2021/22 expectations

Jareth

Also we were the only team in the league that had to suspend training and close our facilities dye to the pandemic. We gad a 2 week period where we were unable to train. Whilst I'm not doing a full statistical analysis of each game but if you look at our games following that layoff. 

Man City goals conceded at 79 and 90. Burnley goals conceded at 76 and 79, West ham goals conceded at 51, 56 and 83. In the 5 games following our layoff we conceded 5 goals later than 75 minutes. I think you could certainly call into question our fitness on those games due to the covid outbreak. Especially if players like mcginn may have had it. 

Also whilst everyone talked about the time grealish missed but look at the time Cash missed. El mohammedy was at fault for the 2 goals in the loss against Leicester and the goal against Sheffield United, the 94th minute Newcastle goal was because he couldn't close out and mcginn couldn't be arsed, felt he was at fault for at least one of the Palace goals if not 2. It certainly cost us a large number of points and once we switched to konsa at RB we beat the team that finished 7th and the team finished 3rd.

Edited by MotoMkali
  • Like 2

I think we are going to surprise a fair few next season. Definitely in with a shot at top 6 if Buendia clicks and we keep our key players mostly fit. 

Edited by Villa87

We need top 6. Given the ambition of our owners I suspect Dean would be under pressure, if not let go if we didn't achieve this. 

Also getting European football is the only chance we have of retaining Jack imo.

8 minutes ago, Tez500 said:

We need top 6. Given the ambition of our owners I suspect Dean would be under pressure, if not let go if we didn't achieve this. 

Also getting European football is the only chance we have of retaining Jack imo.

I think we should certainly been in the debate for top 6 if NSWE spend this summer as we expect/is mooted.  A couple of more quality signings and a bit of squad depth and we should be well equipped for the challenge.  A front 3 of Grealish, Ollie and Buendia is sooooo exciting!

If we didn't get European football next season I suspect the time would be right to let Jack go for a very large sum of money and then look to improve the squad in a few areas and consolidate as a top 8 team. Look at Leicester who sold Kante and Mahrez and are still up there fighting for top 4. What I want is Villa to be a permanent fixture up there in the top half every season and in the mix for Europe and the Cups every season. 

Jack is just one player. If he left next summer hopefully it would be after a couple of early summer signings which again improve the squad. With Chukwuemeka hopefully having impressed in his first season. With Barry to add into the mix for wide left, Buendia and Traore having good seasons. 

Selling Jack is like paying the entire transfer fees for Watkins, Cash, Buendia, Martinez & Traore with some change to spare. That's 5 top Premier League players. It won't be the end of the world if he goes given the fee he'll command. I feel if we can get Europe and have a great season he will stay though

• Like 2

I want to see a banner permanently added at Villa Park to the 5 traitors and the ineffective pathetic cowardly FA that doesn't punish mutiny and club's that threaten to kill off the entire sport.

I'm not the best with banners in English, but it needs to happen. Something like "Five traitors and an approving FA - we won't forget" would be enough. 

That would genuinly please me more than us finishing top 6. 

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I want to see a banner permanently added at Villa Park to the 5 traitors and the ineffective pathetic cowardly FA that doesn't punish mutiny and club's that threaten to kill off the entire sport.

I'm not the best with banners in English, but it needs to happen. Something like "Five traitors and an approving FA - we won't forget" would be enough. 

That would genuinly please me more than us finishing top 6. 

5 traitors?   Which one of the 6 are you not counting?

8th to 5th for me would be a great improvement, especially when you look at the points we threw away in the last 12 games. Those realistically achievable dropped points would have gotten us champions league placing.

I also think we may buy a couple more 30 million pound types and seriously go for one of the cups this season to try and enhance our standing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

Right then the two signings we've added to the squad means for me now we're going to easily challenge for the top 8 positions if not higher.

As long as we keep hold of a certain someone. 

1 minute ago, Xela said:

As long as we keep hold of a certain someone. 

If we lose that certain someone we will be able to buy some decent players for the £200million plus we receive for him.

However that certain someone will be playing for us next season.

Originally I said finishing 10th or 11th would still be decent. And to some extent I still believe that, there are other clubs fighting for those top 6 or 7 places. 

But the more I see and hear, the more I'm starting to believe we could do something special next year. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

What would your expectations drop to if Jack left?

I would take 12th right now. It would be a huge battle to adjust.

Would depend on what we did with the money and who we brought in. Grealish is worth a lot of money, so much we could afford Harry Kane....

But if we had no replacements beyond what we currently have than yeah I would go 15th (ish) but with relegation worries.

We have good to great players outside of Jack but he is the keystone of the whole bridge.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

On 12/06/2021 at 08:07, CVByrne said:

If we didn't get European football next season I suspect the time would be right to let Jack go for a very large sum of money and then look to improve the squad in a few areas and consolidate as a top 8 team. Look at Leicester who sold Kante and Mahrez and are still up there fighting for top 4. What I want is Villa to be a permanent fixture up there in the top half every season and in the mix for Europe and the Cups every season. 

Jack is just one player. If he left next summer hopefully it would be after a couple of early summer signings which again improve the squad. With Chukwuemeka hopefully having impressed in his first season. With Barry to add into the mix for wide left, Buendia and Traore having good seasons. 

Selling Jack is like paying the entire transfer fees for Watkins, Cash, Buendia, Martinez & Traore with some change to spare. That's 5 top Premier League players. It won't be the end of the world if he goes given the fee he'll command. I feel if we can get Europe and have a great season he will stay though

I think a squad would take some improving to compensate for Jack.

I would suspect, we will never sign a more influential or flamboyant player as Jack, The only reason we have him, is because we produced him.

The only time Jack will leave Villa, is when he is ready and it will be a sad day, if it happens.....but whilst our owners show the ambition they do, Jack will stay around, to see what we can do.

I think Jack will always give us the benefit of the doubt.

• 2 weeks later...
Â