2021/22 expectations

Jareth

In the initial poll I said 11th - 14th.  But Buendia changes that massively.  I think we have 2 more similar level signings in the pipeline and so am going for 6th or 7th.

I don't k ow if we will do it. But I think we have to finish 7th or higher or win a cup. We need to be in some form of European Cup next season to keep Jack. 

As in 2022/23

Edited by MotoMkali

Prediction is lots of fun. 

Extremely well scouted talents mixed with young players with 2 years of premier experience and the cream of our youth breaking into the squad and tearing things up 

Whatever league position that brings us lets wait and see . 

And Deano with another year of experience showing improvements in his management. 

Depends on who else is brought in, but Buendia is a transformative addition, as long as Grealish stays put. If we don't add any more players and stay injury free, we should finish about 6th place. If we add 2-3 more quality players, we should be able to challenge for the Champions League.

• Like 1

KMitch's Premier League 21-22 season predictions:

• Man City win the Premier League by a landslide...  Again...
  • Chelsea finish 2nd after Tuchel pushes on from this past season
  • Liverpool and ManUre finish a close 3rd/4th behind Chelsea
  • Leicester, Spurs, Everton (If NES joins), Arsenal and Villa battle it out for 5-9th.  This all depends on who takes over the Spurs/Everton manager positions, summer signings, and injuries to key players.  No idea how this shakes out at this point in the window.  
  • West Ham falls off a bit next season to mid table.  The additional European matches will take their toll on the squad.
  • Bielsa's Leeds finally runs out of gas and slips into the bottom half of the table
  • Brighton improves and avoids a relegation battle.  They played a lot better than their record showed this past season.
  • Norwich and Brentford fail to invest in enough quality to keep them up, who choose financial stability to betting the house on new signings
  • Watford will spend more than the others, but it won't be enough.  The gap between the bottom 3 and 17th will be large again.

6 hours ago, KMitch said:

• Leicester, Spurs, Everton (If NES joins), Arsenal and Villa battle it out for 5-9th.  This all depends on who takes over the Spurs/Everton manager positions, summer signings, and injuries to key players.  No idea how this shakes out at this point in the window.  
  • West Ham falls off a bit next season to mid table.  The additional European matches will take their toll on the squad.
  • Bielsa's Leeds finally runs out of gas and slips into the bottom half of the table
  • Brighton improves and avoids a relegation battle.  They played a lot better than their record showed this past season.
  • Norwich and Brentford fail to invest in enough quality to keep them up, who choose financial stability to betting the house on new signings
  • Watford will spend more than the others, but it won't be enough.  The gap between the bottom 3 and 17th will be large again.

Sounds extremely believable.  I'll save myself the effort and say,  I think this ^

We’ll have an amazing first half of a season where we will be top 4. We will then go 10 games without a win and 95% of VT will be suicidal, especially me. We will then finish the season with a flourish, finishing 7th. Some unfortunate individual will then start a Rashica thread and the fish puns will commence.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, KMitch said:

Good post. I’m not sure I think Leeds and West Ham will drop off, though. I think they’ll both invest. 

We have to be prepared for an almighty fight in that ‘best of the rest’ category, as I think the competition there will be mega strong.

2 hours ago, M_Afro said:

We’ll have an amazing first half of a season where we will be top 4. We will then go 10 games without a win and 95% of VT will be suicidal, especially me. We will then finish the season with a flourish, finishing 7th. Some unfortunate individual will then start a Rashica thread and the fish puns will commence.

Felt like I was on a roller coaster just reading this. Can’t imagine what it would be like if it actually happened.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Agree with this. I'd happily take finishing 11th again and win a Cup.

Finishing 11th would be a real step backwards even if we won a cup. That would be around 50-55 points again and that's way too many games for us to be losing again. When we see improvements in the league positions our cup runs will follow. 

1 minute ago, Lord Willard said:

Finishing 11th would be a real step backwards even if we won a cup. That would be around 50-55 points again and that's way too many games for us to be losing again. When we see improvements in the league positions our cup runs will follow. 

Sorry, I've always lacked ambition in life. 

You are right though--my point was really trying to emphasise how much I would love to see Villa win a Cup competition.

17 hours ago, KMitch said:

a lot of this i think is fairly accurate, however it's very rare that the 3 promoted teams all go down. i'm sure at least one (but probably not norwich) will stay up at the expense of someone like burnley (especially if dyche leaves) or palace (if zaha leaves and they get the next manager appointment wrong)

i wouldn't rule out southampton either. whilst ward-prowse might not sign for us, the rumours of him leaving are potentially his agent sounding out a move plus ings is linked with a move away. they lose those two they're in trouble. and they only finished 15th even with them.

15 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

i disagree. winning a cup gets you european football remember.

Â