2021/22 expectations

Jareth

21 hours ago, sidcow said:

In all seriousness I've twice been to Wembley and seen us lift the League Cup. I've twice been to Wembley and seen us fail to turn up for FA Cup finals. 

I would dearly dearly love to win the FA Cup. 

It's been way too long.  For a good chunk of my life we'd won it more times than any other club.  Now due to the dominance of the top 4 all those years we've fallen well behind. Would be nice to start catching up again. 

this

• Like 2

Anywhere 7th to 10th and I’ll be happy. A points & position improvement from last season is all that’s needed imo. This league gets harder just to stay still every year for teams outside the protected mega rich so even 10th would be an achievement. Anything better than 7th and that would be truly amazing. 

If we can get lucky with injuries, form and get a new striker to support Ollie and a new midfield engine type player and we will be on the way. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

If we can get lucky with injuries, form and get a new striker to support Ollie and a new midfield engine type player and we will be on the way. 

Exactly.

The last thing we want next season is Jack getting Injured again for a lengthy period.

Top 10 and a cup final would be good.

Top 8 and/or a cup win would be amazing.

Anything better than that and the box of tissues will have to come out.

I don't think there's much risk of Jack leaving this season, but if he has an amazing Euros (which I'm not convinced he'll have the opportunity to show) we really will need european football the following season to keep him. I'm sure that will be the target.

• Like 2

I generally like to wait until the transfer window is closed before mulling over expectations, you just never know who might yet walk in through the Villa gate,  or who might walk out of the gates! However we’ve started the summer window in very positive fashion, and all the noises seem to indicate further quality incomings. Should we finish the window with new signings Buendia, JWP, and a-n-other CDM of similar ilk….as well as retaining Grealish…..then we should probably target 5th-7th. IF we have an even better summer window then we could think about nicking 4th with a fair wind behind us. I think we’ll be better next season and one or two teams above us are stagnating, and one or two might not fair as well as they did this season. We can realistically target finishing above Arsenal & Spurs, two clubs in a bit of disarray. I also don’t see Everton fairing any better with Ancellotti leaving, and no way are West Ham having another season like they just had. Leeds I don’t expect to have the necessary funds to kick on much further, and I’m sure teams will have worked them out better for next season. 
So that’s five clubs I’ve mentioned that we can realistically target to finish above. I think we should start the season targeting 20 wins, which is four more than we managed this season. I also think that’s realistic. 

• Like 1

I know I've been more pessimistic before, but getting Buendia has made me a lot more optimistic with my expectations.

I'm thinking, anywhere between 11th to 6th should be within expectations. Anything more and we would've had an incredible season. Anything less and questions should start to be asked of Smith.

You might think this is too harsh considering we only just finished 11th this season. But look at the table, there's a pretty big gap between us and every one below us. If we do so poorly that we fall back into that pack again, then that should be worthy of criticism.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

I don't think Villa will win more games next season.  Maybe 1+...getting us to 17-18 wins.  But I can see us turning more losses into Draws.   That will help us climb the table, dropping less points.

Assuming our injuries are similar to this past season (no season ending ones) I can see us in that 65 point range next season.  That is typically top7, and occasionally top4.

I too am very hopeful that we make a deep cup run this coming season and grab a trophy.  Given our success against the top teams this year, we certainly have a good shot with an improved squad.

Edited by ejs1111
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

60 points 

Exactly this, positions don’t matter when you are looking to progress to the positions that do matter.

assuming we spend this summer what we did last I will be looking for 60 points.

On 08/06/2021 at 14:30, sidcow said:

In all seriousness I've twice been to Wembley and seen us lift the League Cup. I've twice been to Wembley and seen us fail to turn up for FA Cup finals. 

I would dearly dearly love to win the FA Cup. 

It's been way too long.  For a good chunk of my life we'd won it more times than any other club.  Now due to the dominance of the top 4 all those years we've fallen well behind. Would be nice to start catching up again. 

I think I want us to win the FA Cup more than any other trophy, not sure why.

That's the one we've all "won" when playing as kids, so it's maybe the most magical?

As for the actual question posed... to get into the top half, we have to overtake one team from last year - Leeds and West Ham look like the obvious candidates. Confident we can do that.

Top 8 would mean both of those plus one of probably Arsenal or Everton. Not impossible given Everton changing manager again.

Top 6 is those 4 plus Spurs and Leicester... I think thats a big ask, even with our optimism and spending power. It'll take another season til we're ready for that in my opinion.

7th or 8th, and 2 good cup showings would please me

A huge disclaimer that we should not expect top 6 - but there may be a very good chance.

If Grealish is fully fit the entire season, we may have gotten 65 points. At least for this season it could be the case.

So with new additions such as Buendia, we should be able to stabilize our performance further to carve out a smoother route to the 65 points we wanted.

Can we win 50% of all our games? I think there’s a good chance.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ejs1111 said:

I don't think Villa will win more games next season.  Maybe 1+...getting us to 17-18 wins.  But I can see us turning more losses into Draws.   That will help us climb the table, dropping less points.

Assuming our injuries are similar to this past season (no season ending ones) I can see us in that 65 point range next season.  That is typically top7, and occasionally top4.

I too am very hopeful that we make a deep cup run this coming season and grab a trophy.  Given our success against the top teams this year, we certainly have a good shot with an improved squad.

I think our success against the top half was sustainable especially since we missed Jack for a few.

The games against the bottom we should massively improve on with Buendia and ideally a couple other players. If watkins scores a few more we should improve. 

For me the biggest thing is we only got like 8 pts from losing positions a season. We need to get better at that. Most teams were in the top half were in the 15-20 range. United were miles ahead in the 30s. But I think we get to 12-15 pts from behind plus 2 extra wins against teams at the bottom we should have spanked. I think we could definitely get an extra 10-15pts next season. I think 62 should be the minimum aim but ideally 65-70 which would have us in the running for CL until the last few games (historically it is 70 pts for CL but the last few seasons it has been lower so maybe 65 would be enough for that competition). 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

I think I want us to win the FA Cup more than any other trophy, not sure why.

That's the one we've all "won" when playing as kids, so it's maybe the most magical?

As for the actual question posed... to get into the top half, we have to overtake one team from last year - Leeds and West Ham look like the obvious candidates. Confident we can do that.

Top 8 would mean both of those plus one of probably Arsenal or Everton. Not impossible given Everton changing manager again.

Top 6 is those 4 plus Spurs and Leicester... I think thats a big ask, even with our optimism and spending power. It'll take another season til we're ready for that in my opinion.

7th or 8th, and 2 good cup showings would please me

I want us to win either of the cups we need to stamp our name on some trophies at some point in the coming years. Winning breeds winning.

Not having won anything in 25 years is terrible and not winning the FA Cup in 64 years is just a joke.

• Like 1

My expectations are rising.  I think 6th is achievable based on the situations at other clubs, plus our own intelligent investments. 

Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea should expect and probably will be the top 4.

Leicester should be able to continue their form and will probably expect 5th as a minimum,  and hope to be breaking the top 4.

Other than that,  we stand a chance of finishing above anyone.

West Ham are likely to be one season wonders, I don't particularly rate a lot of their team, and think they massively over achieved.

Arsenal, Spurs and Everton are all in a bit of a bad place, either unable to sign players, or losing their manager/ best player.

Honestly,  I think Leeds pose more of a challenge than most of the above teams, but even they will probably have a more difficult time of it than they did this season. 

There isn't much bad about us going into this season,  but long injuries to Watkins,  Martinez, or one of our centre backs leaves us exposed. Of course,  Jack too, but i feel with Buendia arriving, his loss would actually be less painful than any of the others I listed above

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I know I've been more pessimistic before, but getting Buendia has made me a lot more optimistic with my expectations.

I'm thinking, anywhere between 11th to 6th should be within expectations. Anything more and we would've had an incredible season. Anything less and questions should start to be asked of Smith.

You might think this is too harsh considering we only just finished 11th this season. But look at the table, there's a pretty big gap between us and every one below us. If we do so poorly that we fall back into that pack again, then that should be worthy of criticism.

Speaking as someone who sometimes thinks you are a bit harsh, that's very reasonable. 

I love Smith, but if we don't improve on last years position he is likely to be the bottleneck. 

I can't see any team that finished below us last season finishing above us next season. Teams above us that we reasonably should be able to catch are Everton (no Ancelotti)

Leeds ( 2nd season) Arsenal ( in a little bit of trauma atm), West Ham ( over achievers last year) and if they don't get the right manager even Spurs. S I'd say a top 6 finish is a

real possibility if we get the type of players that are spoken of. UTV

Â