2021/22 expectations

Jareth

With our opening fixture list i think we could easily do like last season and get 4 straight wins.

Dean just got to learn to trust his squad and rotate more. Can't pick the same 11 players every game first part of the season like last time.

Injuries will inevitably start to rack up if you do that, not to mention heavy fatigue.

Jack getting injured certainly didn't help but our players genuinely looked tired. If Dean want to go to the next level he needs to learn better squad management.

Half the league is in turmoil with rebuilds or very recently appointed  managers. If we keep Jack and somehow give him a break post Euros and get him properly for the start of the season or add such depth that we can ease him (and Luiz post olympics) back in then this could be a very special season. 

1 hour ago, DakotaVilla said:

Half the league is in turmoil with rebuilds or very recently appointed  managers. If we keep Jack and somehow give him a break post Euros and get him properly for the start of the season or add such depth that we can ease him (and Luiz post olympics) back in then this could be a very special season. 

At the same time ManUtd just signed Sancho and are likely to bring in Varane. Leicester have all their ducks in a row. The top 5 is pretty much set.  Looks like it will be 5-6 clubs (Arsenal, Spurs, Everton, Leeds, West Ham and Villa) fighting for the 6th position.

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/07/2021 at 14:56, DakotaVilla said:

The worst COVID outbreak in the league may have had something to do with the drop off in performance. 

We won 2 out of 4 games after coming back. Of the two defeats was Man. City who we held up to 81st minute and then conceded that offside goal and the other at Burnley we were excellent for 70 minutes and then defended horribly.

Think in the first 6-7 games after the covid stoppage we only made about 4 changes to the team between each game and for example in the 1-0 at Southampton we made our first sub in the 94th minute.

Dosen't suggest really a squad completely done after 60 minutes after a few of them had covid unless Dean just ignored medical advice which I find hard to believe.

It's an easy thing to say but really our general performances were much worse in March and April if you look back at some of the results.

We need to get better at negotiating the tricky Feb-April schedule which last 20 years always derails us when in promising position.

Happened in the MON seasons and while above covid is being blame for last season ultimately we just spent two months not really having a clue how to play without Jack. There was at least a bit of improvement just before he returned and Buendia should be good enough to take on that role this season for games he's unavailable for.

Only times I can recall us being really good in those months is when we're battling relegation and went on a run under Sherwood or Lambert. Rarely happens when established in top half.

8th feels right to me for this season with how our squad currently looks. Still weak for cover at CB and striker so if we can fill those two positions with decent players on the bench possible we could push for top 6 but would need a good start. Possible with the fixtures, 7 points from first 3 should be do-able.

To many we’re plucky Villa, no more, no less.

Truth is they don’t see where we’ve been, where we are now and where we want to get to. They’re too busy dealing with their  own clubs.

We will surprise loads this season. It used to piss me off when we’d play Brentford as they always cut us to shreds and it was Dean Smith behind that team. 

He is now building his squad here, for his type of football and I think we will push very strongly for 4th-6th this season.

I know that’s overly optimistic for a Villa fan and I should be all doom n gloom, but I’m f£&@ing excited for this season and can’t help myself 😁

UTV

With good squad management we could push for top 6.

Unfortunately i think Smith will go in the same trap again, like MON.

He will play the same 11-12 players every week and we will burn out pile up on injuries after Christmas.

Think we'll end up somewhere between 12th-10th

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

With good squad management we could push for top 6.

Unfortunately i think Smith will go in the same trap again, like MON.

He will play the same 11-12 players every week and we will burn out pile up on injuries after Christmas.

Think we'll end up somewhere between 12th-10th

Haven't even played a pre season game yet and it's started. 

Bored Parks And Recreation GIF by HULU

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Â