Breakaway League

Jareth

5 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

The amazing thing about this is football fans' delusion. Talk of boycotting etc. The owners of these clubs coiuldnt give two shits what British fans think of this move. If they did, they wouldnt have done it. All they care about is that fans around the world will pay to watch it and they will. What British fans do or dont do doesnt matter. They knew the reaction this would get and still did it so that should tell you all you need to know. Nothing fans do will change anything, did protests stop these owners buying the clubs? No. Fans dont matter and its about time people realised this.

Yep. They know they can survive without fans in the stands now so we mean absolutely nothing. 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I wonder if FIFA and UEFA can force the PL's hands on this though. It's not sure the PL can actually let these clubs keep playing in the league.

I suspect UEFA could ban Premier League clubs from playing in any European competition while there are SL clubs playing in the league. 

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

Ot does make you wonder how the fans of these teams will take this?

Literally zero consideration has been given to them!

The ‘fans’ with the deeper pockets are finance bros on Wall Street, foreign audiences, and stream subscribers. 

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

thats the thing, the 6 clubs can argue that they want to play in both competitions and that the SL only replaces the CL, the PL theoretically only loses money if they kick them out, thats a PL decision not the 6

In theory yes but you tell me in the next round of tv deals would the PL get the same? It would be a glorified training match for the want away 6. Why bother trying and risk getting star players injured when you have already qualified for the super league?

They will probably offer the play the U23 team for domestic games and the best for midweek.

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

completely agree

seen some stuff from city fans saying they've been going home and away for 30 years good times and bad they're from manchester and this that and the other....they spend £0 in the club shop, they spend £0 on food and drink inside the ground because they drink at a local, they go alone or in groups with other season ticket holders...they dont want you there, they want the family of 4 travelling in for the day from who cares where, buying tat, in the ground 2 hours before kick off, photo with the david silva statue, overpriced drinks and burgers, £800 day out

this traditional fan stuff is going to die and they actually want that, theres more money in 60,000 day trippers

yep...no question the stadiums will still be full. fans probably won't even need to be segregated

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

The amazing thing about this is football fans' delusion. Talk of boycotting etc. The owners of these clubs coiuldnt give two shits what British fans think of this move. If they did, they wouldnt have done it. All they care about is that fans around the world will pay to watch it and they will. What British fans do or dont do doesnt matter. They knew the reaction this would get and still did it so that should tell you all you need to know. Nothing fans do will change anything, did protests stop these owners buying the clubs? No. Fans dont matter and its about time people realised this.

But you think global fans will go to each game week in week out? No chance. Like OT most of their fans are from that area

Edited by Demitri_C

If I was a Tottenham or Chelsea fan today I'd probably switch allegiances to Brentford. If my beloved Villa did this I would tear up my relationship with them too. It's beyond me how nasty American capitalists are trying to ruin the biggest sport on Earth.

• Like 1

Best thing fans could do (when allowed to return) would be to boycott the SL matches. It would be embarrassing for them to play in empty grounds when the PL matches were full.

Won't happen though, too many "tourist" fans will fill the grounds

1 minute ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I suspect UEFA could ban Premier League clubs from playing in any European competition while there are SL clubs playing in the league. 

Why would these clubs care about being kicked out of Uefas competition when they would generate more income from the SL?

These are global clubs with massive global fanbases. Whereever they go they will always fill the stadiums and generate a ridiculous amount of income.

Just now, Genie said:

Best thing fans could do (when allowed to return) would be to boycott the SL matches. It would be embarrassing for them to play in empty grounds when the PL matches were full.

Won't happen though, too many "tourist" fans will fill the grounds

if that started to happen they'd just move the SL games to other cities around the world

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Milfner said:

Yep. They know they can survive without fans in the stands now so we mean absolutely nothing. 

I do believe that they have been this short sighted.

The players however, keep going on that they miss the fans in the stand. Short term solution to this will be that they go out and play these games in Asia or North America where people don't care about the tradition or link with a city. Again, short term, because players will start to notice that they are constantly flying around the world. These are still people with families. There plenty of examples of players going to China for the big money but returning within a year or two because they miss their families or get homesick. Other way around, they all have built fancy stadiums over the last few years, so they can't leave these to rot. I guess in london you can attract a lot of people from all over the world, but I doubt people for China have been dreaming of flying to Liverpool or Manchester to go and watch a game when they can do it at home.

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I cant wait to see spurs finish bottom every year then all their fans will be moaning and begging to come  back

The owners don't care what the fans will think, it's all about money.

1 minute ago, magnkarl said:

If I was a Tottenham or Chelsea fan today I'd probably switch allegiances to Brentford. If my beloved Villa did this I would tear up my relationship with them too. It's beyond me how nasty American capitalists are trying to ruin the biggest sport on Earth.

Maybe but look at FC United after the Glazer take over. They used to get about 1-2,000 diehards a week. Man U continued to sell out every home game with even more plastics.

Its like King Canute stemming the tide. Let the water engulf you my friend.

Any manager with any shred of integrity would come out and condemn these plans, and that includes the managers of the so called big six. 

The money might suit their immediate aims but what happens when they lose their job? Are they guaranteed a job with another spastic league club? If not, then they’ll be back to the normal leagues without unlimited funds to rely on. Short term thinking and self interest is rife in this. 

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

But you think global fans will go to each game week in week out? No chance. Like OT most of their fans are from that area

Then they'll move the games to where the fans who do want to attend are... 

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

No they wont but the owners wont care. The TV rights sold around the world is all they care about. How many fans attend if irrelevant. The owners are 1000s of miles away and wouldnt even notice.

Â