Breakaway League

Jareth

The top European leagues are pretty much a closed shop already when looking at league winners, and pretty much for the teams who finish in the CL places. It's the same teams always making it through to the Champions League latter stages too.

Don't these teams have enough of an advantage over every other club already? The breakaway league is a purely and simply a cash grab.

Being a cynical git, there's no way these clubs are going to come away worse when all is said and done. The drawbridge will be lifted further to protect the cartel.

So-called ‘Big 6’ called this the Championship on steroids or the death of the English game, but I’d much rather watch this league. Invest in officiating levels, bin VAR, and give more equity to lower league teams. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

A minor point, but one I'm compelled to make, I'd that we shouldn't be abbreviating this to ESL.

It's not a European Super League, it's The Super League.

They've purposely left the European bit out so they can play matches in Qatar and Beijing, or invite Inter Miami to take part.

Location is irrelevant to a TV show.

That’s a good point. 

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

A minor point, but one I'm compelled to make, I'd that we shouldn't be abbreviating this to ESL.

They've purposely left the European bit out so they can play matches in Qatar and Beijing, or invite Inter Miami to take part.

Removed so they can play games in the Middle East etc because that's the only way they'll probably get fans to go to these games. 🤣

Just now, NurembergVillan said:

I’m waiting for when they’ll all inevitably rebrand like American Football franchises - Manchester Red Devils, Manchester Blue Citizens and Liverpool Bin Dippers etc

The next step would be then be the selling of a franchise and it being relocated lock stock and barrel to another country... (I would seriously chuckle at that!) 

Also, I notice there has been no response from any other major club not involved in the super League yet. I guess there are going to be major discussions about this before any statements are made. Unless I missed something.

Edited by Lichfield Dean

Man United versus Barcelona might seem exciting now, but after 25 games over 5 years it’ll just be another case of playing for the draw in a boring encounter. 

These clubs are idiots. Kick them out. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Just a shame that the German and French are coming across as ethical titans here.

But well done I guess

germans are half owned by the fans (apart from leipzig) so you can see why that wont happen

there was a rumour yesterday that the head of the french FA has something to do with UEFA or someone at UEFA as well as the PSG owner being on a few boards at UEFA so thats why they're currently saying no

When Florentino Perez became president of Real Madrid it was the year Man City got relegated back to the Championship in 2000-2001, their top goal scorer was Shaun Goater. 

I hope the City fans who stuck with their club all those years walk away from Frankenstein’s monster of a league. 

My main worry about all this is not the 'Super League'.

It's the fact that UEFA and FIFA panic and cave into their demands for more money and work on a plan to redistribute more money to these teams. Effectively ending the competitiveness of football in Europe.

• Like 2

Just now, Genie said:

SAF seems to be against it, I wonder how much sway he still has at United.

the interesting thing on his comments was that he doesnt believe it to be true because no one at the club has spoken to him about it, almost like he still has some sort of Godfather role there

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wilko154 said:

A simple solution to all of this. 

Kick out each team from their respective leagues at the end of the season (or before).

Restructure the English leagues in a new format much as it is now, Premier League (or renamed), Championship, League 1 and League 2. Shuffle the teams in the highest positions; it also gives an opportunity to reduce league sizes if required due to the amount of games in a season.

Champions League and Europa League places are given in league order at the end of this season.

FIFA to ban all players from the Super League from participating in international football.

Then just carry on as normal and let the Super League rot. It's all well and good having money; but they are restricted in their own little world. How many of those players and the fans of those teams want to be there.

As someone else mentioned; I'm not interested in any of those teams. My interests lie with Aston Villa Football Club; we watched them play Championship teams for 3 seasons without taking much notice of the so called bIG 6, they won't be missed.

Totally agree about restructuring the league.

The Premier League could take this as an opportunity to reduce the numbers to 18 teams and therefore allow for an official winter break.

id also like to see the football league go to 3 tiers of 20 teams.

there could be some serious reform opportunities on the back of this, but first things first we need to resolve the immediate futures of the greedy 6. 

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

Makes me wonder if players who don’t want to be a part of the “Super League”, will jump the other way, for example, is Harry Kane going to want to play for Tottenham, and let’s be honest, lose most games, and no longer have the change to become one of England’s best strikers in the record books when he is on the cusp of it.

Some Players who know they already earn more then enough will be feeling morally sick this morning and would rather not be associated with these 12 clubs, will be interested to see what players will stay and who will go. 

Ronaldo is probably the big one, he is a proud Portuguese player and wants that international goal record as well

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

The top European leagues are pretty much a closed shop already when looking at league winners, and pretty much for the teams who finish in the CL places. It's the same teams always making it through to the Champions League latter stages too.

Don't these teams have enough of an advantage over every other club already? The breakaway league is a purely and simply a cash grab.

Being a cynical git, there's no way these clubs are going to come away worse when all is said and done. The drawbridge will be lifted further to protect the cartel.

Arsenal and Liverpool will not qualify for the Champions league this year. 

Tottenham have hardly ever qualified. 

Arsenal  not been in for a coupe of years. 

Man United did not. Qualify this year. 

It's not currently a closed shop and they are sick of interlopers cutting them out. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

2 MLS teams, 1 Chinese Super League team, 1 Middle Eastern team and a lottery of the rest of UEFA clubs for the last spot

L.A Galaxy and Inter Miami Beckham. Glamour baby.

Not sure where Red Bull are on this but either them or the City version of N.Y when Man C joins.

Â