Breakaway League

Jareth

Was just talking to my colleague, a big Man Utd fan. First thing he said was "who would be interested in watching this".

Exactly my thoughts. Watching these clubs participating in a non competitive league, where the excitement is completely removed from the match... who would be interested?

Will be interested to see whether they will be removed from domestic leagues and international football though. That really is the kicker.

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Oh they will let them stay. As it means more income for the league.

Don't be fooled and think the Premier League at all care about equality.

All they have done is empty threats to try and stop the Super League from happening so they will keep their money pot not because they care about fairness. Once the inevitable happens and the Super League goes through they will say thank you very much and still grab 5 % of the cake.

thats the way i see it too, too many greedy words removed at the top of the FA and the PL too, those 6 walk away and its directly taking money out of the PLs pockets and all they've ever shown over the last 20 years is an insatiable greed

worryingly whoever said it earlier is right, this will end up in a compromise that does aston villa absolutely no favours, worst case scenario for us is our owners walk away, which to be fair to them if this went ahead then i would too, same with lerner and FFP

8 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I can't really see how the PL will cave and let them stay. The PL are the other 14 clubs. Why would those clubs vote to funnel so much money to the other 6?

But they get the leftovers - despite all said that's the best revenue stream for the remaining 14.

It's a bit like being told your taking a pay cut but offered extra hours overtime.

Just now, PieFacE said:

I'm hoping a player from a "big" club comes out and say they will look to leave if this happens. Someone like Kane doing it would be glorious. Would never happen tho.

Sadly won't happen.

Players and managers will never walk away from this huge pile of money.

This whole thing will really exploit their true morals.

Power needs to be stripped from the scumbags who run these clubs with panels of fans having a controlling stake.

It's time to reset the game and establish that these are clubs, not conglomerates.

Just now, villa4europe said:

thats the way i see it too, too many greedy words removed at the top of the FA and the PL too, those 6 walk away and its directly taking money out of the PLs pockets and all they've ever shown over the last 20 years is an insatiable greed

worryingly whoever said it earlier is right, this will end up in a compromise that does aston villa absolutely no favours, worst case scenario for us is our owners walk away, which to be fair to them if this went ahead then i would too, same with lerner and FFP

I don't actually think it's all of the big 6. Sure they have gone along with the invite. But the instigators appear to be Liverpool and Man U.

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

The Premier League will have to oppose this on grounds of losing money rather than anything else/

thats the thing, the 6 clubs can argue that they want to play in both competitions and that the SL only replaces the CL, the PL theoretically only loses money if they kick them out, thats a PL decision not the 6

10 hours ago, LondonLax said:

We know the knock on effect but what is the alternative? Just give them what they want? A closed champions league mid week where they make hundreds of millions to then spend it distorting the domestic league even more?

What would be the point of being their cannon fodder on the weekend, knowing the European places only go to those clubs, regardless of where we finished and we have virtually no chance of winning the title outright? 

Kick them out.

It will gut the club football pyramid of funds but it will be a fair competition. The history books will still record the trophies won, regardless of the quality of the top flight league. Meanwhile the break away teams will never again add a league title, FA Cup or European Cup to their trophy cabinet.  

I think you misunderstood. I'm all for kicking them out.

By "let them go" I meant the people saying just let them go and do this new competition. It would be a disaster

Just now, hippo said:

I don't actually think it's all of the big 6. Sure they have gone along with the invite. But the instigators appear to be Liverpool and Man U.

Nah it's all of them. It might have been an idea cooked up by a couple but the rest of them have gone along with it for fear of being left out. That doesn't make them innocent, just a little less guilty, but still pretty guilty.

It's not the clubs it's their owners that have done this,  very easy to start blaming fans but no fan i have spoken to from any of these clubs want it to happen. 

We all need to stick together as football fans. 

• Like 1

The amazing thing about this is football fans' delusion. Talk of boycotting etc. The owners of these clubs coiuldnt give two shits what British fans think of this move. If they did, they wouldnt have done it. All they care about is that fans around the world will pay to watch it and they will. What British fans do or dont do doesnt matter. They knew the reaction this would get and still did it so that should tell you all you need to know. Nothing fans do will change anything, did protests stop these owners buying the clubs? No. Fans dont matter and its about time people realised this.

Edited by R.Bear
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, R.Bear said:

The amazing thing about this is football fans' delusion. Talk of boycotting etc. The owners of these clubs coiuldnt give two shits what British fans think of this move. If they did, they wouldnt have done it. All they care about is that fans around the world will pay to watch it and they will. What British fans do or dont know doesnt matter. They knew the reaction this would and still did it so that should tell you all you need to know. Nothing fans do will change anything, did protests stop these owners buying the clubs? No. Fans dont matter and its about time people realised this.

Yeah that's the case. But anyone know how much revenue English fans accounts for? i.e. taking in season tickets, merchandise, social media, ++ is it completely insignificant?

Clubs seem to have blood red books during covid and you would think that had something to do with empty stadiums.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

I’ve got TalkSport on, someone just described it as “Chelsea and the others” suggesting (to me at least) they were ring leaders

Just now, tinker said:

It's not the clubs it's their owners that have done this,  very easy to start blaming fans but no fan i have spoken to from any of these clubs want it to happen. 

We all need to stick together as football fans. 

We need to stick together but a lot of the damage have already been done.

The likes of Glazers and Kroenke have always shown they have never cared about the sport and only cared about money.

Have we as fans done enough to hound these people out? Probably not.

8 hours ago, KMitch said:

Serious question to everyone:

If Villa's owners joined this super league in one of the remaining spots, would you stop supporting the club?  I think many of us would be outraged for a few years, but we'd get over it and continue supporting Villa, no matter which league they played in.  

Yes.  The fringe benefit of which is I'd have no real reason ever to have to go onto the main board again and can happily live out my days in ignorant Off-Topic bliss, perhaps pausing to occasionally delve into the musings of the ~10% of the Leeds fan base who all signed up to post in our Other Football for some reason.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, R.Bear said:

The amazing thing about this is football fans' delusion. Talk of boycotting etc. The owners of these clubs coiuldnt give two shits what British fans think of this move. If they did, they wouldnt have done it. All they care about is that fans around the world will pay to watch it and they will. What British fans do or dont do doesnt matter. They knew the reaction this would get and still did it so that should tell you all you need to know. Nothing fans do will change anything, did protests stop these owners buying the clubs? No. Fans dont matter and its about time people realised this.

completely agree

seen some stuff from city fans saying they've been going home and away for 30 years good times and bad they're from manchester and this that and the other....they spend £0 in the club shop, they spend £0 on food and drink inside the ground because they drink at a local, they go alone or in groups with other season ticket holders...they dont want you there, they want the family of 4 travelling in for the day from who cares where, buying tat, in the ground 2 hours before kick off, photo with the david silva statue, overpriced drinks and burgers, £800 day out

this traditional fan stuff is going to die and they actually want that, theres more money in 60,000 day trippers

• Like 1

Â