Breakaway League

Jareth

1 minute ago, Milfner said:

This is a nice thought, but do you think the majority of players would care when they're earning half a million a week?

Yes, as said in the rest of my post. There's plenty of examples of people moving to China for the money, but come back because they miss family.

Also the support in the asian leagues is not as intense as in europe.

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't think there's any point in this kind of 'counsel of despair' approach. This announcement was phenomenally unpopular; politicians left right and centre are queueing up to denounce it, amongst others. There is no guarantee that anything positive will be done of course, but in life and in politics, there's nothing more disempowering than throwing your hands up and saying 'why would powerful people care what we think anyway'. 

I really dont care whether you dont like it or not, that's how it is. I'm not "throwing my hands up" at all. I'm posting how it is on an internet forum. They don't care and I don't care that they don't care. Being passionate about football is this day and age is a mugs game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Men in power usually finds a way

The BM and Dortmund fan groups have a long history of deposing presidents who go against them. I'm not worried for German football. The league has rules which will disqualify any team that goes to  this league without even getting to court. That means bye bye BM's trophy cabinet, this year's title, Dortmunds glory years etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaJ100 said:

People saying it will damage sky, they will be moving heaven and earth to try and get some broadcast rights

interesting thought...sky are hardly the most well liked broadcaster. if they made a stand against ESL you might find that they gain some brownie points with folks. if they stood against it and instead turned around and announced a larger investment to the EFL, i think it would generate a lot of public support for them

1 minute ago, Paddywhack said:

Anyone else just gutted? 

concerned...i just hope the PL, UEFA, and FIFA stand strong. but FIFA's statement last night was already much softer than the one from january. i'd have expected them to reiterate their stance from Jan, but they did no such thing....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AXD said:

Yes, as said in the rest of my post. There's plenty of examples of people moving to China for the money, but come back because they miss family.

Also the support in the asian leagues is not as intense as in europe.

Yeah, but they'll still be based in England/whichever club they're at now, they just have to travel once a fortnight to another country (which the majority of these clubs do anyway for European fixtures). I don't really think homesickness plays a part.

5 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

People saying it will damage sky, they will be moving heaven and earth to try and get some broadcast rights

It doesn't appear the Super League want to use Sky. They want to keep games in house on PPV streams.

Sky will rightly be shitting themselves. They've paid billions and billions of pounds for the Premier League rights and now they're potentially going to be losing 6 of the biggest fanbases.

This is why there's talk of leagues suing the clubs. Sky and BT will want rebates, and the PL will want that paid for by the clubs

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

interesting thought...sky are hardly the most well liked broadcaster. if they made a stand against ESL you might find that they gain some brownie points with folks. if they stood against it and instead turned around and announced a larger investment to the EFL, i think it would generate a lot of public support for them

Ultimately they exist for their shareholders, not to uphold the morals of the game or protect the fans. Their shareholders will expect them to be involved in this or risk a potential rival gaining market share.

I, like you, think the quickest way to kill this is for all broadcasters to come out and refuse to buy the product. Realistically though, it's not going to happen.

Just now, desensitized43 said:

Ultimately they exist for their shareholders, not to uphold the morals of the game or protect the fans. Their shareholders will expect them to be involved in this or risk a potential rival gaining market share.

I, like you, think the quickest way to kill this is for all broadcasters to come out and refuse to buy the product. Realistically though, it's not going to happen.

as someone said above though, i think this is leaning towards a streaming service. why sell the rights when they could just make a streaming service and keep 100% of the revenue?

21 minutes ago, AXD said:

I do believe that they have been this short sighted.

The players however, keep going on that they miss the fans in the stand. Short term solution to this will be that they go out and play these games in Asia or North America where people don't care about the tradition or link with a city. Again, short term, because players will start to notice that they are constantly flying around the world. These are still people with families. There plenty of examples of players going to China for the big money but returning within a year or two because they miss their families or get homesick. Other way around, they all have built fancy stadiums over the last few years, so they can't leave these to rot. I guess in london you can attract a lot of people from all over the world, but I doubt people for China have been dreaming of flying to Liverpool or Manchester to go and watch a game when they can do it at home.

2 minutes ago, Milfner said:

Yeah, but they'll still be based in England/whichever club they're at now, they just have to travel once a fortnight to another country (which the majority of these clubs do anyway for European fixtures). I don't really think homesickness plays a part.

Please read my initial post again ;)

6 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Anyone else just gutted? 

Yep, I've felt very flat last night and this morning. There will be a human cost to this - football is such a big part of so many peoppes lives, many of them will have their mental health seriously affected if/when this goes through. I hope the PL send a strong message and kick out the clubs involved, but I'm not massively optimistic.

• Like 1

Sky are looking as old hat as a wooden rattle.

It might result in fall off in TV rights for other non football sports like Cricket, tennis, golf etc if the PPV broadcaster model collapses.

Their time could be at an end. Maybe old Murdoch saw this coming a while back when he sold up.

The last 10 years have killed a game that was already heading for trouble, the effects of Lerner and Xia have left us so far behind ever being in a conversation to benefit like these 6 clubs. Even so we are still top 6 in every category but for turnover over the last 10 years.

The rest of the game are being mugged by this greedy buggers who know that they cannot continue losing money whilst clubs like ours are are attempting to compete them now, they are doing it now before its too late.

Utter scum.

11 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

I think this will be a large part of their business model, in the sense that Sky, BeIn, BT, NBC, et al will be cut out of the loop in favour of a direct subscription model.

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Good luck with that. If they think they will get 80k fans week in week out from fans outside the uk they really are stupid

it'll be a travelling circus with a select number of games played at the home grounds and the rest played in venues around the world like Qatar, NY. L.A, Miami, Sydney, Sao Paulo, Baku, Tokyo, China... Think F1 but with home grounds.

• Like 1

Â