Breakaway League

Jareth

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think Ajax would actually jump at the opportunity 

Of course they would, Van Der Sar was the one leading the charge for an expanded Champions League. 

Edited by villa89

There is, in my opinion, zero chance of any real repercussions from the PL for this. 

The league needs the money these clubs bring, so they can do what they want really. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MaVilla said:

the fact these clubs are so proud of this and are blowing hot air up their own ar*es, shows just how completely out of touch with reality they are.

I knew they were out of touch, but i am almost surprised just how out of touch they actually are!, its almost comical.

They aren't. It's marketing - they are probably expecting a backlash - but are now spinning it.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Arsenal and Liverpool will not qualify for the Champions league this year. 

Tottenham have hardly ever qualified. 

Arsenal  not been in for a coupe of years. 

Man United did not. Qualify this year. 

It's not currently a closed shop and they are sick of interlopers cutting them out. 

Historically in the CL era in England it's been 4 from Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, and latterly Man City. In Italy Juventus have won Serie A 9 times on the bounce (I accept they won't this year), Spain is usually Real or Barca, Munich have won the Bundesliga 9 times out of the last 11 (or 16 times since 99), and PSG 7 times out of the last 8. I know Munich nor PSG haven't agreed to join yet but the point I was making is these clubs tend to have the financial advantages already, which is what the SL is blatantly all about.

This cabal of clubs tried to block Man City from joining the party by pushing FFP onto us, and I agree they're pushing for the super league to stop other clubs getting a piece of the pie. On that note, UEFA are as corrupt as an organization gets. They won't risk losing these clubs to another competition, they're cash cows for UEFA. They'll give them more incentive to stay in the CL. Same with the FA and the PL, as much as we may not like it they won't be able to generate the sales and revenue without some of the "Big 6" (Tottenham and Arsenal shouldn't be in this based on current history) remaining in the PL.

Edited by Jonesy7211

No promotion/relegation works so well in American Sports because they are American sports. No other country plays them at a comparable level - and that means their league bodies (the NFL, NBA, etc) can regulate competition through the player draft and the salary cap. It is actually much more competitive than English football due to this i.e. the worst of the 32 teams in the NFL last year will have a far better chance of winning the Superbowl within ten years than Stoke City (currently '32nd' in the English pyramid) have of winning the PL in that timeframe.

However, obviously this new Super League isn't bringing any of the same elements that the NFL/NBA has to redistribute the wealth. It's pure closed-shop stuff. The clubs included will be operating in a different stratosphere with no means of maintaining 'competition'.   

The PL/FA need to quickly recognise that:

• the death of competition will kill their product eventually. It might not happen immediately, but it will happen eventually. Fans won't watch the PL in the same way. 
  • The fans of the 'big six' fans would be appalled if there was no domestic football.

As a result, to save the game in England the PL really need to have an ultimatum that isn't brinksmanship. It's ESL or PL,  not both. Call their bluff.

Edited by Cizzler
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

Then that leaves the other C'ship clubs in the lurch, and then the knock on effect down the line. It's a mess. They've killed the golden goose.

It doesn't affect them, because you can promote clubs from league one, from league one to league 2 etc

A couple of things 

Could this impact on current season relegation ? - IE if west ham and Everton effectively have nothing to play for and are pitched against the strugglers in the season run in ?

I also think the big six aren't as dominant as they once were - you have Leicester and Everton right now - plus there's often a wild card in the top 4 - West Ham this season.

This seems like the last chance saloon for Arsenal, Liverpool to stay in that top six bracket.

I know they won't do it but I hope the PL and other leagues take an incredibly firm stance and kick them out the league. If they wanna play in some super league then go ahead, but they shouldn't also be able to play at domestic level too.

I also think a Super League would fall pretty flat. Would be boring af and genuinely wouldn't be something i'd be interested in watching. 

• Like 1

Part of me wonders if they used covid as a trial run for this. By that I mean the clubs have had zero revenue from fans as stadiums are closed off for over a year now so have weighed up losing fans knowing they’ll get bigger revenues from this league. They obviously couldn’t care less about the fans but the money the fans were bringing in was something I.e season ticket prices.. now that can be offset. Maybe I’m just cynical.

I'm not sure I understand why spurs and arsenal want to get battered every week, but if that's what they want, off they ****. Kick them out of the PL and let them go and be whipping boys.

Just now, Davkaus said:

I'm not sure I understand why spurs and arsenal want to get battered every week, but if that's what they want, off they ****. Kick them out of the PL and let them go and be whipping boys.

£300m - every season Gaurenteed.

Â