Breakaway League

Jareth

13 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Your defeatism is pointless and wrong, but of course you're entitled to it.

Spare me your faux moral outrage. Who am I admitting defeat too and how is it wrong? You're exactly the type of fan I'm referring too. Delusions of self importance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, magnkarl said:

Aston Villa chief executive Christian Purslow says the proposed Super League is a "grotesque concept".

Speaking to BBC Radio Four, he said: "These proposals do away with sporting merit. It would enable a small number of clubs to be in this competition come what may and, for millions of people in football, that goes against everything the sport means and stands for.

"The idea is that the uncertainty that comes with sport, that makes it so compelling, that we all love, is actually damaging to the business model of these huge clubs.

"So the scheme is designed to take away that uncertainty, to give predictability to their businesses so that, if they're badly managed or have a poor year, they're still in the premier tournament. Does that sound like sport or football to you? To me it sounds a grotesque concept."

Beeb

Well done Christian 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The announcement was made 12 hours ago, they were probably asleep and on the way to training now. 

What's more likely, that 1000s of players across all divisions of english football either mysteriously drop off the social media radar because it's past their bedtime or all of a sudden they don't have the time, or they've been told by their clubs and the PFA to stay clear of a controversial topic.

2 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Spare me your faux moral outrage. Who am I admitting defeat too and how is it wrong? You're exactly the type of fan I'm referring too. Delusions of self importance.

Nah, I'll respond to the posts I want to respond to thanks. You're welcome to put me on 'ignore' if you don't want to read my contributions 👍

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Yes they do, but UEFA and the domestic leagues are saying they'll be banned from their domestic leagues if they go ahead

That's the big decision isn't it. Whether the domestic leagues enact that threat.

Would the PL risk the revenue loss? I envision that a 'compromise' will be reached. With the PL trumpeting the heralding of the brave new era of modern football. They will probably offer a token gesture. Like highest finishing team (outside of founding SL members) entering a playoff to enter the SL for a season.

3 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Aston Villa chief executive Christian Purslow says the proposed Super League is a "grotesque concept".

Speaking to BBC Radio Four, he said: "These proposals do away with sporting merit. It would enable a small number of clubs to be in this competition come what may and, for millions of people in football, that goes against everything the sport means and stands for.

"The idea is that the uncertainty that comes with sport, that makes it so compelling, that we all love, is actually damaging to the business model of these huge clubs.

"So the scheme is designed to take away that uncertainty, to give predictability to their businesses so that, if they're badly managed or have a poor year, they're still in the premier tournament. Does that sound like sport or football to you? To me it sounds a grotesque concept."

Beeb

I was trying to figure out how to express my thoughts on this. No need now. This perfectly sums it up. 

4 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Beeb

The EFL would say that we had a inbuilt advantage in the Championship with our parachute payments and more so with our jiggery-pokery in selling the ground off to the owners.

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I would hand on heart walk from villa if they signed up to this garbage

You might.

But if you were being paid millions of pounds by a club to play football would you come out within hours of the announcement and speak out against it? I doubt it. Especially if you've been told not to which they probably have.

It's easy for us to say. 

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

The EFL would say that we had a inbuilt advantage in the Championship with our parachute payments and more so with our jiggery-pokery in selling the ground off to the owners.

No. That analogy would only be apt, if we were guaranteed at least a playoff place because of our 'footballing tradition' regardless of our performance over the season.

• Like 2

Â