Pre match thread

mottaloo

4 hours ago, turvontour said:

Surely that's exactly relegation form, isnt it?

It's a very small sample size with games but in any case 38 points very rarely sends you down, it was the exact points total we stayed up on under McLeish, Lambert and Sherwood. And would've kept us up with a game or two to spare last season.

I think if we can win tomorrow as we should then 2 wins out of 5 without Jack isn't too bad and a draw with a Wolves team that has properly picked up is o.k aswell. We lost 4 out of 5 with Jack playing every minute in November.

• Like 2

With the team news we have, I'd expect 2 changes. Cash in for Elmo and el ghazi for trez. 

Keep the midfield 3 the same, it worked well, particularly first half against wolves. They will be ugly to play against so we need to earn the right to win. That midfield 3 gives us the balance of being able to earn the right to play and being able to play when we can.

We can get at these behind their full backs, I noticed west brom had a lot of joy in the channels. Perfect game for cash to come back and overlap traore and give targett a bit more freedom to get forward too, particularly with a hard working midfield 3.

2 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

With the team news we have, I'd expect 2 changes. Cash in for Elmo and el ghazi for trez. 

Keep the midfield 3 the same, it worked well, particularly first half against wolves. They will be ugly to play against so we need to earn the right to win. That midfield 3 gives us the balance of being able to earn the right to play and being able to play when we can.

We can get at these behind their full backs, I noticed west brom had a lot of joy in the channels. Perfect game for cash to come back and overlap traore and give targett a bit more freedom to get forward too, particularly with a hard working midfield 3.

Will Traore be fit?

Emi

Cash        konsa       mings       targett

Doug

Mcginn     sanson

Traore              watkins              aeg

Surely we have enough with that team

• Like 4

9 hours ago, the_eristic said:

I'd have Almiron here. I got to watch him every week for a couple years in a proper attacking side before his move to Newcastle, think he'd be excellent in our team and really strengthen our squad as he can cover both wings, CAM and even play as a forward if needed.

He's shit in PL and has proven so. No better than what we've already got that could be improved

With or without Jack we are a solid team and give very little away. But without Jack IMO we lack the imagination and telegraph our intensions run cross, run cross, run cross.

Jack looks about first and does those diagonal passes to play people in to great positions. Surely we are good enough to beat these though with or without  

9 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

With or without Jack we are a solid team and give very little away. But without Jack IMO we lack the imagination and telegraph our intensions run cross, run cross, run cross.

Jack looks about first and does those diagonal passes to play people in to great positions. Surely we are good enough to beat these though with or without  

That's what I'm concerned about, we need a new creative player that as good as Grealish, where if one goes down at least we have one playing.

I fear Newcastle is going to be a draw if players don't knuckle down and grind some goals out. Bruce will be more than happy to have Newcastle sit back and draw to us and we know he's capable of turning very exciting games into the more bore fests of the season.

I am not looking forward to the game today for a good few reason,lookhow flat we fell to UTD. Our lads have to go out there and make a statement that the team is more than a Grealish one man team and they can get the job done against Teams we should not be falling to. They can do it but some defences will stop us because we're to slow at reacting in the final third, they make it look easy at times because our Wingers are slow at making the play at the time opposition has not repositioned.

Why can't our players go look at how lightning fast we were against Liverpool and other teams earlier this season?? You can see a difference from then to now and see how much we have slowed down the moving of the ball and holding the ball to much in the final third.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Emi

Doug

Mcginn     sanson

Agreed and agree with the team selection mate 👍.  If we’re on it tonight, I think we could win by 2 or 3 goals. 

Well, ever the optimist, I’m looking forward to tonight’s game. I think we’ll have enough to beat them, but we have to start taking our chances, of course. 

This will be the fifth game in a row without Grealish, and while it would have been disruptive initially, surely they’ve got to start working more effectively as a team soon? 

• Like 1

Failure to win tonight would be a massive disappointment given how poor Newcastle have looked even with a fit team. With no Saint Maximin (best winger), Wilson (best striker), Schar (best defender) and Almiron they are severely weakened and this is a good opportunity to get our season back on track, but as the Sheff U result shows we are capable of allowing out of form teams to scrape wins against us and we can't allow that to happen again.

With a rejuvenated Spurs up next after this game it's important we get three points tonight imo. We haven't won up at St James's Park for a while so it's about time that changed.

We have to take the game seriously and match them for effort, our lack of creativity without Grealish is a concern if they sit back (which they almost certainly will) so we have to press with intensity and try to score early, and have to start being more ruthless in front of goal and taking our chances which we don't seem to be doing currently.

Having Cash back is a major boost as Elmo really isn't up to this level, but it's going forward where we've been poor rather than at the back. How nice it would be to see us win 2 or 3-0 tonight, haven't seen us win like that since Christmas time.

Edited by VillaFaninLondon

17 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Emi

Doug

Mcginn     sanson

Can only see this team.

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

Well, ever the optimist, I’m looking forward to tonight’s game. I think we’ll have enough to beat them, but we have to start taking our chances, of course. 

This will be the fifth game in a row without Grealish, and while it would have been disruptive initially, surely they’ve got to start working more effectively as a team soon? 

It's not an exaggeration to say our games versus Bruce's Newcastle are the highlight of my season. He matches up so badly against Smith it's embarrassing. So I'm also really looking forward to tonight's game.  Before the Wolves game I would have been slightly nervous going into this one without Grealish, but the way we played against Wolves without him tells me we should be well able to pass this lot to oblivion. Really hope Ollie can get back to scoring ways. He really does play on the edge whether it be onside by a fanny hair or going for the woodwork. Just get back to the simple things Ollie. No better team to do it against too.

• Like 4

lot of people on here have Traore as a starter if fit.  personally I think apart from the odd flash in the wolves game he's been a liability the last 3 games.  I'd weirdly start trez and el ghazi if both fit.  And tbh I cant believe in saying that.