Pre match thread

mottaloo

4 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Knowing our luck this will be a masterclass in shithousing a win for Bruce.

Exactly this. This is how these types of managers survive when it seems impossible to do so. Just enough ugly wins to get by.

I have much the same feeling for tonight's game that I had before the game at Sheffield United. We should win it, saving that we should get a point, surely we can't lose it?...but of course, we did just that! Newcastle are now drinking in The Last Chance Saloon, having allowed the previously seemingly already relegated Fulham, to move within a point of them. They badly need to win this one and without Jack, we have to demonstrate that we have the ability and the desire to win it ourselves and by so doing, move above Liverpool with a game in hand. That would be nice wouldn't it?

We last won at St James' Park back in 2005, when our hosts had Dyer and Bowyer sent off and we won 3-0. Since then, we have drawn 5 and lost 7 up there. Overall, we have won 53 and have drawn 37, of the 159 league games that there have been between the two clubs. The goals have dried up for us lately, but the clean sheets happily do keep coming. Let's win this one and make it a little bit like this again: 

image.jpeg.dd77940bff16501df6708052e6ea5a1b.jpeg image.jpeg.05a314e4f243bb1e0f6f3ed47174ebfb.jpeg Aston Villa vs Newcastle: How a May afternoon in 2009 gave birth to one of  football's newest - and oddest - rivalries | The Independent | The  Independent

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Be great if we beat them and make it a double. At least we wont see grealish getting kicked around like bruce would probably inatruct them to.

Be hilarous if mcginn scored the winner the player he signed for us

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Be great if we beat them and make it a double. At least we wont see grealish getting kicked around like bruce would probably inatruct them to.

Be hilarous if mcginn scored the winner the player he signed for us

I loved how it was Elmo that scored last season 😂

23 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

With the team news we have, I'd expect 2 changes. Cash in for Elmo and el ghazi for trez. 

Keep the midfield 3 the same, it worked well, particularly first half against wolves. They will be ugly to play against so we need to earn the right to win. That midfield 3 gives us the balance of being able to earn the right to play and being able to play when we can.

We can get at these behind their full backs, I noticed west brom had a lot of joy in the channels. Perfect game for cash to come back and overlap traore and give targett a bit more freedom to get forward too, particularly with a hard working midfield 3.

we need a bit better than this from Luiz.

Quote:

Luiz shockingly gave the ball away 15 times against Wolves last Friday, with seven of those losses in his own half – his worst statistical showing of the 2020-21 campaign. (Wyscout)

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

I will miss this one. Not sure I’m too distraught. 

I have seen no evidence yet that the Newcastle players have realised the seriousness of their position so I expect a fairly routine win for us, about 3-0, to take us above Liverpool.

Do it for me boys.

2 hours ago, John said:

I have much the same feeling for tonight's game that I had before the game at Sheffield United. We should win it, saving that we should get a point, surely we can't lose it?...but of course, we did just that! Newcastle are now drinking in The Last Chance Saloon, having allowed the previously seemingly already relegated Fulham, to move within a point of them. They badly need to win this one and without Jack, we have to demonstrate that we have the ability and the desire to win it ourselves and by so doing, move above Liverpool with a game in hand. That would be nice wouldn't it?

We last won at St James' Park back in 2005, when our hosts had Dyer and Bowyer sent off and we won 3-0. Since then, we have drawn 5 and lost 7 up there. Overall, we have won 53 and have drawn 37, of the 159 league games that there have been between the two clubs. The goals have dried up for us lately, but the clean sheets happily do keep coming. Let's win this one and make it a little bit like this again: 

image.jpeg.dd77940bff16501df6708052e6ea5a1b.jpeg image.jpeg.05a314e4f243bb1e0f6f3ed47174ebfb.jpeg Aston Villa vs Newcastle: How a May afternoon in 2009 gave birth to one of  football's newest - and oddest - rivalries | The Independent | The  Independent

Sent off for fighting each other! Happy days. I had forgotten that Barry got so involved in trying to stop it. Hope he got a bollocking from the manager later. 😂

A25F5BB2-D2C1-444B-A69D-A654141F9CFA.jpeg

• Like 1

No excuses tonight. We have to win the team out there is worse than the Sheff Utd side that beat us. They have no ASM, Almiron or Wilson. It's a team of championship players. If we don't get anything it'll probably top last Wednesday as worst result of the season.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Ok so if Cash is back I am expecting more from Traore tonight. He needs to get more involved and put in a performance for the team. 

I think Traore really does feed off Cash. Having him as a foil or as an option tearing down the wing does seem to energise Bertie, so I'd expect we probably will see more from him tonight.

I put AEG in my fantasy team after Leeds, and he missed the next game through injury. 

I quickly transferred him back out so based on my fantasy team luck this season, I can confirm that not only will he start, but most probably get a hat trick. 

Edited by av1

22 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Emi

Cash        konsa       mings       targett

Doug

Mcginn     sanson

Traore              watkins              aeg

Surely we have enough with that team

I would say so but considering how free-scoring we were in the first half of the season without Jack we don't score many.

As I said earlier in the week, this has got Sheffield United (a) repeat written all over it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dave-R said:

That's what I'm concerned about, we need a new creative player that as good as Grealish, where if one goes down at least we have one playing.

Every team in the league need a player as good as Grealish but they don't come along every day !

• Like 1