Pre match thread

mottaloo

3 hours ago, Vancvillan said:

Don't have one. Pretty sure Bruce is playing nine at the back and one up front.

May even go for a flat back ten.

"Flat back ten" :crylaugh:  A lovely mental image.

5 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Who is Newcastle's left winger?

I think their wide players are normaly Saint Maximin and Almiron. Both out injured.

Looking at their line up last game they seemed to have played 4 central players. Not much pace in the team at all.  

The longer the game goes without us scoring it could get frustrating.

12 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'd sooner have Sanson and McGinn given licence to get forward with a holding player behind them - I think those two give us more creativity than Barkley does and having either Luiz or Nakamba gives us cover for the back four. I wouldn't break up the midfield three that looked so good in the first half against Wolves.

I get where you are coming from in that it is more natural for Nakamba or Luiz to cover the defence and both Sanson and McGinn are probably better going the other way - and I'm pretty convinced one of the two will be starting.

But I just feel we're going to have a lot of the ball and Nakamba isn't what we need (for this game) and although this will go against the grain (with many) I think Luiz is currently out of form. I thought along with Traore he was the poorest of our players against Wolves.

Now don't get me wrong Barkley is obviously out of form too but a firing Ross offers more than most, let's hope he can get to something like he was when he first arrived. 

5 hours ago, chappy said:

No Jack in the training photos they posted on the website yesterday. 

Or the 2 minute 30 second video they just sent out from the app as a push notification. Either he won’t be available... or they want people to think he won’t be

With our injuries and considering our record against the division's 'weake'r teams, wouldn't be surprised to see Newcastle beat us, even though it's a game we should be winning, but again have been there before.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, chappy said:

Or the 2 minute 30 second video they just sent out from the app as a push notification. Either he won’t be available... or they want people to think he won’t be

Funnily enough it did cross my mind yesterday when that 'humourous' exchange between Smith and Grealish went viral that it could be a more elaborate attempt from Villa to try and convince their opponents to set up for his inclusion.

4 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

However of any game you might expect us to win it would be this one given their injuries/general lack of quality.

You see.

Without Jack i don't think there is much between the teams in terms of quality.

I’m confident we’ll beat these, even without Grealish. Bruce never beats Smith, he hasn’t got the brains to work out how. I know that we could lose, it happens, but I don’t think we will this weekend. 

Of course if Jack is back, then I’m hoping he’s raring to make up for lost time. Something akin to his return against Derby in the Championship would be nice. Especially it’s followed up with another long winning run.

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

You see.

Without Jack i don't think there is much between the teams in terms of quality.

This was Newcastle’s team at West Brom. I personally wouldn’t swap any of them into our team. I might take Lascelles as a back up CB but that’s all. 

Everywhere else we are stronger. 

ADB2F542-83B0-47E8-B12B-F7A76E2DFCD5.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

Don't you? Well there's a shock!!

I think Grealish makes us a top half team. Bottom half team without him imo. And performances and results without him does support this claim. We've been showing relegation form in the games without him. 

Edited by villalad21

2 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

This was Newcastle’s team at West Brom. I personally wouldn’t swap any of them into our team. I might take Lascelles as a back up CB but that’s all. 

Their 3 best attacking players are missing to be fair. Which is why there can be no excuses not to win on Friday. 

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I think Grealish makes us a top half team. Bottom half team without him imo. And performances and results without him does support this claim. We've been showing relegation form in the games without him. 

Well actually we have picked up 4 points from 4 games without Jack and that is not relegation form!!

• Like 1

I personally believe that Dean Smith is a way better Coach/Manager than Steve Bruce and that reflects in the way the teams play. Jack Grealish is a one of a kind baller but without him Villa are still the better team.

6 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

From that squad above I would probably take Dubravka as our second choice goalkeeper as back up to Martinez.

Saint-Maxamin would be the only other player I would take from Newcastle otherwise.