Pre match thread

mottaloo

3 hours ago, wedge said:

I'm 99.9% convinced Jack won't be back for Friday.

Change my mind.

Deano: "I saw him before the game and he said to me if he gets on the grass he's playing (vs Newcastle). But I said to him, 'I've got to pick you first!' which he laughed at..." 

Dean Smith says that Jack Grealish is "doing better" and is pain-free but is "unlikely to play" against Wolves this weekend. Matty Cash is still recovering and is expected back in training soon.

3 hours ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

I wouldn't be getting your hopes up.

Do you know something?

2 hours ago, troon_villan said:

I don't think Grealish will be back personally.  That's based on absolutely nothing other than a gut feeling though and whether he is or isn't will clearly kept under wraps until Friday evening.

Sounds to me from quotes above that he's desperate to play and is pain free. Not sure what else there is to stop him playing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, darrenm said:

Deano: "I saw him before the game and he said to me if he gets on the grass he's playing (vs Newcastle). But I said to him, 'I've got to pick you first!' which he laughed at..." 

Dean Smith says that Jack Grealish is "doing better" and is pain-free but is "unlikely to play" against Wolves this weekend. Matty Cash is still recovering and is expected back in training soon.

Do you know something?

Sounds to me from quotes above that he's desperate to play and is pain free. Not sure what else there is to stop him playing.

Being still injured may stop him playing. 

IF our 🌟 is back (& presuming only Cash, Wesley & Hause out) then I'd go

Emi

Elmo    Konsa   Mings     Targett

Sanson  McGinn

Traore         Barkley         Grealish

Watkins 

I think we will dominate possession and we need our creative players playing in this one to unlock what I think will be a negative Bruce formation. 

I think Luiz's performances have dropped off recently so I would give Sanson another run out (albeit slightly deeper) and hopefully Traore can up his levels because he hasn't been at it last few games.      

If Jack doesn't make it - Stick AEG in.          

If the above team play and are at it then I think we will run out comfortable winners - but we can't take anything for granted (we should know this by now though :))

Surely the perfect tonic for our troubles is a team managed by Steve Bruce. When we were managed by Steve Bruce then playing a well coached team meant we were going to have about 20% possession and get schooled. 

Let's hope he hasn't lost the old magic.

12 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Surely the perfect tonic for our troubles is a team managed by Steve Bruce. When we were managed by Steve Bruce then playing a well coached team meant we were going to have about 20% possession and get schooled. 

Let's hope he hasn't lost the old magic.

Deano is unbeaten in his last 10 against Brucie (was going to say 9 but almost forgot that 3-1 win over Wednesday during the 10 match winning run), winning 6 and drawing 4. Seems to have the measure of him. It would be so typical for that to change on Friday.

Amazingly there were 4 different teams in those 10 games, but one team was constant: Aston Villa.

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

IF our 🌟 is back (& presuming only Cash, Wesley & Hause out) then I'd go

Emi

Elmo    Konsa   Mings     Targett

Sanson  McGinn

Traore         Barkley         Grealish

Watkins 

I think we will dominate possession and we need our creative players playing in this one to unlock what I think will be a negative Bruce formation. 

I think Luiz's performances have dropped off recently so I would give Sanson another run out (albeit slightly deeper) and hopefully Traore can up his levels because he hasn't been at it last few games.

I'd sooner have Sanson and McGinn given licence to get forward with a holding player behind them - I think those two give us more creativity than Barkley does and having either Luiz or Nakamba gives us cover for the back four. I wouldn't break up the midfield three that looked so good in the first half against Wolves.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

That doesn't necessarily follow. You can still be injured but out of pain. All depends on the type of injury. 

Right, but I believe his injury was mostly just pain in his shin. Heard Deano saying he'll be back on the grass as soon as he's completely pain free which he seems he is.

4 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Boots on ✅

Sleeves rolled up ✅

Give it a right good go ✅

A lot of them have never accepted me because I used to manage Sunderland ✅

I can see it being a war of attrition against them, with them having 11 men in their own half the entire time.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I can see it being a war of attrition against them, with them having 11 men in their own half the entire time.

Yep, at least the 8pm kick off allows time to get the senses dulled sufficiently 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 2

perfect opportunity to end the slump we've experienced as of late. if we get a really convincing win bagging a couple of goals I can see us returning to the form we had earlier in the season. we always tend to do really well against Newcastle with DS at the helm so I'm feeling pretty confident ahead of this one. Especially if Jack is back for it and considering the barrage of injuries Newcastle are suffering on their offensive side. They will surely set up to nullify our attacks and hope for something on the counter so it could be a really frustrating game. If we bag an early goal I can see us opening the floodgates and giving them a right hiding. If we don't I still think we could nick 1 goal and just hold them out for the rest of the game. I would really prefer the former as we have experienced trouble scoring freely as of lately which is a damn shame.

On 08/03/2021 at 11:44, villalad21 said:

If you can lose to Sheffield United you can lose to Newcastle.

Anyone can lose to anyone - these beat Everton for example. However of any game you might expect us to win it would be this one given their injuries/general lack of quality.