Pre match thread

mottaloo

5 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Narrowly lost to 3rd placed Leicester who were flying at the time. Started poorly but played well in the second half and almost nicked a point at the death.

Beat Leeds away with a solid performance, tactically outclassing your beloved Bielsa.

Hammered on the door for 60 minutes at Sheffield United who had 10 men behind the ball but just couldn't score. Not a great performance but deserved something from it and on another day, with a bit of luck we would have come away with a comfortable win.

Drew with Wolves after a first half that saw us hit the bar twice. Poor second half admittedly.

Hardly relegation form.

We are pretty close to the points per game average of last season in this recent run, with Jack out the team.

Difference this season is that we are better defensively, so will likely pick up points even when not scoring. It must be the best part of 5 hours we havent scored for now.

It is a concern that the starting eleven has changed personnel wise by about 60% from last season, and yet we still achieve similar number of goals and wins with Jack out the team.

8 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

From that squad above I would probably take Dubravka as our second choice goalkeeper as back up to Martinez.

Saint-Maxamin would be the only other player I would take from Newcastle otherwise.

Dubravka over Heaton? Don’t know much about him but Heaton has a proven track record in the Premier league, or do you see Heaton moving on for first team football elsewhere ?

8 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Saint-Maxamin would be the only other player I would take from Newcastle otherwise.

I'd have Almiron here. I got to watch him every week for a couple years in a proper attacking side before his move to Newcastle, think he'd be excellent in our team and really strengthen our squad as he can cover both wings, CAM and even play as a forward if needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Why do you think Watkins and Traore will be out?

Maybe to do with the rumours going around, Said players + Sanson and AEG apparently not trained this week. 

Possibly Cash + Grealish also might be missing. (Obviously nothing confirmed) 

2 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Maybe to do with the rumours going around, Said players + Sanson and AEG apparently not trained this week. 

Possibly Cash + Grealish also might be missing. (Obviously nothing confirmed) 

Bloody hell if all those are missing then it probably will be a draw. 2 depleted teams.

38 minutes ago, smg said:

Dubravka over Heaton? Don’t know much about him but Heaton has a proven track record in the Premier league, or do you see Heaton moving on for first team football elsewhere ?

It was more of a "If we didn't have Heaton" comment, Dubravka wouldn't be a bad replacement.

I read somewhere last year that Heaton was planning to go back to Burnley one day as a coach. I assume when his contract with us ends in 2023.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Why do you think Watkins and Traore will be out?

They didn't pop up in the 2 minute training video Villa posted the other day so folk are assuming the worst.

29 minutes ago, Indigo said:

They didn't pop up in the 2 minute training video Villa posted the other day so folk are assuming the worst.

Comical isnt it....players throughout the week will be in and out of sessions and after the huge focus on the Grealish news from the other week im sure the club aren't going to release info that easily through facebook videos

Newcastle have their whole front 3 out.... i would take that in exchange for Jack being out!

So Grealish is ruled out but Cash is available. So at this point the earliest he can come back is for Spurs on the 21st meaning he'll have been out for exactly the month that was rumoured initially.

10 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

Emi

Cash Konsa Mings Targett

Luiz

Sanson McGinn

Traore Watkins Ghazi

Yep I'd go with that. The big advantage with that midfield 3 is that they can all play in each position of that 3, or flip it and go 2-1 instead of 1-2 if needs be.

Looking forward to Sanson's second start now he's had a taste for it.

• Like 2