Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

4 minutes ago, KangarooVillan said:

I’m sorry, but if dwells on it too long doesn’t imply he gets dispossessed too often, I don’t know what does. So did your initial comment.

I’m all for differing opinion, what I’m less in to is people just making s*** up to criticise a Villa player.

I’ve explained my opinion, yours is different. You see a player I don’t. I have no reason to criticise the kid, I simply don’t think he is good enough to play as a DM.

Edited by WHY

30 minutes ago, garreth said:

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/337883/Show/Douglas-Luiz

the stats contradict what your saying his standing takles and his off ball positioning is great and he bocks some ammount of play.

Imo i would have him as a starter for sure..

Are his defensive stats great though? Bissouma, Fred, Ndidi, and Rice all have better stats than Douglas. I don’t think playing as a CDM makes use of his qualities 

6 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

There’s a risk with any player being brought in in transfer, but focussing on what if’s or maybes has nothing to do with the players ability. He’s played CL football he isn’t coming to be a 4th stringer.

I have no idea what a couple of midweek runouts against FC Benidorm is supposed to say about his ability.

11 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

There’s a risk with any player being brought in in transfer, but focussing on what if’s or maybes has nothing to do with the players ability. He’s played CL football he isn’t coming to be a 4th stringer.

Playing CL football is a terrible metric for the quality of a player. What matters is the context of how he ended up playing CL football. A first team player for Bayern Munich who played CL football isn't the same as a backup at Chelsea who got given a run out for a couple of minutes for example.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

21 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

At Man United, there is Varane, Maguire, Bailly, Jones and Lindelof in front of him. At Villa, if Konsa gets injured, he’s in the team, I’d take him here

Jones lol 

I'd take him but would he be happy sitting on the bench 

Edited by AVFCforever1991

1 minute ago, RicRic said:

We may be hearing Bernardo Silva announced in the same fashion as Danny Ings.. now would he play as AM replacing Barkley’s role ? As we already have Bailey at RW

No chance.  He wants to leave England.  

Everything points to a new DM coming in,  imo. 

Ings hasn’t joined to be a bench filler, neither has Bailey or Buendia. My guess is a fluid front 3 of Ollie, Ings and Bailey, with Buendia as an attacking 8. Sanson and SJM will fight it out for the other 8 position as the box to box player, and as it stands Luiz and Marv compete for the DM spot. 

Most fans agree we need to strengthen the midfield further which means replacing one of Luiz (contract ends 2023) or Marv (2024).  If Luiz isn’t offered a new contract before the end of this window then I think he’s the one heading for the exit - although both have been linked away. 

A new first choice 6 seems like the obvious big bit of business remaining, unless a good CB comes up that’s too good to turn down. 

Someone on the level of Phillips or Locatelli would be a dream. 

11 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Are his defensive stats great though? Bissouma, Fred, Ndidi, and Rice all have better stats than Douglas. I don’t think playing as a CDM makes use of his qualities 

I take what you say as valid..

I just dont think this is an area we need strenghtening espescially when i see luiz improving every year.

Imo he is a very important player for us and we have sanson to give him valid competition.

6 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Everything screams a top top Defensive midfielder should be on the way. But i think Smith prefers ball controllers rather than destroyers. 

Who do we have that controls the midfield through ball control against the top teams

• Like 1

Desperate for a DCM  still haven't improved on our very poor midfield of last year. 

Not sure why we seem to have this repeated discussion about Douglas Luiz and people actually believe he's good enough to be our CDM still.

Baffles the mind people think he's good enough and it isn't a clear spot to improve. 

Just now, Danishlad said:

Who do we have that controls the midfield through ball control against the top teams

No one . But he wants Ward Prowse and has bid for him . Whereas for most of us here we would be putting that 50 mill down on Bissouma . I don't know if he will change tack now and change priorities but this is probably the only opp for a while to go and get a really brilliant oven ready midfielder . Spend serious money to try and take control of that midfield

28 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Bissouma, Fred, Ndidi, and Rice all have better stats than Douglas

But you’ve picked four £50m+ (minimum) players there. One of them has already gone for that much and he’s also not seen as that great! Rice would probably cost more than Grealish and I see people here saying he’s no good.It’s a hard position to get any credit is the truth.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

No one . But he wants Ward Prowse and has bid for him . Whereas for most of us here we would be putting that 50 mill down on Bissouma . I don't know if he will change tack now and change priorities but this is probably the only opp for a while to go and get a really brilliant oven ready midfielder . Spend serious money to try and take control of that midfield

I think Bissouma can control the midfield and Ward Prowse tries too. 
I don’t have the stats on them.

maybe we could get both, who knows

1 minute ago, Danishlad said:

I think Bissouma can control the midfield and Ward Prowse tries too. 
I don’t have the stats on them.

maybe we could get both, who knows

I would take both in a heartbeat as i have written before. Would be a **** brilliant engine room 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Everything screams a top top Defensive midfielder should be on the way. But i think Smith prefers ball controllers rather than destroyers. 

I think someone like anguissa would be the best of both worlds, as he is effective as a traditional DM and can be pushed first forward into a CM position and perform well. He is a ball carrier that likes to dribble , is good in the air, can pick out a pass, makes lots of interceptions and is strong in the tackle. Proven PL performer for 25m. Sounds like a no brainer to me. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 3

I suppose what everyone want is either someone in the busquets mould or kante mould. Or in a perfect world both.

we have Marv who is in Kante mould and Luiz who is more like Carlos Sanchez. (IMO)

I’m not a scout but surely there are better young talented players out there than the ones we have , and now we can afford them. 
Unless we think one of our talented young lads can do it.

2 hours ago, Thug said:

But if we’re going down this route, why pay Man Utd a (sizeable) loan fee for 2 matches cover? 

Also why do people assume that the only people who have a say in all of this are the clubs?  The biggest single deciding factor in this is the player.

Why on earth would he come here to be fourth choice centre back? It would be better for him to play a season in the championship than 2 games for us. Or he might as well sit where he is, and train with his friends, and go home to his home than come to villa and be ‘fourth choice’ and commute 3 to 4 hours a day or stay in a hotel.

The ‘loan’ for Baston was a totally pointless shit thing that served no purpose.  Literally would have been better to play a youth player or no striker. Not a good example to quote.

Traffic must have gotten really bad since I lived in Manchester.