Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

46 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Depends on the role he was being asked to perform. You must also factor in Lille’s style of play - which wasn’t possession based and he was also playing with Bamba & Ikone… 

https://breakingthelines.com/player-stories/the-renaissance-of-renato-sanches-at-lille/

Wasn’t trying to crap on your suggestion mate, I don’t doubt he’s a good player. Just giving my POV, for what it’s worth. By no means am I an expert of any kind 🤣

But, again, I don’t believe Sanches or his type is needed, it’s not a priority position or profile of player that we require atm…

There is a limit to what we can spend and I can’t see any/many outgoings now other than Hourihane (who was replaced last season) and a few loans for our younger players. We have to give our players a chance to stake a claim (Sanson) and to improve on what was a strange and disruptive, previous, campaign…  expect more and better from McGinn and Luiz…

I wouldn’t be averse to selling Nakamba and maybe even El Ghazi if someone put in a crazy bid. Unlikely though, Marv will be needed unless we go and get that quality DM… Anwar is a useful member of the squad too… we need options…

I’d like to see Davis leave (loan or transfer) and replaced with someone more effective and probably more versatile… I doubt that will happen either. I think he’s well liked…

The squad does seem a bit light atm… who knows, I’m sure there are several deals being worked on…

Engels leaving has left a gaping hole…we need that back up or competing, right footed CB.

Other than that, strengthen and upgrade where we can, within our capabilities and budget…

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Going to the beach for the day. I’m not going to check VT until I get back. Hoping to see a new thread, with a new player, with at least 15 pages attributed to it! 

Don't come back until Mid-August mate, you'll have a cracking tan. 

And we might be linked to a new player by then. 

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I don’t know what I was thinking there, he’s a fantastic player 

I think you had been bitten too often before so you were, shall we say, cautious.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jas10 said:

This’ll be Axel back at RB and performing clumsily again… good old Brucey eh?

A loan has a lot of appeal, maybe we should make our move? He’ll at least get to play in his natural position…🤣

What’s that then, the bench?

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Sure, I take your point. But as I explained, do we need him? And I also stated that I am not saying he is not a good player.

I don’t completely rely on stats either but they are an aid, still 1 goal and 3 assists is underwhelming (and I’m not completely judging the player based on that), McGinn produced better numbers for us in a relatively poor season for him… expect him (and Sanson) to do much better this time around…

It’s clear that his passing and dribbling are his strengths… but I’m personally more interested in a midfielder that can help us out defensively…

Would Sanches be enough of an upgrade or offer something that different?

I’d rather we didn’t spend a chunk of our limited budget where it’s not really needed (usually my main concern), I’d just prefer to get a quality DM if we want to strengthen in midfield…

Can’t see us getting rid of McGinn (if we did, Sanches would be a good replacement) and Sanson who would both play a similar role and likely be more productive… no point signing another CM or box to box player unless they’re significantly better (and more productive) and if we’re selling someone and I can’t see why we would…

Can’t see us selling Luiz either but I don’t believe Sanches would be a good enough DM either…

Also, if he’s injury prone… that’s another negative factor… and reason not to sign him and spend so heavily…

I was solely responding to your point re: the stats tbh mate and what I think are the more detailed indicators to work off when it comes to creativity etc. As I said 1 goal and 3 assists may seem underwhelming on the surface but when you dig a little deeper you can see that regardless of those numbers he generally makes things happen when he's on the pitch.

For what it's worth as much as he'd be a great statement signing for us I don't think it's any way realistic through a combination of us not being quite there yet to pull it off and us appearing to be going with 4-2-3-1 next season which wouldn't suit him as more of an #8. I think even in the hypothetical world we could get him in it wouldn't really make a huge amount of sense given we are definitely in for an AM and apparently also a DM, neither of which he really is, and a player of his ilk would suggest some weird last minute change in recruitment strategy. Cracking player though.

4 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I was solely responding to your point re: the stats tbh mate and what I think are the more detailed indicators to work off when it comes to creativity etc. As I said 1 goal and 3 assists may seem underwhelming on the surface but when you dig a little deeper you can see that regardless of those numbers he generally makes things happen when he's on the pitch.

For what it's worth as much as he'd be a great statement signing for us I don't think it's any way realistic through a combination of us not being quite there yet to pull it off and us appearing to be going with 4-2-3-1 next season which wouldn't suit him as more of an #8. I think even in the hypothetical world we could get him in it wouldn't really make a huge amount of sense given we are definitely in for an AM and apparently also a DM, neither of which he really is, and a player of his ilk would suggest some weird last minute change in recruitment strategy. Cracking player though.

Fair enough mate 👍

A good player but not a priority for us right now, not really required, would be expensive and there would be competition. Largely agree with you.

I think McGinn & Sanson will do well this season…

I would be disappointed with Renato Sanches in all honesty. The whole resurrecting a career thing has backfired on us in the past; see Drinkwater and Barkley in the last two season.

I hope that we are looking at Lingard in the event that West Ham are unable to sign him; he's now proved last season that he is a good player and a player that would improve us.

I also still think we need a defensive midfielder, I've been beating the Bissouma drum for a while but I just can't see it happening now unfortunately. Looking at the stats from Anguissa he could be a very interesting player if we could get him in this window.

I still feel we need a real statement signing this window. We don't yet have the pulling power of Man City when they brought in Robinho but if we can try something similar it could be huge for us over the next few seasons. I really don't know who it could be though.

• Confused 3

7 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I would be disappointed with Renato Sanches in all honesty. The whole resurrecting a career thing has backfired on us in the past; see Drinkwater and Barkley in the last two season.

I hope that we are looking at Lingard in the event that West Ham are unable to sign him; he's now proved last season that he is a good player and a player that would improve us.

I also still think we need a defensive midfielder, I've been beating the Bissouma drum for a while but I just can't see it happening now unfortunately. Looking at the stats from Anguissa he could be a very interesting player if we could get him in this window.

I still feel we need a real statement signing this window. We don't yet have the pulling power of Man City when they brought in Robinho but if we can try something similar it could be huge for us over the next few seasons. I really don't know who it could be though.

No to Sanches because resurrecting his career but Yes to Lingard because resurrecting his career?  Don’t understand mate

edit: PG5 beat me to it

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There’s no comparison..

I would be appalled at Lingard, don’t want that idiot anywhere near us. One season wonder or whatever…he is the epitome of a Drinkwater type deal. And ultimately just a bellend.

Sanches is a good, highly rated, young player who has overcome his difficulties and managed to win the French League title with Lille… highly rated and sought after…

• Like 2

Honestly, I don’t get some of the suggestions from some of our fans.

In one area you have all the nostalgia junkies who want Benteke, Snodgrass, Albrighton etc. small time, backwards mentality that would get us nowhere expect closer to the relegation zone…

Then you have the ones that suggest we are some kind of care home or rehabilitation centre, overlooking our past difficulties and grievances with such players… it’s not up to us to take on overrated, overpaid players who have lost their mojo or simply shown they are crap.

If we really want to become a successful club, we should get away from that kind of thinking. We’ll go out, scout and find the best talent that best fit with the club (both in terms of ability and personality, also potential and value)…

And get away from the tired old names…there are so many excellent young players out there…

Why would anyone want any player that could become a burden to us? Haven’t we had enough of that shit?

Let’s broaden our horizons and thinking…

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Honestly, I don’t get some of the suggestions from some of our fans.

In one area you have all the nostalgia junkies who want Benteke, Snodgrass, Albrighton etc. small time, backwards mentality that would get us nowhere expect closer to the relegation zone…

Then you have the ones that suggest we are some kind of care home or rehabilitation centre, overlooking our past difficulties and grievances with such players… it’s not up to us to take on overrated, overpaid players who have lost their mojo or simply shown they are crap.

If we really want to become a successful club, we should get away from that kind of thinking. We’ll go out, scout and find the best talent that best fit with the club (both in terms of ability and personality, also potential and value)…

And get away from the tired old names…there are so many excellent young players out there…

Why would anyone want any player that could become a burden to us? Haven’t we had enough of that shit?

Let’s broaden our horizons and thinking…

i think ashley young an acception  from how he performed in italy

Some people are nervous about signing a foreign player but would welcome players aged 30+ on huge wages who wouldn’t offer much or become a disruptive influence…

Smacks of small club mentality…

We are not that…