Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

31 minutes ago, Xela said:

No worries. It doesn't mean anything but just thought it was worth mentioning.

To be honest, I just want the Grealish thing sorted one way or another now. I'm confident he's staying but I just want it sorted! 

tbh, it would be nice if he signed another contract, however, he has 4 years left on his current contract, so unless there is some whacky release clause (which i highly doubt), if we really want to keep him, he's ours until 2025 regardless.

As i say, a new contract would be great, but if he leaves, it will be because we have made the decision to let him go (which i doubt will happen).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

I came on to say I saw Aouar is being valued at £20m. Insane. Why has Arsenal not completed that yet?

Spurs supposedly involved now.

Feels like this has been on the cards for atleast 2 windows now and the price has come right down. If they can't get it done we should just spend the cash; we know we have it. Immediately jumps into our XI

Is Aouars contract running down or something? Im sure I remember him being valued about the same as Partey last season (45 million) and Arsenal went for Partey.

3 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

This has been on the cards for a long time. I'm sure we tried to get him last year too didn't we? 

I think we were definitely looking at him last year and maybe even took him on trial (could be wrong). He hadn’t played much at that point though but managed to get 22 games last season in league 1, but only scoring 1 goal. He is a couple of years older than Carney.

13 hours ago, Philosopher said:

I agree with everything you said. As I see it ESR would more likely be wanted in order to have a rotation option for Jack and Buendia as much as to play 10.  I know the common consensus is to play as the 10, but Jack seems to have an issue with his shins and given how much he gets kicked, I can see it being something he will have manage for at least another season given he simply hasn't had enough time to rest. Throw in that Buendia (while highly rated) has only just joined and we don't know how well he'll do for us getting another playmaker in is necessary if we really want to seriously make a play for European football.

The other option with ESR is to play him left and Jack centrally. This way you have wide players more focused on passing, through balls, and ball retention, Jack carrying the ball out and then playing one twos off them, as well and dictating the tempo. Fullbacks will provide the width and Ollie will work the channels mostly by himself. Then the wildcard McGinn breaking from his DM position and ghosting forward late.

Although we played most of last season with a 4-2-3-1, Smith favours a 4-3-3, so I think he will make the choice of which formation to play based on the opposition and their strengths and weaknesses. As we basically have a team built around Jack, if we lack an advanced playmaker on the pitch we look lost. So Bringing in both Buendia and hopefully ESR will mean we don't have to worry so much there. Also I think their thoughts are that most of our threat comes from the left and so does most of our forward play. So I presume the idea is also make the most of the right hand side. There is a a lot of space there to be exploited, so getting in a player like Buendia who will look to pass into the space, with Cash who will look to overlap, plus McGinn or Sanson on that side if centre mid means teams can't focus their defense on Jack on the left.

I too would love a shadow striker type for the 10 position. I don’t think McGinn has the predatory instincts to play that role. It requires very clever movement as well as quality finishing. McGinn basically plays playground style, chasing the ball. The SS need to make decoy runs, drag player out of positions, peel off their marker, and ghost into space in and around the box. They could do with pace as well.

This Alvarez kid looks more like a shadow striker or a false nine, certainly not an out and out striker. But he also has playmaker qualities with his eye for a pass and dribbling ability.

I actually think Traore would be a great shout for the shadow striker role too. Certainly better than McGinn.

In short getting in another playmaker, will unlock a multitude of formational and tactical possibilities, which will make us a terrifying attacking force, with depth in the case of injury, suspension, or exhaustion.

In short the goal is to create a world class attack to form a platform to get into and stay in Europe for the next 3 to 5 years.

The other challenge is last season we allegedly had the lowest miles covered by our players....so we need an injection of industry in to our game.

I think Leeds were up there with the best.....now I am not expecting Miracles, but I hope we address this and Shaky & co, get a bit more out of them ,this season....I suspect we will.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xela said:

No worries. It doesn't mean anything but just thought it was worth mentioning.

To be honest, I just want the Grealish thing sorted one way or another now. I'm confident he's staying but I just want it sorted! 

Me too.

its got boring and we need to move on with things.

Jack is the new " Mr Aston Villa " the old crown Gabby was given by his team mates....Gabby, like him loathe him, would never have gone anywhere else, never....now I know, he never had Jacks Profile, which is edging towards Beckhams....but my point is Jack is " King Dick " at B6 and they ALL love him on the staff, he is captain, not likely at City.

With our owners, why would he go now,? when its all getting so interesting....They have De Bruyne, Sterling, Foden, Mahrez all posing as obstacles for Jack to move out of the way...and its not a foregone conclusion city will win the league, what about the Euro cup winners Chelsea, they may have something to say about that.

who is going to listen to Jack at Man City?......I would suspect at Villa, Jack's view is considered on many things.

Aston Villa are still in development,players are getting better, who is writing us off, to win a cup.....I think we are capable, with another season under our belt....and we have individual players whose stock has risen, through international development.

We are not signing ESR by the sound of things, Arsenal are digging in same at Southampton with JWP.....why do we feel so under pressure to sell a player, who only last year signed a 5 year contract, and is most unlikely to kick up a fuss, to leave.

We love him, he loves us......conclusion.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

The other challenge is last season we allegedly had the lowest miles covered by our players....so we need an injection of industry in to our game.

I think Leeds were up there with the best.....now I am not expecting Miracles, but I hope we address this and Shaky & co, get a bit more out of them ,this season....I suspect we will.

Well Leeds were off the charts , so I can't see us competing with that.

Our Fullbacks were used very conservatively (for the modern game), Jack wasn't really required to track back, Traore and El-Ghazi aren't exactly the hardest workers. 

I'd be interested in how Doug and MacG's stats look. I suspect they're lower also because they for the most part had to sit in front of the defense. The 4-2-3-1 particularly with how we used our fullbacks was always going to have less distance covered. The midfield in such a system don't need to cover so much ground as they have smaller zones. Targett lacks pace and Cash was a winger converted to wing back, whom we were converting to a fullback. So the conservative use of them was very much required.

This is why I'd like to see a 4-3-3 with Jack and Buendia wide, and a proper 6. Then everyone else bar the centre backs and goalie being runners, covering lots of ground, pressing high and supporting both defense and attack.

• Like 2

With Grealish and Buendia both being ball hogs (I see this as a positive) maybe we could benefit from adding a player who's best work is done without the ball with making runs and creating space and hassling opponents to help out Watkins. Depending on how we set up of course but if either Grealish or Buendia is played central we really could do with a bit of pace and directness.

There is only so much of the ball to go around and Grealish & Buendia is going to have most of it. Adding a third player who want's the ball at their feet all the time might end up causing some frustration. Might also work fantastic of course.

8 minutes ago, sne said:

With Grealish and Buendia both being ball hogs (I see this as a positive) maybe we could benefit from adding a player who's best work is done without the ball with making runs and creating space and hassling opponents to help out Watkins. Depending on how we set up of course but if either Grealish or Buendia is played central we really could do with a bit of pace and directness.

There is only so much of the ball to go around and Grealish & Buendia is going to have most of it. Adding a third player who want's the ball at their feet all the time might end up causing some frustration. Might also work fantastic of course.

I have the perfect guy for that and he hears you:

Champions League Chelsea GIF by BT Sport

• Like 1