Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

52 minutes ago, nick76 said:

You're assuming that Alvarez will settle quickly.  The chances are like many other young south americans he's going to take a season or so to settle.  I think he would be a medium to long term play for him, not next season impact.

I didn’t say he’s settle quickly and would only be needed early on if Ollie got injured. So it’s a calculated risk but the world isn’t perfect. He could hit the ground running or not at all. That’s the nature of transfers but it is what it is. I’m sure we’ll do plenty of due diligence. It could be someone else or no one. Who knows? 

57 minutes ago, nick76 said:

You're assuming that Alvarez will settle quickly.  The chances are like many other young south americans he's going to take a season or so to settle.  I think he would be a medium to long term play for him, not next season impact.

I think Alvarez is a confident kid, with plenty of high pressure experience, having played in the Copa Libertadores and being part of the national team squad at the Copa America. He would have 2 fellow Argentinians at the club to help him settle, and a style of play that would complement his style of play. 

So in terms of settling it should be pretty quick. How he adapts to the premier league is another question entirely. 

3 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I think Alvarez is a confident kid, with plenty of high pressure experience, having played in the Copa Libertadores and being part of the national team squad at the Copa America. He would have 2 fellow Argentinians at the club to help him settle, and a style of play that would complement his style of play. 

So in terms of settling it should be pretty quick. How he adapts to the premier league is another question entirely. 

I’m not convinced, we are a whole different culture and so many (even with fellow nationals) have struggled and it takes time.  There are the rare that settle in quickly but generally it takes time.  It’s nothing about the high pressure and big game experience but about the culture, being away from home so far away, young, the climate and the different style of football.

21 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

So who we going to pick for our next target? 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Aston_Villa_F.C._players

You may joke but I’m sure I saw a rumour about Gary Cahill coming back as a back up centre back with a coaching future.  It wasn’t a great link so never thought anymore about it.  Your head would explode if we signed Tammy and Cahill.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

You may joke but I’m sure I saw a rumour about Gary Cahill coming back as a back up centre back with a coaching future.  It wasn’t a great link so never thought anymore about it.  Your head would explode if we signed Tammy and Cahill.

I think I would implode. If we hadn't signed Young, I would just about get on board with Cahill. 

3 hours ago, Villaphil said:

Barely coherent ramblings…..

Thinking back to pre Grealish injury and what were my concerns then….

We were great on the counter attack, which is why we performed against the top teams, but against the weaker teams I never felt like we could stifle a game, once we were on top.  The Burnley game springs to mind.

So how do we go about improving there??

Maybe we need to upgrade on Luiz or McGinn to steal back possession better when we do lose it ?

Maybe our front 4 need to retain possession better - See Buendia and potentially ESR signings

Maybe an out and out DCM in those games would free up the rest of the midfield to concentrate on breaking down the opposition, whilst protecting against letting the opposition back in.

We need an upgrade on McGinn. He just isn't patient enough. We pass the ball 5 times to work an opening then McGinn either takes a shot from 40 yards or plays a 40 yard pass that half the time doesn't come off. Against teams on the low block you can't do that. You have to pass it around until someone makes a mistake and create a shot in the area. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’ve never understood this, do penalty goals not count? You still have to score them 

Penalties count but not when comparing players between clubs. Say el ghazi joined united even though they win more penalties he would never take them because Fernandes and Rashford bang them in. So he would really only have had 6 goals this season. And if Fernandes came to villa we would have fewer penalties so he would score fewer goals.

Penalties aren't transferred between clubs and are luck dependent. So you do Non-Penalty xG+A/90. To get a good indication of a players end product. 

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

Penalties count but not when comparing players between clubs. Say el ghazi joined united even though they win more penalties he would never take them because Fernandes and Rashford bang them in. So he would really only have had 6 goals this season. And if Fernandes came to villa we would have fewer penalties so he would score fewer goals.

Penalties aren't transferred between clubs and are luck dependent. So you do Non-Penalty xG+A/90. To get a good indication of a players end product. 

Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Needs & Priority for me:

1. CAM (ESR, please!)
  2. Right Back (If Guilbert is off)
  3. Right sided CB (to challenge Konsa and replace Engels)
  4. Striker (I don't have faith in Wesley)
  5. Backup Keeper (Steer isn't good enough at the Prem Level)

This puts the 25 man squad as (with Davis out on loan):

• GK:  Martinez, New, Steer
  • RB: Cash, New/Guilbert
  • RCB: Konsa, New
  • LCB: Mings, Hause
  • LB: Targett, Young
  • CMs: McGinn, Douglas Luiz, Sanson, Nakamba
  • RF: Buendia, Traore, Trezeguet
  • CAM: New, Ramsey
  • LF: Grealish, El Ghazi
  • ST:  Watkins, New, Wesley
  • Like 3