Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

9 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

What if it became £32m + add-ons?

honestly, it depends on if it really impacts who else we can buy... rather allocate it to a CDM or a Smith-Rowe/Álvarez type player to replace Barkley. Would love to see if a loan w/option is okay as well

Edited by Villaphan04
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

honestly, it depends on if it really impacts who else we can buy... rather allocate it to a CDM or a Smith-Rowe/Álvarez type player to replace Barkley. Would love to see if a loan w/option is okay as well

Buy them all.  ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Except no one has been interested in Tammy for that kind of money. The only link we have had is from the express and Star. What's next Grealish is off to City for a lollypop and loose change football insider reports.

He isn't going to be sold because Chelsea want too much for him. He is just not good enough. He is a fox in the box and world class at it. Except his finishing is really poor and outside of that he has no skills. 

Well we don’t know who is interested or not and at what price…. We will see whenever he leaves Chelsea.

37 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

It's more a comment that we need a bigger upgrade in the midfield than we do at striker. 

Luiz McGinn and potentially Sanson are fine plus there's Nakamba. They'll be much better with Buendia instead of lazy arse Barkley in front of them

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Luiz McGinn and potentially Sanson are fine plus there's Nakamba. They'll be much better with Buendia instead of lazy arse Barkley in front of them

They're fine, but that's no reason not to upgrade if we can find the right player at the right price. A bit of competition for spots doesn't hurt. 

20 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

They're fine, but that's no reason not to upgrade if we can find the right player at the right price. A bit of competition for spots doesn't hurt. 

Forgot to mention Carney and Ramsey. We need cover in every other position more than central mid. 

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Forgot to mention Carney and Ramsey. We need cover in every other position more than central mid. 

I wouldn't be signing cover, I'd be signing players to start. You're right that we have plenty of decent to good central mid players, but do we have central mid players who can hold down the midfield in a Champions League push this season?

12 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Literally can’t believe what I’m reading. Our midfield was our weakest area last season. Both Luiz and McGinn are inconsistent, nobody has a clue whether Sanson is going to be any good or not and Ramsey was nothing special. Would expect to see a bit more of Carney this season but still early for him. 

I agree they will have less to do with a couple of better players in front of them but for me it is still a priority area to upgrade. One consistently excellent midfielder would make the world of difference to this team. If Dougie were to play how he did post lockdown then fine, no problem but if he plays like he did for large parts of last season we can’t rely on him.

There's pretty much 8-9 positions more pressing requirements of cover than CM x2 

10 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Literally can’t believe what I’m reading. Our midfield was our weakest area last season. Both Luiz and McGinn are inconsistent, nobody has a clue whether Sanson is going to be any good or not and Ramsey was nothing special. Would expect to see a bit more of Carney this season but still early for him. 

I agree they will have less to do with a couple of better players in front of them but for me it is still a priority area to upgrade. One consistently excellent midfielder would make the world of difference to this team. If Dougie were to play how he did post lockdown then fine, no problem but if he plays like he did for large parts of last season we can’t rely on him.

Don't see us bringing in a central midfielder until we fully see how McGinn, Luiz and Sanson progress.  Feel Smith has a lot of confidence in them. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

There's pretty much 8-9 positions more pressing requirements of cover than CM x2 

I said one midfielder would make the world of difference, and I really hope we get one. 

Engels replacement - low cost

Heaton replacement - low cost

Barkley replacement - high cost

Full back cover? (not sure if this is Young or not) - low cost

Back up striker - med cost.

We’ve signed Buendia, if we keep Jack our only other big outlay would need to be the Barkley replacement. We should still pursue a midfielder. Obviously if we lose Jack then we’ll need to replace him but I’m working on the basis that he’s staying.

How are you getting 9 positions outside of midfield?

• Like 1

We’re clearly still after a left forward/CAM (based on ESR bids) and you would have to think a CB is on the cards. 

After that, who knows.

Some would prefer a second striker but Smith may be happy with Wesley.

Some would prefer another CM or DCM but no real concrete links.

30 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

How are you getting 9 positions outside of midfield?

2 CMs leaves 9 positions We have McGinn Luiz Nakamba Sanson Carney Ramsey to cover 2 positions. I think the coaching staff hold them in high regard

25 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Engels replacement - low cost

Heaton replacement - low cost

Barkley replacement - high cost

Full back cover? (not sure if this is Young or not) - low cost

Back up striker - med cost.

Last summer we only had 4 players transfer in and 1 more on loan. Think it will be similar this window. I only see three more coming in - AMF, DMF and CB. Wes, Kalinic and Guilbert as FW, GK, FB covers respectively until the next transfer windows.

24 minutes ago, macandally said:

You have no idea whether this is true or not

Reports from Southampton are that they've received no bids for JWP and journos have history of inventing transfer rumours. I know which side I believe