Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

29 minutes ago, thabucks said:

The (un)reliable Romano has tweeted that he will Sign a new contract when he returns for pre-season. Plus… He has only played a handful of games for his boyhood club. He is only 20, and is playing for a manager he probably idolised as a youngster… There’s a chance Jack could go so why rush from his POV… Arsenal won’t sell… we won’t pay the £££… So many reasons why he won’t join. I really do hope I’m wrong though! 

He's said that about 10 times and all the other arsenal journos have gone no agreement so far. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

He's said that about 10 times and all the other arsenal journos have gone no agreement so far. 

Who knows what will be answered in time … Just sharing one of several reasons why we probs won’t get ESR sadly… He is a key signing for me and the most crucial one we would have made under NSWE if it comes off. It could be our Robinho signing - the one when people really take notice… Signing possibly the best prospect from a sky6 team would be fantastic on so many levels. That is why it will so difficult and IMO unlikely just now. If Jack signs a new contract and the longer Smith-Rowe doesn’t though - who knows 

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

With Smith Rowe a certain No Go

That’s not right.  It’s unlikely he’ll leave but it’s nowhere near a certain No Go.  Given our people, who are likely more in the know than us, are pushing it I think there must be a small chance of it happening.  Until that’s over then you can’t assert that.

edit: just seen your response to MM

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I reckon the likes of Ward Prowse and ESR, will be/have been our A+ category targets ( Not likely, but we'll have a good go ).

The likes of De Arrascaeta, Alvarez, Starr etc, further down the pecking order and much more attainable.

Or it could all be bollox and we pull things from left field.

Isn’t Freddie Starr dead now?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I reckon the likes of Ward Prowse and ESR, will be/have been our A+ category targets ( Not likely, but we'll have a good go ).

The likes of De Arrascaeta, Alvarez, Starr etc, further down the pecking order and much more attainable.

Or it could all be bollox and we pull things from left field.

Didn’t Dean say he was looking for British based players in the main, so I’m not convinced of your second line.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfers-dean-smith-20718462

“In terms of our recruitment, we talk about the sweet spots that we’re looking for," Smith explained, "which is that the players have Premier League experience and are [ideally] British because there is no adaptation risk at all.”

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Didn’t Dean say he was looking for British based players in the main, so I’m not convinced of your second line.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfers-dean-smith-20718462

He goes on to say next breadth … 

"Then you’re looking at experience of the top-five leagues. That’s the kind of process we got through when we’re looking to recruit."

So yes, British based where possible,  but not exclusively. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

"Then you’re looking at experience of the top-five leagues. That’s the kind of process we got through when we’re looking to recruit."

Ahh didn’t see that because there’s a big bloody advert in between the part I commented on and then what you’ve just added in that article.

Seems though after ESR and co, the next step wouldn’t be straight to foreign but exhausting British based players with PL experience then look abroad.  So if not ESR who else is around before we look foreign.  Slim pickings…

2 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Also if we are working on deals from South America why alert the world. I wouldn’t read much into smiths words too much too often tbh. 

It’s the only real thing we have to discuss.  Speculation gets dismissed because of the credibility of sources based on whether your favour the transfer or not.  Priorities of position get debated because people have different views on what is  priority position with no idea what the clubs priority is so just goes round in circles.  So the only thing from the true source is Smiths words to discuss.  Other than that we have fish puns.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Interesting, hadn't seen that comment before. Interesting who the targets we've identified from Serie A, La Liga and Bundesliga are as signing a couple of good players from those leagues would improve our squad strength so much.

If Suso was still here top five leagues would probably mean Belgian, Poland, Turkey, France....and Wales (Borja Baston).

Edited by VillaChris

6 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

yeah i find it a little weird that he's the most confident 'transfer journo' on that and all of the 'itk' Arsenal ones say nothing is close 

Barcelona have released Matheus Fernandes after only signing him 18 months ago, unbelievable. 

He's not the finished article but would suit the type of DM we need, physical able to break play up and plays heads up football.

3 hours ago, QldVilla said:

Barcelona have released Matheus Fernandes after only signing him 18 months ago, unbelievable. 

He's not the finished article but would suit the type of DM we need, physical able to break play up and plays heads up football.

Looking at his career so far, he failed to settle in Spain to the point that no club would pay anything for him. This either means that he couldn't handle living outside of Brazil or he's just not any good. Some massive red flags there for me, Qld. 

Matheus Fernandes only played 17 minutes for Barca despite them giving him a 5 year €85k/w contract. He's also the first ever Barca signing to not get a presentation when he arrived.

Did not watch him for those 17 minutes and I've not seen him for Palmeiras or Botafogo either but looking at his FIFA ranking he has about the score you'd expect Djemba-Djemba or Yacouba Sylla to have.

22 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Like, a player who scores 10 open play goals and a player who scores 10 penalties, its obvious people will rate the first player higher.

This. Over the years there have even been a few goalkeepers who regularly took penalties, and were very good at it. Would that therefore make them top class strikers? Clearly not. 

11 hours ago, thabucks said:

We had our fingers burnt in our first year when we brought so many players from other leagues. I'm all for find the next mahrez or kante though, so we need to pick and choose from other leagues wisely to get the right balance of quality and value for money.