Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

53 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Those of you wanting Abraham (or Edouard):

Do you really think he's a step up on Watkins?  'cause the only reason he would come would be if he were displacing Ollie as striker.  He wants to be first choice or he wouldn't leave Chelsea.  Dean isn't going to change and play with 2 strikers just because he has a chance to sign Tammy.  I personally think Ollie is the perfect mix of pace, strength, positioning and workrate for how we play, and I'm not convinced Tammy's finishing is any better.  I'd stick with Ollie with Wesley as backup.  If we can get a great young up-and-comer at a great price who's willing to be backup while he develops, fine.   But save the serious money for other positions, like a skilled winger with pace and someone who can be what we thought Barkley was going to be after his first few games.

exactly my thoughts. 

53 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Those of you wanting Abraham (or Edouard):

Do you really think he's a step up on Watkins?  'cause the only reason he would come would be if he were displacing Ollie as striker.  He wants to be first choice or he wouldn't leave Chelsea.  Dean isn't going to change and play with 2 strikers just because he has a chance to sign Tammy.  I personally think Ollie is the perfect mix of pace, strength, positioning and workrate for how we play, and I'm not convinced Tammy's finishing is any better.  I'd stick with Ollie with Wesley as backup.  If we can get a great young up-and-comer at a great price who's willing to be backup while he develops, fine.   But save the serious money for other positions, like a skilled winger with pace and someone who can be what we thought Barkley was going to be after his first few games.

Your post only makes sense for Tammy, Edouard would definitely go to a club where he is there to seriously challenge for the starting spot

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Most of them are wide players though but I remember the hype about the last French wonderkid striker at Celtic Mousa Dembele. Not sure what he is up to now 

Sitting on the bench at Atletico Madrid having just recovered from Covid in February.

11 hours ago, paul514 said:

He has a year left on his deal, Celtic lost the title and need money for a rebuild under a new manager.

Then you'd imagine he would be available for a relatively low price compared to his ability, and if that 15 milion figure is any way accurate, then that would be a risk worth taking. I just don't see us going for any striker with 50 million already spent on strikers in the last two summers. We're not in the place just yet where we can write off a 20 odd million signing (Wesley) and say that it didn't work.

I liked Tammy, but I’d go Edouard for 15mil. We’re not as desperate as we were last year, as Watkins has imo been exactly what we needed up top. Means we can take a bit of a risk in that position. Tammy would want to start, which imo would be harsh on Watto given his current form. 

If we got Eddy (can’t be arsed to spell his name more than once😀), we can tell Watkins that he keeps the shirt if he performs, and tell Eddy that if it’s up for grabs if he performs. Proper competition, without changing the team dynamic. 

Plus if he’s not brilliant, then we’ve not broken the bank. Simples.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I liked Tammy, but I’d go Edouard for 15mil. We’re not as desperate as we were last year, as Watkins has imo been exactly what we needed up top. Means we can take a bit of a risk in that position. Tammy would want to start, which imo would be harsh on Watto given his current form. 

If we got Eddy (can’t be arsed to spell his name more than once😀), we can tell Watkins that he keeps the shirt if he performs, and tell Eddy that if it’s up for grabs if he performs. Proper competition, without changing the team dynamic. 

Plus if he’s not brilliant, then we’ve not broken the bank. Simples.

Lets re name all our Forwards, Watto ,Eddy , Kieni, Wesy, Louie , Bertie , Jacko

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All I know about this lad is everyone on VT rates him highly. So if we sign him he’a already a hero in these parts!

But seriously though if he’s that good and available for 15m. Do we really have a chance of signing him?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

14 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

I wouldn't rule it out.

I would. Clubs might be inclined to sell assets cheaper, but the problem with what's being said here is the demand. The second we offer £  15 million for Odsonne, there will be 15 other PL clubs willing to offer £ 18 mill. Then £ 20 million. And so on. Players might be sold, but it won't be stupid cheap for assets that will be in high demand.

20 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I would. Clubs might be inclined to sell assets cheaper, but the problem with what's being said here is the demand. The second we offer £  15 million for Odsonne, there will be 15 other PL clubs willing to offer £ 18 mill. Then £ 20 million. And so on. Players might be sold, but it won't be stupid cheap for assets that will be in high demand.

Maybe, maybe not.   Worth putting in our offer and see what happens.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think you're seriously overestimating the ability that some clubs have to spend. I'd say there is us, West Ham, Everton and Arsenal maybe who would be interested. Southampton too as Ings is meant to be off. The other clubs lower down the division, firstly, I don't think think he'd be interested and secondly, they won't be able to go much higher than that asking price unless he is their only signing. The clubs higher up the food chain usually buy from the Southamptons of the PL or the other European leagues, not from Scotland.

I just checked Dembele left Celtic that time for 20 odd million at a time where money was plentiful and I can see Edouard going for something similar, not much more considering the effect that covid has had. He's got one year left on his contract and Celtic haven't got much bargaining power.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BOF said:

I think they're opportunists. I think the Heaton situation shows you that the club won't hesitate to sign someone (Martinez) if they come up on the market, even if we ostensibly have a good but currently injured player waiting in the wings. They'll know to some degree how good Wesley is and they'll know whether he's good enough to get to where they want to go next season. I don't think having 3 strikers is necessarily a preposterous scenario for them but I think it's possibly Keinan Davis who might have difficulty sticking around. He's been fit and ready for the whole time and barely had a sniff until very recently.

Could see Davis being moved for sure and we seem to mostly replace headcounts so can see an the potential for an up and comer but the likes of Edouard or Tammy would have to be the right price or we give Wes till Xmas, can't see them even considering shipping him unless its a fitness issue. 

All that said though I think you're reading of the way the board operates is probably right and they would jump on opportunities where sound business makes sense and moves us forward.

This summer should really be the best we have had for years, with us being in a position to attract players we wouldn't  even be in with a hope in hell of getting before.

21 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

RB, LB, CM, RW, CF.

That's what I think we need - we have young players in Kesler and Barry who could help in a couple of those positions, particularly Kesler because I think at RB we're looking for a back up to cash and we also have Guilbert, so I'd be putting my money into the other positions.

I'd like to see us make a massive statement signing on the RW, someone that stops defences thinking about Jack and has them worried at what's coming from both sides.

Yep agree with that apart from CM.

We have as it stands McGinn, Luiz, Sanson, Ramsey and Nakamba done enough to earn himself another year here although perhaps we'll still cash in. Ahead we've still got Bert and Jack to play the position Barkley's been in for most of the season if/when we sign another wide player.

I'd be really surprised if we got in another CM in the summer unless we lose Doug. Of course there's the long held desire to get in a physically dominant midfielder (seemingly Philip Billing is only one of his type in world football who can do this according to half of VT!) but I'd be surprised. Something to probably wait until next January and then do Sanson type signing. Bigger priorities in first 11/squad to solve this summer before we get to CM.

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

I think you're seriously overestimating the ability that some clubs have to spend. I'd say there is us, West Ham, Everton and Arsenal maybe who would be interested. Southampton too as Ings is meant to be off. The other clubs lower down the division, firstly, I don't think think he'd be interested and secondly, they won't be able to go much higher than that asking price unless he is their only signing. The clubs higher up the food chain usually buy from the Southamptons of the PL or the other European leagues, not from Scotland.

I just checked Dembele left Celtic that time for 20 odd million at a time where money was plentiful and I can see Edouard going for something similar, not much more considering the effect that covid has had. He's got one year left on his contract and Celtic haven't got much bargaining power.

Who's in for Ings? Spurs?