Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's so difficult to tell - Celtic are the equivalent of Fulham playing in League 1 - In fairness to him, he's scored against the defences he's had in front of him, but I'd like to see him get a loan somewhere, even if it's the Championship, to prove himself before I'd want to spend money on him as someone capable of starting for us.

You're against signing him.

To say he needs a spell in the championship to prove himself is a bit if an insult to the player imo.

• Thanks 1

I'm not by any means saying he's shit (I've barely watched the guy play) and I agree Giroud is a fantastic striker. 

Just making the point the national team obviously know all about his goalscoring record as its great for club and with the u21s and I would have expected them to try him out here and there by now. 

Now I know there's often more to it than that and age of first cap means little out of context. As an Aston Villa fan I'd have to have an incredibly poor attention span to not have noticed that!

13 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Let's not forget a 35 year old Giroud is still a guaranteed pick for France. Despite the desperate need for succession planning they haven't even given the guy minutes in a friendly yet.

Let's not forget that senior international is about the here and now, not really building for future. It's about getting through tournaments. You lose two games in a row, you're gone. It's not like a club team where you have 36 other games to put it right. It's about being organised and disciplined and letting quality players produce a bit of magic at the other end. It's why finals of international tournament are rarely good.

France produce talented youngsters at the rate of no other country at the moment and have been doing so for the last 10 years with that Clairfontaine academy. It is ridiculous the amount of talent that they have at their disposal. Their succession plan is throw in one of the ridiculously talented strikers once Giroud can't do it anymore. If he's no good, throw in the next one until we find the one that works.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's so difficult to tell - Celtic are the equivalent of Fulham playing in League 1 - so particularly with goal scorers it's hard to get a handle on the quality of what you're watching.

His U21 stats too, whilst brilliant are padded out with penalties and by France having played some dreadful sides in his time with them.

In fairness to him, he's scored against the defences he's had in front of him, but I'd like to see him get a loan somewhere, even if it's the Championship, to prove himself before I'd want to spend money on him as someone capable of starting for us.

I'm not utterly opposed to sign him as a rotation option,  but for the fee they'd want it's too much risk. You could have Scott Hogan scoring double digits up there.

14 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'm not utterly opposed to sign him as a rotation option,  but for the fee they'd want it's too much risk. You could have Scott Hogan scoring double digits up there.

£15m+ (apparantly) too much of a risk? No chance.

I would pay Celtic £30m for him tomorrow and that's coming from someone who keeps an eye on Rangers.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sne said:

Patson Daka will have a release clause as he's playing for a Red Bull club. IF we are looking for a striker (who can also play wide) he'd be a great value for money. Not sure Leipzig have room or need for him so he might move outside the Red Bull organization. Guess there will be loads of clubs interested. 

But as others have said my main target would be a top quality RW rather than a striker (I'd like one of those too mind). Will be an interesting summer as a lot of European clubs will not afford to keep some of their better players and a few of the biggest clubs will not afford to keep some of their fringe players.

Sekou Koita has a very impressive scoring record for RB Salzburg as well this season 14 goals in 16 to Daka’s 18 in 16 ... Obligatory YouTube vid ... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sne said:

For all the deserved criticism that the Red Bull organisation get's they do have some stellar scouting and a keen eye for finding talented young players. That goes for both Salzburg and Leipzig.

Brilliant development setup where they can test them in a dominate league team and Europe before moving to the harder league. Makes me wonder why you don't see more owners buying 2nd clubs as there are normally rumours floating around. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, sne said:

For all the deserved criticism that the Red Bull organisation get's they do have some stellar scouting and a keen eye for finding talented young players. That goes for both Salzburg and Leipzig.

The owners of Lookman, who many on here are mentioning us to try and sign him this summer being one example.

They also tried to sign Rashica.

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I don't know OBE.

He is an established international and played football at the highest level (Champs Lge & Europa).

If we could get him for the rumoured cut price £15m then I think it would be fantastic business.

As you know my keen following of the SPL, (yes anyone can do it in Scotland), but he can also do it in the major European competitions and that's what counts most imo. 

I think he would step up to the Premier League no problem.

For £15m it's a no brainer for me.

£15m!? That’s unbelievable value. He’s an incredibly good player in my opinion. I’ve seen him play a few times and he reminds me of Tammy Abraham, but an even better finisher. 

• Thanks 1

Key positions for me

Is left back, right back, centre  back and striker 

I wouldnt be opposed to selling trez o and getting a winger in.

A repacement for barkley will also need to be considered.

Personally my no 1 target would be tammy if we could persuade him to come home

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

£15m+ (apparantly) too much of a risk? No chance.

I would pay Celtic £30m for him tomorrow and that's coming from someone who keeps an eye on Rangers.

No, but I think it's no chance he'll move for £ 15 milion. None. Zilch. Nada. Never ever happening. They could start an auction this summer and easily get twice that. Clubs get desperate.

3 hours ago, paul514 said:

20 million isn't a lot of money for a player anymore hence why loads of our signings cost that sort of money, Henry will cost more than 10 million and is less proven.
Axel is NOT injured as much as people say and they are not recurring injuries, I proved this on here in January when it was repeatedly brought up.
Koopmeiners is far superior to Sander Berge.
David brooks isn't a young player, isn't as good as people say and is made of glass.

Neither of our suggested strikers are likely, we won't spend the money for Tammy and he isn't coming here when his issue at Chelsea is not being first choice. Toney will cost similar money to Watkins, we won't spend that much on a striker this summer considering Wesley is back now.
On your general point of youth players, I'm simply never interested in youth players unless one of two things happens...
1. They are ridiculously talented so have to be played.

2. They have been loaned out to a decent league, Championship level at a minimum and done very well.

I agree that £20m isn't that much in modern football but I don't think we will spend that much on a left back because that would be a decent player and I don't see a player at that level coming in as cover for Targett.  Of course, if we did manage to get European football that might be a bit different with more potential for rotation.

I have a good mate who is a huge Utd fan who says that Axel is pretty much regularly injured.  I can't understand how you can say Brooks is made of glass and then ignore Axel's injury record.  If he's not always injured he can't be playing that well or else surely he'd be getting more game time in front of Lindelof who I don't rate.

As I said, I haven't seen much of Koopmeiners.

We will have to disagree on Brooks.  I thinks he's a really exciting young (I view 23 as pretty young) footballer.

I did say I would take Edouard for the mooted £15-20m all day long, but I also said our choice of a "9" will depend on how Wesley comes back and if he does come back this season.

6 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

No, but I think it's no chance he'll move for £ 15 milion. None. Zilch. Nada. Never ever happening. They could start an auction this summer and easily get twice that. Clubs get desperate.

I wouldn't rule it out. A lot of clubs are feeling the pinch. Celtic won't have CL football next season so that brings his price down as they would need a way of raising funds. There are a lack of clubs that can afford him due to the financial impact that the pandemic has had could and this could rule out a bidding war. I have no idea what his contract situation is like but I assume he has one year less than last summer. All this could mean he moves for a fairly reasonable price.

FWIW I don't think that we'll be after a striker this summer. We've spent 50 million in the last two summers on strikers and I see the money spend being focused in other areas unless they assess Wes and see that he is completely crocked after the injury and that there is no way back.

1 hour ago, barry'sboots said:

I agree that £20m isn't that much in modern football but I don't think we will spend that much on a left back because that would be a decent player and I don't see a player at that level coming in as cover for Targett.  Of course, if we did manage to get European football that might be a bit different with more potential for rotation.

I have a good mate who is a huge Utd fan who says that Axel is pretty much regularly injured.  I can't understand how you can say Brooks is made of glass and then ignore Axel's injury record.  If he's not always injured he can't be playing that well or else surely he'd be getting more game time in front of Lindelof who I don't rate.

As I said, I haven't seen much of Koopmeiners.

We will have to disagree on Brooks.  I thinks he's a really exciting young (I view 23 as pretty young) footballer.

I did say I would take Edouard for the mooted £15-20m all day long, but I also said our choice of a "9" will depend on how Wesley comes back and if he does come back this season.

There are various websites that list players injuries, what they were and how long players are out for.

His injuries aren’t reoccurring ones and apart from one injury all have been short, this isn’t a player who has a dodgy knee or repeatedly has hamstring problems.

On signing a left back, like you said it isn’t a large fee in modern football, any player coming in should either be coming in for the first team or very serious competition for the existing players.

We have to sign someone as we will only have one left back you may as well buy quality. 
I put out a list of 6 players for less than a hundred million, similar to what we spent this season and less than the one before. I didn’t skimp on anything we needed.

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

I wouldn't rule it out. A lot of clubs are feeling the pinch. Celtic won't have CL football next season so that brings his price down as they would need a way of raising funds. There are a lack of clubs that can afford him due to the financial impact that the pandemic has had could and this could rule out a bidding war. I have no idea what his contract situation is like but I assume he has one year less than last summer. All this could mean he moves for a fairly reasonable price.

FWIW I don't think that we'll be after a striker this summer. We've spent 50 million in the last two summers on strikers and I see the money spend being focused in other areas unless they assess Wes and see that he is completely crocked after the injury and that there is no way back.

He has a year left on his deal, Celtic lost the title and need money for a rebuild under a new manager.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Brilliant development setup where they can test them in a dominate league team and Europe before moving to the harder league. Makes me wonder why you don't see more owners buying 2nd clubs as there are normally rumours floating around. 

I think there might've been a brief topic on this, but with Brexit, a few more PL owners have done something like this. Rumors that NSWE were going to do something along those lines but nothing ever materialized iirc

Those of you wanting Abraham (or Edouard):

Do you really think he's a step up on Watkins?  'cause the only reason he would come would be if he were displacing Ollie as striker.  He wants to be first choice or he wouldn't leave Chelsea.  Dean isn't going to change and play with 2 strikers just because he has a chance to sign Tammy.  I personally think Ollie is the perfect mix of pace, strength, positioning and workrate for how we play, and I'm not convinced Tammy's finishing is any better.  I'd stick with Ollie with Wesley as backup.  If we can get a great young up-and-comer at a great price who's willing to be backup while he develops, fine.   But save the serious money for other positions, like a skilled winger with pace and someone who can be what we thought Barkley was going to be after his first few games.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, sne said:

And all they've won with that loser on the pitch is the WC :D 

Olivier Giroud        
    Antoine Griezmann        
    Kylian Mbappé        
    Kingsley Coman        
    Anthony Martial        
    Wissam Ben Yedder        
    Marcus Thuram

Solid competition there.

Most of them are wide players though but I remember the hype about the last French wonderkid striker at Celtic Mousa Dembele. Not sure what he is up to now 

6 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Not sure about that, Scott Hogan looked lost vs Gibraltar for Ireland 😜

• Haha 1