Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

5 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

Why would we spend 20m on a left back when Targett has been sensational this season - arguably our most consistent player.  I would have thought Henry for a mooted £10m or a young up and coming talent below this level would be more viable.

I loved Axel but he is largely injured at Man U.  If Engels goes, and I'm not sure he is a bad 4th choice, would Revan work as a fourth choice?  Mings and Konsa seem pretty robust and, assuming we do not get European football, I think we could make do with what we have and prioritise other areas?

I don't know Koopmeiners but I do like the links to Berge for a similar price.  We would have a nice blend then with 6 CM'ers to choose from - Luiz, Nakamba, Sanson, SJM, Ramsey and Berge.  Obviously, more suited to a 4-3-3 with two "8"s than a 4-2-3-1.  I also don't know how far away Chukwuemeka is - he looks a talent and if Bellingham is playing for Dortmund then, if he is as good as we are told, "Chuk" might be close to our first team squad?

Olise looks decent and could cover/understudy Jack and give us decent options from the bench as a LW or ACM if we wanted to change style, although I would still chase Rashica for this from what I have seen - at circa £15m he would also be decent value.  I would love to see David Brooks come in - it doesn't look as if Bournmouth are getting up unless they get in via the play offs - on the RW and compete with Traore although I guess he would be expensive.

I would love Edouard and at 15m that would be fantastic business.  Equally, if he goes elsewhere - I can imagine Leicester/Rogers with CL being a pull - then Tammy or Toney should be targets?

If we do what I am suggesting, I would add AEG - not consistent enough for me although talented and should have resale value - and Heaton - probably wants to be a no. 1 and Steer is decent enough back up and he has value.  Kalanic will probably make his loan permanent I would imagine.

20 million isn't a lot of money for a player anymore hence why loads of our signings cost that sort of money, Henry will cost more than 10 million and is less proven.
Axel is NOT injured as much as people say and they are not recurring injuries, I proved this on here in January when it was repeatedly brought up.
Koopmeiners is far superior to Sander Berge.
David brooks isn't a young player, isn't as good as people say and is made of glass.

Neither of our suggested strikers are likely, we won't spend the money for Tammy and he isn't coming here when his issue at Chelsea is not being first choice. Toney will cost similar money to Watkins, we won't spend that much on a striker this summer considering Wesley is back now.
On your general point of youth players, I'm simply never interested in youth players unless one of two things happens...
1. They are ridiculously talented so have to be played.

2. They have been loaned out to a decent league, Championship level at a minimum and done very well.

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm really not keen on Edouard. I think we'd be better off spending money elsewhere.

All transfers are risks and it doesn't get to be a better risk profile than Edouard for 15 million.

Just now, paul514 said:

All transfers are risks and it doesn't get to be a better risk profile than Edouard for 15 million.

I've seen nothing about him that suggests he's better than say Solanke and I think we could get the Solanke for the same price.

I just don't see what some seem to in him. I don't think he's a player who can lead a Premier league side.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Patson Daka will have a release clause as he's playing for a Red Bull club. IF we are looking for a striker (who can also play wide) he'd be a great value for money. Not sure Leipzig have room or need for him so he might move outside the Red Bull organization. Guess there will be loads of clubs interested. 

But as others have said my main target would be a top quality RW rather than a striker (I'd like one of those too mind). Will be an interesting summer as a lot of European clubs will not afford to keep some of their better players and a few of the biggest clubs will not afford to keep some of their fringe players.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, sne said:

Patson Daka will have a release clause as he's playing for a Red Bull club. IF we are looking for a striker (who can also play wide) he'd be a great value for money. Not sure Leipzig have room or need for him so he might move outside the Red Bull organization. Guess there will be loads of clubs interested. 

But as others have said my main target would be a top quality RW rather than a striker (I'd like one of those too mind). Will be an interesting summer as a lot of European clubs will not afford to keep some of their better players and a few of the biggest clubs will not afford to keep some of their fringe players.

I like Daka alot, but I reckon ' bigger ' clubs will be after him.

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I like Daka alot, but I reckon ' bigger ' clubs will be after him.

Me too, then again that will go for pretty much every player we will be interested in who can slot straight into our starting 11.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I've seen nothing about him that suggests he's better than say Solanke and I think we could get the Solanke for the same price.

I just don't see what some seem to in him. I don't think he's a player who can lead a Premier league side.

His record speaks for itself, he’s a superior player to solanke but we all have our own opinions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm really not keen on Edouard. I think we'd be better off spending money elsewhere.

I don't know OBE.

He is an established international and played football at the highest level (Champs Lge & Europa).

If we could get him for the rumoured cut price £15m then I think it would be fantastic business.

As you know my keen following of the SPL, (yes anyone can do it in Scotland), but he can also do it in the major European competitions and that's what counts most imo. 

I think he would step up to the Premier League no problem.

For £15m it's a no brainer for me.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

He's not played for France yet has he?

Sorry, misjudgement by me that he had. He hasn't got past U21 stage yet. My mistake.

But on saying that, his international U21 stats do make for impressive reading.

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

He's not played for France yet has he?

He's been prolific for their U-21 side but not played for the seniors yet, I think.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Sorry, misjudgement by me that he had. He hasn't got past U21 stage yet. My mistake.

But on saying that, his international U21 stats do make for impressive reading.

The players in front are world class too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, paul514 said:

The players in front are world class too.

This is it, it won't be easy breaking into that France squad.

Then again, a move to the PL and good performances might speed that process up a bit quicker. 

As I stated before, I think he will step up to PL level no problem and I really rate him. It would be a great signing.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Let's not forget a 35 year old Giroud is still a guaranteed pick for France. Despite the desperate need for succession planning they haven't even given the guy minutes in a friendly yet.

And all they've won with that loser on the pitch is the WC :D 

Olivier Giroud        
    Antoine Griezmann        
    Kylian Mbappé        
    Kingsley Coman        
    Anthony Martial        
    Wissam Ben Yedder        
    Marcus Thuram

Solid competition there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Let's not forget a 35 year old Giroud is still a guaranteed pick for France. Despite the desperate need for succession planning they haven't even given the guy minutes in a friendly yet.

Giroud, Martial, Dembele, Mbappe, Thuram, Griezmann..... and although he is never selected Benzema.

Giroud is their record goalscorer I think

It's so difficult to tell - Celtic are the equivalent of Fulham playing in League 1 - so particularly with goal scorers it's hard to get a handle on the quality of what you're watching.

His U21 stats too, whilst brilliant are padded out with penalties and by France having played some dreadful sides in his time with them.

In fairness to him, he's scored against the defences he's had in front of him, but I'd like to see him get a loan somewhere, even if it's the Championship, to prove himself before I'd want to spend money on him as someone capable of starting for us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, sne said:

And all they've won with that loser on the pitch is the WC :D 

Olivier Giroud        
    Antoine Griezmann        
    Kylian Mbappé        
    Kingsley Coman        
    Anthony Martial        
    Wissam Ben Yedder        
    Marcus Thuram

Solid competition there.

Forgot about Koman and Ben Yedder.... they have some squad currently

2 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Let's not forget a 35 year old Giroud is still a guaranteed pick for France.

And why not, he's a brilliant striker and a shame we couldn't lure him to Villa when we tried a couple of January's ago.

I would still have a 34 year old Giroud at Villa Park any day over someone like Wilson or Benteke. 

He's a fantastic striker that I have always rated since Arsenal.

Throw Aguero into that argument too, another Striker I would love Villa to sign tomorrow.

• Like 1