Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

15 minutes ago, nick76 said:

If we want to stay a mid table team this is a fine strategy but teams above us have more than one Ollie, have different styles of striker.

Plus is Ollie really going to work less, it’s not in his nature.  We do need to do better around him but he’s still going to work as hard as he is, it’s just his nature.

We aren’t going to challenge for top six if we don’t have a strong squad.  We don’t know how Wes is going to Rey turn but even if he does well, we still need another. Traore is ok as a desperate need in central but if we are serious I’m not sure it’s a strategy and Barry needs to brought in over time and next season will be too early for any serious time.

The thing is Nick, the teams above us have much better midfield players who can stop us getting anywhere near their penalty box. We can have as many strikers as we like but they will never be effective until we sort out the supply. Our midfielders are all too inconsistent. We need better.

• Like 1

We should be looking at another CB in this window as I can't see Engels staying. A young LB to challenge Targett is a necessity too.

After that we need more control in the midfield and more attacking / creative options. Huge summer coming up I feel as this should be the one where we really push on to sign players at that next level.

We should be looking at quality over quantity. 5 players maximum.

LB, CB, CM, LW, ST.

It would be great if we could spend £30m per player on improving the CB, CM and LW positions. Then anything else on the LB and ST options.

I know we've got a good CB pairing, but we need another quality player to come in and challenge Mings and Konsa for a starting spot.

We have a first team that can challenge the top 8 if everyone stays fit for the whole season. Sadly, that will never happen and it has quickly become clear how much work still needs to be done, and it's no surprise considering where we were 2 years ago.

We'll never advance into European football, or the CL with Wesley as our second striker. No chance methinks.

UEFA cup possible if Watkins can maintain form and stay injury free a full season. Which seems a big ask.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

To attract the quality needed in midfield and forward line it’s very important to hold onto Grealish. Sell him in the summer and that will have a big impact on attracting the right players.

Do you reckon we could get Lamptey from Brighton for our right wing?

He's exactly the kind of pacy, busy player we need and he'd be able to play anywhere on the right hand side, so he could be cover for Cash if Guilbert doesn't return.

I reckon we could get him for £35-40m.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

We'll never advance into European football, or the CL with Wesley as our second striker. No chance methinks.

UEFA cup possible if Watkins can maintain form and stay injury free a full season. Which seems a big ask.

In fairness I don't think a single person on here thinks that we couldn't do with a better option than Wes, really we are just arguing about the timing. Some like myself, feel we need to sort out creation first, some feel we need better options to finish chances. Hopefully we get it all!

17 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think people underestimate just how difficult it would have been playing up front for us last year. Wesley was living off scraps. Obviously that doesn’t mean he is going to come back and be good but it’s to o early to judge him just yet. There’s hope there.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, picicata said:

But all of Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs have a history of being in Europe and being able to give chances to multiple strikers. I realise it's a chicken/ egg thing but when we have more obvious gaps I think we'll be looking to fill those first.

Just thought if we do get out of this bad form and have a little run we could be in Europe next season and the three teams you mention won’t be.  It’s highly likely that at least a couple of those teams won’t be in Europe next season whatever happens.

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

He's exactly the kind of pacy, busy player we need and he'd be able to play anywhere on the right hand side, so he could be cover for Cash if Guilbert doesn't return.

Really liked what I've seen from him, he'd be a realistic option instead of Saka who is ungettable.

Been injured quite a lot with muscle and hamstring issues which could be a red flag for such an explosive player.

If Brighton are relegated I'd absolutely go for him along with Bissouma.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

The thing is Nick, the teams above us have much better midfield players who can stop us getting anywhere near their penalty box. We can have as many strikers as we like but they will never be effective until we sort out the supply. Our midfielders are all too inconsistent. We need better.

But we have beaten these teams this season, we are in and around them.  I agree they have better squads than them.  I think we have proved this season we can compete with most of these teams except Man City.

We need more from midfield I agree but I really believe another quality striker and another top notch creative player (RW probably) are priority.

Just now, nick76 said:

But we have beaten these teams this season, we are in and around them.  I agree they have better squads than them.  I think we have proved this season we can compete with most of these teams except Man City.

We need more from midfield I agree but I really believe another quality striker and another top notch creative player (RW probably) are priority.

A pacey right winger is a must. Would make a huge difference for sure.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, striker said:

To attract the quality needed in midfield and forward line it’s very important to hold onto Grealish. Sell him in the summer and that will have a big impact on attracting the right players.

No chance Grealish is going in the summer given everything.

Edited by nick76

33 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

We should be looking at another CB in this window as I can't see Engels staying. A young LB to challenge Targett is a necessity too.

After that we need more control in the midfield and more attacking / creative options. Huge summer coming up I feel as this should be the one where we really push on to sign players at that next level.

LB, CB, CM, LW, ST.

It would be great if we could spend £30m per player on improving the CB, CM and LW positions. Then anything else on the LB and ST options.

I know we've got a good CB pairing, but we need another quality player to come in and challenge Mings and Konsa for a starting spot.

We have a first team that can challenge the top 8 if everyone stays fit for the whole season. Sadly, that will never happen and it has quickly become clear how much work still needs to be done, and it's no surprise considering where we were 2 years ago.

Don’t you think RW is one of our weakest positions? I think that is more priority than some you mention.

8 minutes ago, sne said:

Really liked what I've seen from him, he'd be a realistic option instead of Saka who is ungettable.

Been injured quite a lot with muscle and hamstring issues which could be a red flag for such an explosive player.

If Brighton are relegated I'd absolutely go for him along with Bissouma.

I wish we could get Saka I love that kid 

^add Prince Andrew gif 

37 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

LB, CB, CM, LW, ST.

I don't think we need a LW, I'd keep El Ghazi as back up to Grealish.

I think our number one priority in terms of improving the eleven has to be RW - I'd keep one of Traore and Trez as back up, but I'd spend a lot of our summer money on a starter out right.

I agree with you on all of the other positions, but I think in each of them the player we'd be buying would be a back up option, maybe a young player with the talent to come through and put pressure on the players we have.

I'd buy a starting RW and then talented young players at LB, CB, ST and CM.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

I wish we could get Saka I love that kid 

^add Prince Andrew gif 

Yeah, apart from the obvious dream signings like Haaland, M'bappé, Upamecano and so on Saka would be right up there. If nothing else for his versatility. 

Kulusevski is another one for me (as a Swede) that will obviously never happen but who'd be a perfect fit.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

If they go down, yep. £35m might do it.

I think you're accurate in what they're likely to ask for as well. Very well run Brighton.

One thing to bear in mind is he's now gone from having a niggle to being out for the season. I'd be shaky about spending that money without being certain he's not going to have long-term issues.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I think people underestimate just how difficult it would have been playing up front for us last year. Wesley was living off scraps. Obviously that doesn’t mean he is going to come back and be good but it’s to o early to judge him just yet. There’s hope there.

Thing is, I don’t think it was Wesley's finishing that was the problem. It was probably one of his better abilities. It was his overall general play. His lack of urgency, heading, timing, jumping, runs, shots, positioning. Never being where he should be. Hands down the most frustrating striker I've seen for us.

He didn’t look remotely suited to be a striker in this league.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara