Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

Just now, zab6359 said:

Watkins not good enough as a winger?

No. He doesn't have the skill required. As much as I like him he has 2 moves either a straight line sprint or a cut back inside.

Certainly not good enough to justify taking him away from a position he is fantastic at. 

3 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Mings would be that person for me. I'd prefer it if we spent a chunk on a much better ball playing centre back to replace Engels than a back up left back. I'd like to see Mings moved back out to left back for a few games. Maybe Conor Coady or Ben White??

Ben White is interesting can't decide whether he will be a great player or PL journeyman like Tarkowski. Conor Coady is the wrong end of his 20's for us to sign now decent player though.

Still can't find anything to back up random twitter fake agent gobshite's rumour to do with Berardi in the Italian press/terrible transfer gossip sites.

So apart from being weird to be in for a right winger with Buendia on the way it doesn't look like it's even remotely true.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Hasn't it been quoted somewhere that we'd looking at players with English football experience?

Not saying that we wouldn't look at the continent (it would be daft to rule out players from abroad completely), but I don't think we'll be focusing resource there.

That has been said somewhere you're right (Birmingham Mail and/or The Athletic maybe).

My thinking is that that specific requirement is for those players who will be, more often than not, playing in the Starting 11, such as Buendia. It makes sense that if you're paying a lot of money for Starting 11 players, you would like to know they've performed at a good level in the Premier League before. 

However for backup players (of which any new full back would be considering Cash was only purchased last year and Targett is signing a new deal) it makes sense to also consider utilising the continental markets where time and time again we have seen that bargains can be had. Now if someone like van Aanholt comes to us and is quite happy to understand his place in the current pecking order (Targett is the starter, you're the backup pushing him for his place) then that's great. Although I think PvA, Bertrand etc. are also likely to get offered either more playing time or higher wages at other teams (particularly Bertrand because he helps with the Home Grown issue) compared to us.

It's about allocating the transfer kitty in the most efficient way possible. Also you've got to think with this being both Lange's and Mackenzie's first Summer window they've had adequate time to properly prepare for, I think it's more likely than not that we get someone from outside of the UK.

Just my own opinion on the situation though. I've got a lot of faith with the current setup and are both excited and interested to see how they approach adding to the team over the Summer. They're already off to a great start.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

No. He doesn't have the skill required. As much as I like him he has 2 moves either a straight line sprint or a cut back inside.

Certainly not good enough to justify taking him away from a position he is fantastic at. 

Fair enough think you are wrong about him not having the skills though the days of Tony Daly doing zippy runs down the wing are not needed, I think as a back up winger he is more than adequate provided we have a good alternative CF. 

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

Still can't find anything to back up random twitter fake agent gobshite's rumour to do with Berardi in the Italian press/terrible transfer gossip sites.

Had a look at the account. Almost as bad as R24AFC who insisted multiple times yesterday Arsenal are definitely in for Grealish for 70m based on his reliable sources

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Mings has said he can no longer play as a LB he can't get up and down the pitch that many times a game with his hamstrings anymore. 

Didn't realise he had issues with his hamstrings. There was a few times this season when we were chasing games and he got forward he looked really good getting crosses into the box. Was it the Fulham game when he made a mistake and started bombing forward to make amends? 

5 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Fair enough think you are wrong about him not having the skills though the days of Tony Daly doing zippy runs down the wing are not needed, I think as a back up winger he is more than adequate provided we have a good alternative CF. 

For me that is the main thing he needs to work on this summer his ball control and dribbling. His first touch let's him down and he doesn't have the finesse to consistently beat full backs. Against Cbs he is generally both faster and stronger so he can just blitz past them but against quick full backs he can't consistently get away. And if someone is standing him up he isn't going to consistently beat them. 

2 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Didn't realise he had issues with his hamstrings. There was a few times this season when we were chasing games and he got forward he looked really good getting crosses into the box. Was it the Fulham game when he made a mistake and started bombing forward to make amends? 

It might have been his knees. But it was a part of his leg. I can't quite remember. But he was asked about it and said he couldn't play there anymore. He can go forward with 1-2 marauding runs a game but he can't consistently support the attack if he is a LB which isn't smiths style. 

OK I said I wanted a LW or a CAM so I would like either Leon Bailey, Diaby or Marcus Thuram. B04 only finished in Europa League rather than in the full CL. This could lead to them needing to sell and Borussia Monchengladbach finished outside of Europe.

Personally I think a double swoop for Zakaria and Thuram would be a great bit of business and really put us on the map. 

Apparently thuram had a 32 mil buyout clause but that has just expired. 

Edited by MotoMkali

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

We were losing to Spurs as well 

Knew I forgot one when I posted that. With Spurs though we turned it around nicely in first half, I'm on about the games we're losing after an hour so really only West Brom and Fulham we got any points off in that situaiton.

Just had a look though in my lunch break and WestHam won about 15 points from losing positions and Leicester won about 20 so we need to get way better at it and better players on the bench would massively help.

1 hour ago, zab6359 said:

At 20 mil Eddie Nketiah would be worth a punt?

Apart from just poaching goals in six yard box I've always thought he's looked very limited in Arsenal games, dosen't hold the ball up well at all and struggles to make even basic runs behind a defence or press that well.

Bielsa had the same opinion a few seasons back.

If people are expecting a Watkins clone they'll be in for a shock so we can spend 20m on a potential back up much better.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

My united supporting mate said the deal had fallen through. 

Everything Manchester United fans tell you is a lie. Even when they’re telling the truth, it is a lie. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

I really like El Ghazi but if we were to offer Baggies £10-£15m + him for Pereria. It would be good business for both parties.

I'd feel bad letting AEG going to baggies though, don't feel like he deserves that. 

El Ghazi will be kept as squad player I reckon. Can cover several positions though that trade looks decent.

Brace against Baggies in Championship probably his best game in a Villa shirt

Edited by Kiwivillan

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Hasn't it been quoted somewhere that we'd looking at players with English football experience?

Not saying that we wouldn't look at the continent (it would be daft to rule out players from abroad completely), but I don't think we'll be focusing resource there.

There's a decent right back that was on loan in France this season.  Plays for a PL team. Can also play left back. Got a decent whoscored rating while on loan too... wouldn't cost much, forget his name. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1