Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

9 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Just had a look at the Google search and 3 different articles had him on £75k €144k £190k so can't take any seriously

Cheers. Maybe we shouldn’t dismiss him so easily as a potential target, then. 

10 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Just saw a hilarious tweet from Football Insider claiming we are going to be bidding £30-£40m for Chris Wood from Burnley. Can we blacklist this source?

Rough with the smooth, whoscored is a Villa fan and could be accused of adding a little bit on to villa players when declaring them the best in europe 

Football Insider definitely is not a Villa fan! He's edging towards sounding like a bitter nose at times 

19 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I really struggle to see that mate.  What you are saying in theory is ok but reality I wouldnt think that's what they are trying to do.  I'm not sure Steer would want to be a yoyo and the club loaning him being at that risk themselves.  You go on loan with the intention of not being called back during that loan period.  In the scenario you are suggesting there is a huge risk for loaning club.  The only people that benefit are Villa, the player and the loaning club I'm not convinced it's a great deal.  Obviously goalkeepers dont get injured often but if Emi starts the first few games and then gets injured after the transfer window is closed and Steer is called back then the loaning club is screwed until next window.

Pretty sure you can only be recalled during a transfer window anyway, I'm guessing to prevent teams being totally screwed over 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Just saw a hilarious tweet from Football Insider claiming we are going to be bidding £30-£40m for Chris Wood from Burnley. Can we blacklist this source?

I was thinking of him the other day as actually a brilliant impact sub for us. I think the issue is Burnley would point to his goalscoring record as a reason he’s worth £30-40m to them (they get relegated without him) and we won’t be paying even half that for a 29-year-old intended as a sub. But actually he’d be a great squad option.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Jack's shin problems I can see being a long term problem with lots of nursing needed. Possibly even for the rest of his career

Agreed but I think that nursing could be as simple as subbing him off after 70 mins when we have a game tied up and leaving him out of the cups. I really rate Smith but my one gripe is he overused Jack from Aug-Feb... but I do think that can be addressed while still having him start 90% of PL games.

23 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Agreed but I think that nursing could be as simple as subbing him off after 70 mins when we have a game tied up and leaving him out of the cups. I really rate Smith but my one gripe is he overused Jack from Aug-Feb... but I do think that can be addressed while still having him start 90% of PL games.

No I'm sure even that pressure would be a problem because it's consistent pressure.  When I had shin splints I needed complete rest, it wasnt play a bit each week, it was either play or rest.

As for overused Jack, I think that is hard to push at Smith.  You have a world class talent who previous season played most games (it was only seasons before that Jack was only playing 60% of games which you could put down to growing at that age), we also didnt play in Europe, we dont play long enough in cup competitions that it's hard to argue Jack is overused.  His teammates in England probably play double the games he does a season with all their European, Cup and International games.

I think his injury record with similar injuries will be the reason he stays at Villa for the rest of his career because while he's a world class talent it's hard to fork out over 100m+ with a player that current looks like he'll only be available for 60% of games in a light season.  On a heavy fixture season like Man City have that could be worse depending when the injury happens.  Risk profile from clubs on many factors may exclude Jack from being considered to be brought.  For a club like Villa who arent in Europe and generally arent great in cups, a 45 games season isnt a chance to over use a player in my opinion.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

You may laugh someone on here was singing his praises saying how good he was after his hat trick against Wolves. Dog shit player!

2 hours ago, allani said:

Time to put in a cheeky bid for Allan, Doucoure and Godfrey????!!!! (Ancelotti has left Everton this morning - just to provide a bit of context to my otherwise random comment.)

Doucoure would suit us best out of that lot. Doesn’t fit the model though

39 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Look at grealishs reaction to getting subbed last season, looked like he might cry

Its both of them, Smith having confidence enough to sub him and Jack understanding his body enough to know that he's not 90 mins x 38 games 

15 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

You may laugh someone on here was singing his praises saying how good he was after his hat trick against Wolves. Dog shit player!

He is obviously not dog shit, he has over 10 goals a season for the last 4 seasons in a team that doesnt score much

You do know that if somebody rates a player and another person doesn't then that doesnt automatically mean they are dog shit 🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

You do know that if somebody rates a player and another person doesn't then that doesnt automatically mean they are dog shit 🙄

But how do you get noticed otherwise?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Look at grealishs reaction to getting subbed last season, looked like he might cry

Its both of them, Smith having confidence enough to sub him and Jack understanding his body enough to know that he's not 90 mins x 38 games 

Agreed and I think it’s also Smith growing into his role as a PL manager who can tell even the iconic club captain that he needs to rest. It’s an evolution and I think it’s happening. Actually I think the fact Smith can now point to this long-term injury will help him convince Jack it’s in his best interests.

• Like 3

I'm not convinced we'll sign a central midfielder this summer. With the talk coming from the club, the progress of Chuck, recent signing of Sanson I highly doubt it. Unless one of them is sold. Not saying that's the right choice but I can see that thinking.

We will definitely sign two attacking players. One of them, at least, someone who can play one of the wide positions and in the AM role (Buendia? or that Uruguayan chap). Depending on how much confidence Dean and the coaching staff have in the ability of Wesley and Davis we might sign a back up striker.

Then we need a back up left back, someone young and upcoming. We also need a a fourth centre back. Sounds like Engels is finished here, Hause has done very well when called up on so we really need a right footed centre back and I think that will also be someone younger.

Possibly a back up keeper if Steer is not deemed good enough but I don't see any acute need for one.

So all in all I think we'll at least see 3-4 players coming in, absolute max six.

• Like 3

Just now, bose said:

I'm not convinced we'll sign a central midfielder this summer. With the talk coming from the club, the progress of Chuck, recent signing of Sanson I highly doubt it. Unless one of them is sold. Not saying that's the right choice but I can see that thinking.

I agree.

• Like 3

If all were going for in what the media is throwing about then I will be massively dissapointed to be fair.

Were trying to reach a new level and in doing so I don't think any of these media signings will take us to that level.

We want to reach new heights then with what Purslow said in his interview and that two or three signings will be coming in. If the Owners make available 150 mill up then I'd expect some level signings if what the so called big six are pulling in to put next to Grealish. If I were Grealish this season is be expecting proper real quality signing. Fans are back then we need some quality coming in that can make the crowd Gush in what has been a rough year or so, I think the Owners will want to treat us with some wow get of your ass factor players.

Maybe it's just me but I don't think any of these media news signings are going to be joining us and if that's the case thank god, because my mind is set in much much better coming into the club.

I can only hope.

38 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He is obviously not dog shit, he has over 10 goals a season for the last 4 seasons in a team that doesnt score much

Would you be happy to see him in a Villa shirt?

51 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Not just Jack...McGinn has never been subbed in any prem game he's started other than the Southampton injury one.

Surprises me as I remember SJM having two match ban in championship and we actually left him on the bench for the away game with SHA so seems odd DS feels he can never be taken off in any prem game regardless of score.

I expect that to change next season even if we don't sign another central midfielder.