Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

2 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Bit harsh surely? He's there to play football - it's not his fault he can't give Klopp-esque interviews filled with charisma to millions of viewers straight after losing the European Cup final. He doesn't want to be there he has to fulfil some sort of contractual obligation by doing it. In light of the Osaka story at Roland Garros you do wonder what the point in interviewing guys like that is? Who gets anything out of it?

Agreed. The interviews are so pointless. Have them if players and managers want to talk.

Osaka was effectively forced off the tournament and people saying “it’s part of the job”, well it shouldn’t be. Only the manager should have to talk to the press if reasonable. 

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, El-Reacho said:

Bit harsh surely? He's there to play football - it's not his fault he can't give Klopp-esque interviews filled with charisma to millions of viewers straight after losing the European Cup final. He doesn't want to be there he has to fulfil some sort of contractual obligation by doing it. In light of the Osaka story at Roland Garros you do wonder what the point in interviewing guys like that is? Who gets anything out of it?

From what I can see Nissan, lays, Gazprom, playstation... 

• Like 1

Etienne Green born in England, but plays for France U21s and named after Saint-Étienne who's nickname is the Les Verts. He also saved a penalty on his club debut, I think England are trying to get him to convert. We already have Sinisalo and Marschall as highly rated young keepers.

Steers been alright for us, bloody silly to lose Heaton if we don't like Steer, we've gone from a wealth of Keepers to suddenly needing one 😅

Similar to letting Guilbert go and needing to rely on Elmo again (ok he did well) or having only Wes, only Samatta and only Ollie for 6 months each as recognised striking options (maybe harsh on Davis and less so on Borja Baston). I love Dean/Purslow but sometimes there's an odd red flag in management of the squad. We shouldn't need to buy a keeper this year.

I appreciate I'm saying this at a time when the squad is managed better than it has been for nearly all of my adult life. But still frustrates me a bit.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Steers been alright for us, bloody silly to lose Heaton if we don't like Steer, we've gone from a wealth of Keepers to suddenly needing one 😅

Similar to letting Guilbert go and needing to rely on Elmo again (ok he did well) or having only Wes, only Samatta and only Ollie for 6 months each as recognised striking options (maybe harsh on Davis and less so on Borja Baston). I love Dean/Purslow but sometimes there's an odd red flag in management of the squad. We shouldn't need to buy a keeper this year.

I appreciate I'm saying this at a time when the squad is managed better than it has been for nearly all of my adult life. But still frustrates me a bit.

Heatons contract ran out, he’s joining Utd, where he started his career, I doubt he would’ve stayed. Steer isnt good enough, so we are probably bringing in an experienced head to cover Martinez and help the youth players.

• Like 1

Would be happy with Steer as 2nd choice, just so long as he can/has overcome his injuries.

The article may be BS (likely as the source is the Sun!) but if we are letting him leave on loan maybe it’s because he himself wants to stake a claim as a first choice GK at a lower level rather than continue as a reserve player.

We needn’t spend much on a backup, Gazzaniga could be picked up on a free (any good?), experienced in the league and a fellow Argentine for the 2 (😉) Emis to strike up a friendship with.

Can’t think of many other options off the top of my head but we don’t have to spend too much imo… there should be some capable keepers around who are out of contract or available for a modest fee. 

I’m starting to think that we may be spending big on 2-3 players for the first 11 but then also save some funds for some backup/squad options in certain positions such as LB & a forward at least, seeing as our budget may be a little more limited than some of us have been thinking, I still think we will splash out on at least 2 positions though…

• Like 3

If Rashica is available for less than 15m, then I think that’s a great option to have in the squad… he can cover more than one attacking position and, if he can rediscover his best form, could well be competing for a starting role in the side. We would have both a back up striker and WF in one player for a modest fee.

Or, a similar kind of player (pacy finisher) that can cover more than one forward position that can be had for a more modest fee, not necessarily an automatic first choice.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Heatons contract ran out, he’s joining Utd, where he started his career, I doubt he would’ve stayed. Steer isnt good enough, so we are probably bringing in an experienced head to cover Martinez and help the youth players.

Heatons contract ran out because we gave him a 2 year contract. 

Maybe justified considering his injury but we were all touting him as Englands number 1 before his injury.

I'm not going mad about it, like I said, squad managed better than I can remember, but it's silly that we're going to wind up paying for another keeper if true.

(FWIW I think Steer is good enough)

Edited by HalfTimePost

28 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Heatons contract ran out because we gave him a 2 year contract. 

Maybe justified considering his injury but we were all touting him as Englands number 1 before his injury.

I'm not going mad about it, like I said, squad managed better than I can remember, but it's silly that we're going to wind up paying for another keeper if true.

Weirdly he has a better shot of breaking into the first team at United than here. Even if he had another year he would have been looking for a move with Martinez firmly established.

Does seem silly to buy someone unless they are a young challenger though - surely some veteran we can pick up who’s happy to sit on the bench? Keep seeing people say Gazzanigga but I don’t think I’ve ever seen him play. Has Reina retired...?

Edit: I also agree with you, I’d be fine with Steer as our sub keeper.

Edited by Adam2003

20 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

I'm not against it but also don't think Nakamba gets enough credit as often is the case with that position

He is a fine DCM not great but alright, his issue is he is very susceptible to the press.

On 31/05/2021 at 20:44, GingerCollins29 said:

Did you just call posters on VT who engage in discussion about the potential signing of Rashica rocket polishers?

Indeed I did.

• Shocked 1

On 31/05/2021 at 21:29, Vive_La_Villa said:

It only happened one summer! 🤣 

Untill he's signed watch it will be every damn season, it's in advance.

Edited by Dave-R