Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

5 minutes ago, Awol said:

Okay. It’s a wonder players are ever sold from clubs like Real to say, Everton, who clearly have a lower wage structure. 

Everton don't. Where did you get that from?

Edit: I thought you meant Everton wages compared to ours but you probably mean compared to Real but Everton pay silly wages for some average players

https://footballleaguefc.com/everton-2020-21-player-wages/

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

I wonder if we will try and sign Thierry Small, he's only sixteen so one for the future, but he's apparently stalling on signing a deal with Everton, watching him for them in the Youth Cup against Albion he looked their best attacking player despite being a left-back. Main reason for wondering if we might be interested is that he came through the West Brom academy, so our staff will know him already.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, messi11 said:

We should be looking at any of these or similar if we want to challenge for europe:

Taribo West (LB)- Free Transfer
Anthony Vanden Borre (Centre back)
Julius Aghahowa- Winger
Mark Kerr (Defensive midfield)
Cherno Samba (Striker)
Tonton Zola Moukoko (Left midfield)

Are you just here to troll. Cherno Samba retired in 2015. I assume the rest are all joke references too

Edited by Kiwivillan

11 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Edit: I thought you meant Everton wages compared to ours but you probably mean compared to Real but Everton pay silly wages for some average players

Dominic C-L must be feeling pretty mugged off looking at that list - assuming it’s accurate. 

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

The idea that Jed Steer isn’t good enough to act as a sub keeper for us...is that based on anything tangible? Is there a top flight match where he was an embarrassment and/or out of his depth that I’m forgetting? Or it just a hunch?

If the club feel that he’s not up to it, then I’m not going to argue. But it feels like ever since we achieved promotion - which was done with more than just a helping hand from Jed - the very notion of him just being on the subs bench for us seems to unduly worry people.

Yeah he's fine for number 2. Odd aswell considering that Wolves game he did his ACL he started and Nyland was on the bench so was number 2 going into our first prem season and now not considered good enough for that role if these reports are true. Unless he's asked to leave which could well be possible.

I'd be fine with him in the early rounds of the cups which is all he'll be playing up to January as long as Martinez stays fit and perhaps then get another keeper in that window. From what I saw of Gazziniga playing for Spurs and some of his loan spells he's not better than Steer.

Romero would be better pick up but would be expensive number two.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

He's on £190k a week so it's not going to happen

Season long loan if they sign a few more attackers? Odegaard must be on similar amount and was playing for Real Madrid start of last season but was still loaned out mid season to Arsenal.

Same could happen next season although he'll probably get a chance under Ancelotti.

28 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Think he confused them with Barca. Everton signed Mina, Digne and Andre Gomes off them in last 3 years.

56 minutes ago, Awol said:

It seems pretty clear that Barca and Real are in the deep dark financial merde: 

If we really want to be ambitious, how much to spring Vinicius Junior from Real? If we’re considering £40m for McNeil then I’d rather try for this lad for the same/similar money.

What about ousmane dembele from barca. Very injury prone but is a top top player when fit. 

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Think he confused them with Barca. Everton signed Mina, Digne and Andre Gomes off them in last 3 years.

Yeah but Everton have been in the prem for ages so their wage budget is colossal. 

59 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Ok so give me another forward as in a Buendia, a left back who can play in the centre and a backup keeper? Maybe a DM if you can find the right player to improve the first XI, but I don’t think that’s going to be as easy as people assume.

Let the players we have continue their development. If we get to January and we’ve any major injury concerns, dip the toe again. 

We all love a shiny new toy, but squad stability is massively underrated. 

Look there is a 23 man squad.

And right now we only have 

Martinez, Steer

Cash, Guilbert

Mings, Konsa, Engels, Hause

Targett

Luiz, McGinn, Sanson, Nakamba, (Ramsey doesn't count towards squad place)

Grealish, Traore, El Ghazi, (Trezeguet - probably won't be in the squad to start the year)

Watkins, Wesley, KD

That's 19 players (I have a suspicion I missed one but can't be sure). There is a good chance engels is gone given we haven't seen him in 18 months so what 18 players, 19 with a fully fit Trez. That leaves 4-5 players to be signed more if they are age 21 or less at the start of the season.

Give me 2 wingers, play jack as a CAM, and get me a DM for our first 11 changes.

Then LB, CB, GK as depth. Ideally one of the wingers and the LB are young and don't count towards the squad limit. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, brummybloke said:

21 million quid. I can see them loaning him out abroad as his contributions have dropped massively and paying that sort of money for a squad player is nuts

he isnt technical enough for a team abroad

41 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Are you just here to troll. Cherno Samba retired in 2015. I assume the rest are all joke references too

They were good players on football manager in the past.

4 hours ago, El-Reacho said:

Bit harsh surely? He's there to play football - it's not his fault he can't give Klopp-esque interviews filled with charisma to millions of viewers straight after losing the European Cup final. He doesn't want to be there he has to fulfil some sort of contractual obligation by doing it. In light of the Osaka story at Roland Garros you do wonder what the point in interviewing guys like that is? Who gets anything out of it?

at least Sterling interview feels more genuine than man of the camera Klopp

54 minutes ago, Awol said:

Okay. It’s a wonder players are ever sold from clubs like Real to say, Everton, who clearly have a lower wage structure. 

I dont think they do, Everton pay big money usually for rejects from these teams who dont do anything. Value for money Everton probably have the worst team in the world

1 hour ago, Awol said:

It seems pretty clear that Barca and Real are in the deep dark financial merde: 

If we really want to be ambitious, how much to spring Vinicius Junior from Real? If we’re considering £40m for McNeil then I’d rather try for this lad for the same/similar money.

0 in transfer fees but probably a million a week combined in wages plus large signing on fees

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Digne has been good the other 2 have been absolute useless

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

They are all from Championship Manager 2001/02

I don’t know where this suggestion that some of us want major surgery has come from… I have never got that impression… I think we’re all pleased with the progress we have made & with the core of the team.

Just a couple of key & high quality additions for the first team would please all if not most of us and put us in a much better position to do better next season.

We certainly don’t need too many. And, of course, it would be best to splash out on those 1 or 2 players that could really help elevate us to the next level or further…

But we also have to be wary of complacency and understand that other teams will strengthen and improve too so we should look to upgrade and enhance where needed & possible, within our means and budget. Some players should/could improve, others may not and their form could even decline.

Just looking at the squad overall, it is quite light and lacking in quality options, there is a gap or two there. Obviously, the best approach is that we get better players that would relegate 1 or 2 players to the bench to then become the backups or competition, but only so much is possible and sensible. I realise that it’s a step by step process.

We do have some excellent players that have improved and should continue to do so, there’s no doubt about that and there is no need to disrupt them… but there are also a few that we can definitely improve upon or at least provide them some genuine competition.

For the squad (not first team), we certainly need another LB, an extra attacking player would be welcome but maybe not essential. We need not spend heavily in this aspect. We’ve rightly released some players but it may have left us lighter in terms of backups or squad options.

Any players who leave would most likely need replacing, Engels is the one that stands out and we would definitely need another CB if he left. If we send either Wesley or Davis out on loan (or sell) then we need someone to play CF too, to cover and (even better) compete with Ollie.

I just don’t think any of the kids beyond Carney could be ready for many minutes in the PL (huge jump up) yet and would really benefit from loans & further development.

I don’t think Ramsey was anything special last season but I think we had to involve him due to a lack of options and loss of form or fitness for certain players. I personally don’t think a team chasing the top 8 or 6 should really be giving such a (young) player significant game time (starts or near full games) unless he is truly outstanding or exceptional… he could do with a loan too and return a better player…

If we want to kick on and climb the table, we need to put ourselves in a better position to compete throughout the season and not suffer so heavily from the loss or drop off of a key player.

Major surgery is not required but we have to strengthen in a sensible & considered way… you can always improve…

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Give me 2 wingers, play jack as a CAM, and get me a DM for our first 11 changes.

Jack has vastly superior goals and assists in PL at LW vs CAM. 

Smith clearly doesn't want to play dedicated DM but double pivot which he has Luiz McGinn Sanson (Ramsey) to fill 2 positions and Nakamba if he ever does deploy DM like the 6 games Nakamba played last season Draw (Brighton) Win (Newcastle Arsenal Leeds Spurs Chelsea)

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Jack has vastly superior goals and assists in PL at LW vs CAM. 

Smith clearly doesn't want to play dedicated DM but double pivot which he has Luiz McGinn Sanson (Ramsey) to fill 2 positions and Nakamba if he ever does deploy DM like the 6 games Nakamba played last season Draw (Brighton) Win (Newcastle Arsenal Leeds Spurs Chelsea)

More assists. Fewer goals but he tends to go on goal scoring streaks and one hasn't coincided with him playing as a CAM this season.