Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

In terms of net spend in the last 2 seasons is ours the highest in the world or at least close to it? Yes pretty much a whole squad had to be purchased but it shows our owners aren’t messing about. They mean business.

That and it was all figured in when they scoped us. They want a top PL team, they just didnt want to buy a top PL team. Less fun, poor value.

They do indeed mean business. We're actually ahead of schedule in the plan I reckon. Maybe by a year. No time to plateau out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

I think it will be 5 players who can be part of our match day squad. A replacement for engels is a no brainer. And we desperately need a backup for targett.

We also only have a 19 man (u-21s to start the season don't count against the squad) squad with Heaton, Elmo and Taylor leaving and Trez being injured until Jan. It would make sense to fill that up and maybe move engels on so we can get a solid or young back up CB. If they are English or played in England for a while they also wouldn't count against the squad cap which would be useful. 

I would welcome 4-5 signings, and did initially think we'd go for that, much like last year. But Purslow's comments have seriously lowered my expectations. 

I'm fine with 2 if they're both first team starting players and it means we move 2 of our current first 11 to the bench. We can replace Barkley with a permanent better version of him (Buendia would be ideal for me as could then move Jack centrally), and sign a better Nakamba. That moves one of McGinn or Luiz to the bench,  and gives us rotation options in our front 3 behind Watkins.

For Rb/lb backup we have Guilbert, who has played both positions and I'd be very comfortable with him in an injury situation. Guess he replaces elmo and Taylor in one player if we're looking to cut salary expenditure.

The only real gap I think it leaves is cover at striker, but Wesley and Davis probably give us enough cover, and a bit of a plan B, but if Watkins is injured long term we're in real trouble.

I guess they'd go with revisiting that position in January if an injury arose.

They'll be promoting from our youth team to the backup positions going forwards, but maybe next season is a bit soon for that, so may even see another loan (although given how this one went you'd hope they're a bit more thorough about who they pick).

20 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Challenging for top 6 is a failure. We need to be top 6 and challenging for champions league otherwise jack is a goner. We can't expect him to be matt le Tissier. 

Negative. World Cup 2022 has to be in our sights next season.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AV82 said:

Negative. World Cup 2022 has to be in our sights next season.

To be fair to @MotoMkali i think he is shit scared of us losing Jack and wants us to keep him at all costs.

With his reasoning being, that this is the only way to do so.

• Like 1

There are plenty of reasons Purslow would understate our impending business.

Underprivileged, overdeliver.

Avoid being held to ransom by gobshites who know you're under pressure to buy.

Keep costs down per player.

Or, it is what he says it will be. But I personally doubt we're only after 'a couple' of signings. Unless they are beyond amazing.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

There are plenty of reasons Purslow would understate our impending business.

Underprivileged, overdeliver.

Avoid being held to ransom by gobshites who know you're under pressure to buy.

Keep costs down per player.

Or, it is what he says it will be. But I personally doubt we're only after 'a couple' of signings. Unless they are beyond amazing.

Go fishing for bigger fish that we feel less confident of getting... 

We only make a couple of signings but we might attempt several ambitious ones 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Davis is the one I'd be letting go out on loan and then bring in another striker. I think at this point we know Davis just doesn't cut it at this level, whereas there's still a question mark over Wes. 

9 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

I was saying the other day that a loan move to a league like the Eredivisie would be ideal for him. Give him a year to get his fitness and confidence back and assess from there. Hope this happens.

If you were saying it on here that's probably where they've got the idea to invent the article :D

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

I was saying the other day that a loan move to a league like the Eredivisie would be ideal for him. Give him a year to get his fitness and confidence back and assess from there. Hope this happens.

Agreed

I think it's a risk going into next season with Davis and Wesley as backup for Watkins. Neither of them for various reasons can be fully trusted to be the main striker in the event of Watkins being seriously injured. Question is can we fund a replacement to the level of Watkins again.

• Like 1