Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

New DM? Who was MOTM against Spurs and Chelsea?

I’m not insistent on it but if we can upgrade and have better options then that’s only a positive thing.

Again, we can’t afford to be complacent.

A couple of standout performances doesn’t immediately mean that Nakamba will be outstanding throughout a season and can be relied on.

He is great at the defensive side but he’s also a bit small and possibly lightweight, his quality on the ball & passing is lacking but, of course, he could continue to improve. We’ll have to see and Dean will be the best judge. I think he still sees Luiz as first choice but Nakamba is a decent option to help us defensively in the games where we are more likely to be dominated and put under pressure.

I would like us to strengthen in such a way that we can directly compete and face the “big teams” head on and battle for possession rather than rely on defensive discipline and breakaways… maybe it’s too soon for that…

Some added strength and aerial prowess with quality on the ball would massively help us, mix it with the big boys…

I’m not saying we should just replace everyone we can but we can’t stand stil either, other teams won’t.

20 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

if we were to only sign 2 players, i would want a DM and a no.10.

If 3 players, a DM, no.10 and a winger.

DCM, LB

wide forward for a third.

19 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Yep, agree completely. The midfield is the first priority for me. 

I think even with our current wingers we'd score plenty if we didn't spend games getting walked over in the midfield. 

We often got walked over in midfield because of our wingers and Barkley losing the ball and/or failing to press when opposition is in possession. Our midfield then gets caught out of position and has to cover too much ground and too many players.

Upgrading the wide forwards or a wide forward and the 10 position is the top priority, imo. Traore is a great option but I’d like another one. El Ghazi, for me, is too limited, even though he does score goals in fits and spurts. 

Edit: and of course cover for Targett! 

Edited by Awol
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Awol said:

We often got walked over in midfield because of our wingers and Barkley losing the ball and/or failing to press when opposition is in possession. Our midfield then gets caught out of position and has to cover too much ground and too many players.

Upgrading the wide forwards or a wide forward and the 10 position is the top priority, imo. Traore is a great option but I’d like another one. El Ghazi, for me, is too limited, even though he does score goals in fits and spurts. 

El Ghazi is our weakest link in attack and build up play. If we can relegate him to a constant bench option (or even move him on for a good deal) and bring in a top quality player or two in attack, such as Buendia, then that would really help us.

This is the thing, it’s good to have faith in players and see them, hopefully, improve but sometimes you can have too much faith, patience, overconfidence & even sentimentality and it holds the team back.

We have to strengthen where we can so we continue to progress otherwise we won’t be able to kick on as we should.

9 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Norwich bought Buendia for less than 2m. Such a bullshit view thinking we have to pay over the odds or assign value to future players on their transfer fee. I'm sick of being mugged off for decades paying over the odds for players. That's what Mickey Mouse clubs do

True, but he also wasn’t ready to go into a first team trying to break into Europe at the time either though.

• Like 1

I'd see 3 top class signings as a minimum and then we a couple of prospect type signings to cover other areas. 

AM, Winger, DM - top class signings. 

LB, Striker, possibly a RB or CB depending on what is happening with Elmo, Guilbert, Engels. 

Out on loan - 1 of Davies or Wesley, J Ramsey, 

Sold or let go - Taylor, Hourihane, (Guilbert, Engels if they want to go). 

20 hours ago, MrBlack said:

"A big emphasis on scouting/recruitment behind-the-scenes"

What an absolutely nothing statement from Preece that is. Does it even actually mean anything? What even is recruitment behind the scenes? As opposed to recruitment in front of the scene?

I think it's the difference between preparing a bid and launching a bid.  We probably have different teams working on each piece of the jigsaw.  Will also probably have some advanced scouts to ensure the club we are targeting have adequately braced themselves as well or else it could get rather messy.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

He is great at the defensive side but he’s also a bit small and possibly lightweight,

This is such a load of bollocks. He's taller than Kante and Makalele. You don't need height to be a good DM.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

El Ghazi is our weakest link in attack and build up play.

I got a few laughs for saying we should sell him this summer at the top of his value to us, though getting cut from the Dutch squad is unfortunate for maxing out his price. 

Looking at who the club is extending contracts for, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him leave over the summer. Italy maybe. 

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

If Buendia can be had for 40m he ain't good enough, I want to spend 90m and the same on a DM, ffs I'd spend 40 on a back up for Targett.

Assume you taking the piss or just delusional? 

9 minutes ago, paul514 said:

DCM, LB

wide forward for a third.

So if Jacks out we have no creativity again.  How can a creative player not be number 1 acquisition both in terms of current reliance on Jack and if Jack is out of form, doubled up or out injured we struggle.  For me, a creative player is number 1 by a country mile

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

This is such a load of bollocks. He's taller than Kante and Makalele. You don't need height to be a good DM.

I didn’t say you need height to be a good DM, I said we could do with some strength and, yes, probably height in midfield as an option and to help us out.

There have been plenty of tall world class DMs too.

• Like 1

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

I have a broken leg and had a few drinks but I stand by every post

Fair enough mate but you’re entitled to your opinion and others to theirs, no need for anyone to get too worked up about these things.

Wish you the best 👍

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

I didn’t say you need height to be a good DM, I said we could do with some strength and, yes, probably height in midfield as an option and to help us out.

There have been plenty of tall world class DMs too.

It's just negging Nakamba. Smith would have a laugh reading this forum. These players doing a job for us should just be thrown in the bin according to some on here. Embarrassing 

16 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Norwich bought Buendia for less than 2m. Such a bullshit view thinking we have to pay over the odds or assign value to future players on their transfer fee. I'm sick of being mugged off for decades paying over the odds for players. That's what Mickey Mouse clubs do

Proven quality and experience Vs potential quality. Many zeros lie between the two. Occasionally you can get lucky on the latter, like McGinn, but more often you won’t. 

I look at McGinn, Luiz, Nakamba and even Sanson and I see good players but they all look small and weak compared to the kind of midfields the “top” sides have, I see them quite often brushed off the ball. I would prefer it if we weren’t so outmuscled and overpowered so often and we REALLY NEED TO KEEP A HOLD OF THAT BALL!!! 🤣

• Thanks 1