Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

37 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think it's the difference between preparing a bid and launching a bid.  We probably have different teams working on each piece of the jigsaw.  Will also probably have some advanced scouts to ensure the club we are targeting have adequately braced themselves as well or else it could get rather messy.

I bet there is a monitoring team running the rule over players too.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Norwich bought Buendia for less than 2m. Such a bullshit view thinking we have to pay over the odds or assign value to future players on their transfer fee. I'm sick of being mugged off for decades paying over the odds for players. That's what Mickey Mouse clubs do

?????

No one is saying you can't pick up the odd bargain for £2 - 3m who will make an impact in the prem.

However if that is the whole policy it won't work. You can't consistently  buy players for £2m who turn out to be worth £30m - if you could everyone would do it.

In general a team consists of a few players who have come through the ranks, a few low cost purchases and few big money signings.

Skimp on the big money signings and sooner or later you will flounder.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

unless you mean a different player, the signing from Rovers is 16

Oh we've signed two players from Bristol Rovers in the past 10 days...   15-year old Kyrie Pierre for £200k and 13-year old Bradley Burrowes.

36 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

This is such a load of bollocks. He's taller than Kante and Makalele. You don't need height to be a good DM.

Totally agree with this. Nakamba has played well every time he has been selected this season. Too many people remember last season's performances and can't see past those performances.

His passing has improved and he does what most other DM's do - give it to the better players. 

Hause, AEG, Trezeguet etc are all current bench options and have done better than expected. AEG had to play because Jack was injured he's a first choice reserve who gets into good goalscorer positions. 

People expecting 5/6 expensive signings are going to be really disappointed. We'll make 3 permanent and 1 possibly on loan. £60m total net. It's not sustainable to keep spending £100m-£125m if you're not making huge amounts of money.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Without being harsh, we aren't signing 7 players. We only bought 4 last season, and loaned in Ross.

We've been told by Purslow himself that they're looking at a couple of signings. That may mean there are a couple of youth prospects signed as well, and maybe an expectation that some of our current youth can step up if needed. But it won't be 7 players that can be part of our matchday squad.

I think it will be 5 players who can be part of our match day squad. A replacement for engels is a no brainer. And we desperately need a backup for targett.

We also only have a 19 man (u-21s to start the season don't count against the squad) squad with Heaton, Elmo and Taylor leaving and Trez being injured until Jan. It would make sense to fill that up and maybe move engels on so we can get a solid or young back up CB. If they are English or played in England for a while they also wouldn't count against the squad cap which would be useful. 

1 minute ago, hippo said:

?????

No one is saying you can't pick up the odd bargain for £2 - 3m who will make an impact in the prem.

However if that is the whole policy it won't work. You can't consistently  buy players for £2m who turn out to be worth £30m - if you could everyone would do it.

In general a team consists of a few players who have come through the ranks, a few low cost purchases and few big money signings.

Skimp on the big money signings and sooner or later you will flounder.

Or you spend 40 million on Joelinton et al 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think it's the difference between preparing a bid and launching a bid.  We probably have different teams working on each piece of the jigsaw.  Will also probably have some advanced scouts to ensure the club we are targeting have adequately braced themselves as well or else it could get rather messy.

How will we know if we have gone ahead in the bidding?

• Like 1

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Or you spend 40 million on Joelinton et al 

I'm sure you get my point. But just in case.

Some players signed for small fees will over perform.

Some players signed for big fees will under perform.

If we can nip one or two bargains I'm sure we will.

On the whole though (and with exceptions) players that command bigger fees will perform better.

14 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Villa could sign a new Idrissa Gueye in Pape Sarr | FootballFanCast.com

I've seen this story a few times over the past week or so as well, don't think i've seen it posted here though.

13 minutes ago, Awol said:

Edit: @JAMAICAN-VILLANalready posted it 

Only 18 and already an established first team member @Awol.

As you say, also fits the profile, and would be one of the  "smart " scouting choices.

Also carried the article over to this page as it's being ignored again with random arguments ;lol.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As you say, also fits the profile, and would be one of the  "smart " scouting choices.

Also carried the article over as it's being ignored again with random arguments ;lol.

Yep, just the kind of player McKenzie has form for identifying. Could be an absolute bargain. 

For me we need to prioritise 2 positions, a young LB that can deputise and challenge Targett for his spot in the team and another creative player as we all know the issues we faced when Grealish was out.

Unless we're planning on putting faith in Seb Revan at LB this season, which would be interesting.

3 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

For me we need to prioritise 2 positions, a young LB that can deputise and challenge Targett for his spot in the team and another creative player as we all know the issues we faced when Grealish was out.

Unless we're planning on putting faith in Seb Revan at LB this season, which would be interesting.

I agree. LB RB CAM and I'm quite happy bringing more of the youth players through if management think they're ready

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Totally agree with this. Nakamba has played well every time he has been selected this season. Too many people remember last season's performances and can't see past those performances.

His passing has improved and he does what most other DM's do - give it to the better players. 

Hause, AEG, Trezeguet etc are all current bench options and have done better than expected. AEG had to play because Jack was injured he's a first choice reserve who gets into good goalscorer positions. 

People expecting 5/6 expensive signings are going to be really disappointed. We'll make 3 permanent and 1 possibly on loan. £60m total net. It's not sustainable to keep spending £100m-£125m if you're not making huge amounts of money.

I agree with much of this. I think 3 purchases, a couple of promotions from the 18's and maybe freddie back and that'll be our lot. 60-80m net spend. No need to go crazy anymore. I'm sure they already said Sanson was purchased with this summers budget, iirc. 

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In the little scouting report at the beginning it claims one of his strengths is " LONG SHOT "

So we'll be competing against Man Utd for this transfer if we are interested?

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

If Buendia can be had for 40m he ain't good enough, I want to spend 90m and the same on a DM, ffs I'd spend 40 on a back up for Targett.

Pay Day Dog GIF by Justin

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Also carried the article over to this page as it's being ignored again with random arguments ;lol.

He has very impressive stats. I would love to get him if he could be had for around 15 mil. 

I like Nakamba, he's an honest player and provides some vital attributes in certain types of games, but it's not unfair or "writing him off" to acknowledge that he's one of the more upgradable members of the active first team squad. It's a vital area of the pitch where to play for a upper-end side - which we're aspiring to be - you usually need to be a bit of an all-rounder and just as capable in possession as you are out of it, and in the former aspect Marvelous is inconsistent at best and thus limits us, particularly in games where we'd look to have more of a foothold. I'm sure he'll remain a valuable squad member whatever the case.

• Like 3

People expecting us to be spending £100m for a third summer in a row, after a season of huge losses are wrong. It will not happen. That is not sustainable spending. If we spend more then £50m to improve the first team that will be a huge surprise.