Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

8 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Yep, and we already signed Sanson for this summer (albeit 5 months early) and have signed a 13 year old youth player for £200k from Bristol Rovers.

unless you mean a different player, the signing from Rovers is 16

We could do with a Bruno Fernandes ( I genuinely dislike him) type signing in terms of impact, influence and in terms of raising the standards of the club and other players around him. Doesn't have to be a big money signing it can even be a freebie. A guy who just wants to win all the time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Villaphil said:

Maybe I’m being optimistic, but I’m expecting LB, ST and AM to come in, along with Guilbert returning.  The other Aaron Ramsey anyone ??

Would almost be worth it just so we can sing “there’s only one Aaron Ramsey” when there’s two of them on the pitch at the same time. Almost.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Callum Hudson-Odoi - overhyped or a risk worth taking ? 

he looked really good when he first appeared for England. But this season he has looked very average when he has played. Clearly has ability doesn't seem to be fulfilling his potential.

Not feeling the gloom about this window - we beat pretty much everybody last season and came close a few times. We lost ground through inconsistency and mostly due to Jack's absence. Bring in that creative player and maybe another, then one or two other positions strengthened and the only thing  between us and top 6 is poor management. Smith will be loving it and sh*tting it at the same time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

As a general point - quality over quantity for me. Fully agree with Purslow, a couple of smart signings and we are flying. 

Plus, we have not invested all that money and effort into the academy to not give it a chance to bear fruit and at least pad out the squad. 

So whether the net spend is £50m or £100m, it doesn't really matter. What matters is the ability of those player(s) to improve our first team. 

Totally, I have never in my life been so confident that we are well enough run to trust the club to identify what is needed most and to go and get it. Whether that is a £3m signing no-one has ever heard of or one othe big names people are touting I'm not arsed because we actually appear to be quite capable both in recruitment and then subsequently coaching a player to improve.

Awesome, fixture list out yet?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

As a general point - quality over quantity for me. Fully agree with Purslow, a couple of smart signings and we are flying. 

Plus, we have not invested all that money and effort into the academy to not give it a chance to bear fruit and at least pad out the squad. 

So whether the net spend is £50m or £100m, it doesn't really matter. What matters is the ability of those player(s) to improve our first team. 

Yep. Also I think some people maybe heard Smith talk about how the third year in the PL is about "building" your squad and confused it with completing that building all in one short time frame. If incremental but sizable improvements is what we're going for then it makes a lot of sense.

• Thanks 1

GK & Defence is sorted (need another LB)

new DM?       Sanson/McGinn

Traore              Buendia?          Jack

Watkins              

For the first team, we could get away with just signing an AM/LW depending on where we play Jack, just signing Buendia would significantly strengthen and improve us.

Another top player or two would be excellent if they were genuine upgrades. And they could each be expensive buys, anywhere from 20-40m. 

It’s possible that it isn’t the budget that is overly limited but rather that we just don’t want to sign too many players to disrupt the balance and cohesion of the side…

Beyond that, I would remain a bit concerned about squad depth & options. But maybe we’d be fine until Jan.

Maybe we will also pick up a couple of players on modest fees, maybe some up and coming youngsters ready to compete or cover for certain positions. We have to get a LB in, so we do require at least 2-3 signings overall.

I’ve got a feeling we won’t be signing a DM/CM (maybe Dean & Purslow have enough confidence in our existing midfielders) but, again, I would like to see us add some strength & physicality.

Genuine competition for Traore would be welcome, Buendia may take his place with either Jack in CAM or LW - then we’d need a new CAM or LW. Not sure if Buendia would play LW as he has predominantly played for Norwich on the right but could play CAM and would like to…

Someone who could cover a wide position and play CF would be very helpful.

At least 2 big signings would probably please the majority of us, it’s just that there are areas where we could do with more competition/cover…

If we want to compete and try to surpass the likes of Arsenal & Spurs and create some distance from the likes of Wolves & Leeds, we can’t afford to be complacent and we must strengthen accordingly. I think we will & can look forward to the season with excitement & optimism and see further progress.

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

if we were to only sign 2 players, i would want a DM and a no.10.

If 3 players, a DM, no.10 and a winger.

Yep, agree completely. The midfield is the first priority for me. 

I think even with our current wingers we'd score plenty if we didn't spend games getting walked over in the midfield. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

GK & Defence is sorted (need another LB)

new DM?       Sanson/McGinn

Traore              Buendia?          Jack

Watkins              

For the first team, we could get away with just signing an AM/LW depending on where we play Jack, just signing Buendia would significantly strengthen and improve us.

Another top player or two would be excellent if they were genuine upgrades. And they could each be expensive buys, anywhere from 20-40m. 

It’s possible that it isn’t the budget that is overly limited but rather that we just don’t want to sign too many players to disrupt the balance and cohesion of the side…

Beyond that, I would remain a bit concerned about squad depth & options. But maybe we’d be fine until Jan.

Maybe we will also pick up a couple of players on modest fees, maybe some up and coming youngsters ready to compete or cover for certain positions. We have to get a LB in, so we do require at least 2-3 signings overall.

I’ve got a feeling we won’t be signing a DM/CM (maybe Dean & Purslow have enough confidence in our existing midfielders) but, again, I would like to see us add some strength & physicality.

Genuine competition for Traore would be welcome, Buendia may take his place with either Jack in CAM or LW - then we’d need a new CAM or LW. Not sure if Buendia would play LW as he has predominantly played for Norwich on the right but could play CAM and would like to…

Someone who could cover a wide position and play CF would be very helpful.

At least 2 big signings would probably please the majority of us, it’s just that there are areas where we could do with more competition/cover…

If we want to compete and try to surpass the likes of Arsenal & Spurs and create some distance from the likes of Wolves & Leeds, we can’t afford to be complacent and we must strengthen accordingly. I think we will & can look forward to the season with excitement & optimism and see further progress.

New DM? Who was MOTM against Spurs and Chelsea?

3 hours ago, hippo said:

I read it as fewer but more expensive players.

More £15m players won't really progress us at all - and would be disappointing if that happens 

Breaks are on my expectations now.