Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

this is a genuine question, considering out net spend is roughly zero, why do we think we are deciding not to go out and buy 1-2 more players to really push on with the squad?

Allowing the 5 new signings to settle?, does Deano actually think we dont need any new players?, are we storing up a war chest for Jan or next summer?, something else?

Probably couldn’t get our main targets especially in midfield I feel.

• Like 2

Not sure how many further we could actually accomodate in the middle of the park, we are pretty bloated there number wise (although that is not matched quality wise).

As it stands with centre midfielder players we have McGinn, Luiz, Nakamba, Ramsey, Hourihane, Sanson; then we have widemen of El Ghazi, Traore, Bailey, Buendia and Trezeguet. Then you've got the youngsters in those positions getting minutes like Chuk, JPB, Archer.

I think we were at the 25 squad limit, although i assume Wesley going on loan gives us 1 space back.

Got to think of wagebill as well; we cant just keep adding players.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

this is a genuine question, considering our net spend is roughly zero, why do we think we are deciding not to go out and buy 1-2 more players to really push on with the squad?

Allowing the 5 new signings to settle?, does Deano actually think we dont need any new players?, are we storing up a war chest for Jan or next summer?, something else?

Maybe the owners simply turned the taps off now we are a stable premier league club?

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Xela said:

Fax your CV over to Johan Lange. 

I'd wager there are many on here who could also name 12 gettable targets for DCM you just need to watch a lot of football or have an interest in football stats.

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm pretty sure part of Dean's remit is to bring through the youth players too rather than signing mid-range squad players.  There seems to be money there for the top quality signings we want but been rebuffed.  

Agree on the youth players and I’m all for it. Pointless signing player unless they are are going to dramatically improve what we already have, this is why I found the Sansom transfer strange. We haven’t seen lots of him but don’t think he was a player we actually needed. 

Regarding the top quality signings I think the club maybe have been a little naive here. Chasing ESR was a complete waste of time, why would he leave his boyhood team to come to a smaller club, it was a complete non starter. JWP was the same but to a lesser degree, if a top 4 club had come in for him he would’ve gone. We aren’t at the level to attract these sort of players yet. We need to look abroad for top quality at this moment in time, the pull of the PL helps attract players. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I'd wager there are many on here who could also name 12 gettable targets for DCM you just need to watch a lot of football or have an interest in football stats.

Whether or not they are gettable would be largely based on assumptions and guesswork unless their club has openly said they can go and the player has said they want to come to the Prem and they don't mind not playing in Europe. 

I think the reason we haven't signed a DCM is becasue Dean Smith doesn't want one. 

• Like 1

A prime Gareth Barry sitting in front of the back 4 would be perfect for us. Someone who can dictate play with a range of passing but is also comfortable on the ball in tight situations. 

1 hour ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Probably couldn’t get our main targets especially in midfield I feel.

That's exactly why.  Probably right now JWPs agent is letting us know how much his release clause is for the next summer window. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

this is a genuine question, considering our net spend is roughly zero, why do we think we are deciding not to go out and buy 1-2 more players to really push on with the squad?

TBH, these are the same kinds of questions I have. But on top of that, I don't know the implications of holding on to the money, or even what the means, given the volatility of the transfer market. It just seems there are a crowd of new players and I feel nervous about seeing how they work together. I think I'm still a little traumatized by the summer of 2015 and there being this big changing of the guard at Villa and then diaster afterward, or at least that's how I remember it. 

2 hours ago, paul514 said:

We are not in good shape in the midfield, that’s just a fact.

This issue existed all of last season regardless of what has happened in the summer.

I could name a dozen gettable DCM’s which would vastly improve our midfield, it’s balance and how easily we are walked through.

If you had to name one, who would you say is the best prospect?

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

And a significant coaching licence and proven experience in recruitment at a professional club in a highly rated league etc etc, … FM 21 experience not considered.

• Like 1

Everyone's favourite Alan Nixon linked us to Curtis Jones tonight. £15m.

I don't see Liverpool selling him and absolutely not a chance £15m so unless he's waffling that's a waste of time. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, rbcuk said:

I know a few of us have mentioned koopmeiners, bargain they have managed to get at that price 

Jesus wept, £12m!

Less than we paid for Traore? Less than we paid for Targett or Cash. Blimey.

I think we'll be knocking around for one or two in January because we do look a bit short on quality to me.

£12m!!!

Edited by Tomaszk

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

If you had to name one, who would you say is the best prospect?

I’ve said Koopmeiners for two years now so why change but seriously there are loads of good DCM’s right now

• Like 1

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

I’ve said Koopmeiners for two years now so why change but seriously there are loads of good DCM’s right now

Are there many better DM “prospects” (term the OP used) than Boubacar Kamara atm? Would be amazing value and gettable too…

• Like 2

So do we need a new keeper now with Emi deciding to pretty much be absent for so many games due to the International thing? We also need to find another way without Buendia now too.

This season has to be the most disrupted one i can remember. Pre-season was a shambles, now we have injuries & covid issues to half the team and to top it all off we are losing two big players for goodness knows how long..... European push my arse!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Are there many better DM “prospects” (term the OP used) than Boubacar Kamara atm? Would be amazing value and gettable too…

I don’t drill down to who is the very best as I don’t do it as a job but there is a basket of players we could dip into of a good quality (certainly higher quality than we have). Once you have a good quality player in any position it becomes increasingly hard to get someone better.

Thats how I look at it, once you have a top 6 quality player it’s exceedingly difficult for loads of reasons to get someone better. I’m just after those top 6 quality players.