Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

14 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Is Lange away on International duty.

Out of interest how many of the players we have signed do we think have been Lange signings, Sansom, Bailey?

Today’s line up highlighted we are playing a dangerous game if we are sticking with what we’ve got as squad is unbalanced currently. We have the means in terms of finances to change that and add further quality. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Today’s line up highlighted we are playing a dangerous game if we are sticking with what we’ve got as squad is unbalanced currently. We have the means in terms of finances to change that and add further quality. 

I agree, although tbf at the moment we have an exceptionally severe injury crisis. Starting CB and captain out, 3 of our best 4/5 senior CMs out and 3 of our 5 best attacking players out. Even if we got a good CM in (and we should), we still would've had to put out a makeshift team today.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WHY said:

Out of interest how many of the players we have signed do we think have been Lange signings, Sansom, Bailey?

This is a myth. All signings go through various stages and the Y or N is a joint decision by the transfer committee, Johan, Deano, Cristian, Wes, Nas and Beryl.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

This is a myth. All signings go through various stages and the Y or N is a joint decision by the transfer committee, Johan, Deano, Cristian, Wes, Nas and Beryl.

What’s a myth, someone must recommend the players we sign. I’m not saying they don’t go through a transfer committee before making a final decision but someone must be in charge of finding the players in the first place. If they aren’t I don’t really see the point of Lange to be honest. Also if this isn’t the case, Suso getting the bullet seems harsh if it is a collective decision.

Edited by WHY

6 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

THANK YOU!  Trying to assign a signing to a single person is a fool's errand. It doesn't work that way anymore for any modern football club. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, WHY said:

What’s a myth, someone must recommend the players we sign. I’m not saying they don’t go through a transfer committee before making a final decision but someone must be in charge of finding the players in the first place. If they aren’t I don’t really see the point of Lange to be honest. Also if this isn’t the case, Suso getting the bullet seems harsh if it is a collective decision.

yeh, the scouts are all under Lange or Deano might know a player and recommend him to Lange. We have number crunchers who might narrow down some candidates for particular position etc etc, its a complicated business now and I think we finally have a team that function well, I like Lange, I'm afraid not to to be honest.

Re - Suso, maybe he wasn't a team player and was bullshitting his way through the process.

Anyway, we have some pretty knowledgeable people on here who might be able to throw a more accurate light on this subject.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Mings McGinn Watkins Bailey Traore Sanson didn't start. At least 4 first XI players

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I think we are a good player away from having a more balanced MF, however, you cannot legislate for this last week and the Villa bad luck. We are still a work in progress as frustrating as it is. 

10 hours ago, Paul33 said:

If Tammy hadn't played for Villa in the Championship, I doubt you'd look twice at him as an option. Sentimentality fuels the love in for Tammy, not his fit with the current team and its ambitions or needs. His stats are swayed by lots of goals in "B-Squad" cup games.

I wasn’t calling for him as an option and I have gone on record in this forum on several occasions stating the opportunity for Abraham to come back to Villa had passed him by. You need to go and look at the statistics rather than making dismissive comments.

The reality is Abrahams stats at the same age are better than Ings, he also has CL experience. He also hasn’t reached his prime years as a striker and can and will probably still improve, it’s why Chelsea stuck a buy back clause in this transfer to Roma. Has nothing to do with sentimentality, just common sense.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Missing Mings, McGinn, Ramsey, Sanson, Bailey, Traore and a fully fit Watkins today. 

I wouldn't read too much into the game today. 

edit: point already made :)

Edited by Xela

I'm not sure I grasp what the dominant sentiment of more informed Villa observers is, but I'm kind of hoping we hold onto our money (if that's even a thing, as I don't really know what happens to unspent transfer funds) unless there are some amazing buys out there, and I don't see them, personally.

It just feels like there's SO much new talent and SO many injury variables, it's hard to read the lay of the land just now. So that suggests "wait" to me, or at least, extreme caution. If we didn't make wise purchases with the bulk of the Grealish money -- and juries still out on that -- well, we'll find out, I guess, but it's hard to imagine one single purchase now changing that. My gut tells me we're in good shape -- we just need time for players to play and heal and gel as a squad. I admit, I'm not on the level of knowledge or intelligence of most of you folks when it comes to Villa stuff, so I express my thoughts humbly. Not to say I'm not worried about the injuries ...  

7 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I'm not sure I grasp what the dominant sentiment of more informed Villa observers is, but I'm kind of hoping we hold onto our money (if that's even a thing, as I don't really know what happens to unspent transfer funds) unless there are some amazing buys out there, and I don't see them, personally.

It just feels like there's SO much new talent and SO many injury variables, it's hard to read the lay of the land just now. So that suggests "wait" to me, or at least, extreme caution. If we didn't make wise purchases with the bulk of the Grealish money -- and juries still out on that -- well, we'll find out, I guess, but it's hard to imagine one single purchase now changing that. My gut tells me we're in good shape -- we just need time for players to play and heal and gel as a squad. I admit, I'm not on the level of knowledge or intelligence of most of you folks when it comes to Villa stuff, so I express my thoughts humbly. Not to say I'm not worried about the injuries ...  

We are not in good shape in the midfield, that’s just a fact.

This issue existed all of last season regardless of what has happened in the summer.

I could name a dozen gettable DCM’s which would vastly improve our midfield, it’s balance and how easily we are walked through.

• Like 3

this is a genuine question, considering our net spend is roughly zero, why do we think we are deciding not to go out and buy 1-2 more players to really push on with the squad?

Allowing the 5 new signings to settle?, does Deano actually think we dont need any new players?, are we storing up a war chest for Jan or next summer?, something else?

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2