Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

I think Smith playing Young in central midfield - who quite possibly has never played there before, a handful of times at most - over Nakamba probably says something about how happy he is with his options there*, even with the absentees. Don't think it's a coincidence we've been linked with so many midfielders.

* I know he said otherwise in a press conference but sometimes people tell white lies.

Edited by Indigo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

FSG may well decide to cash in and would rather have Curtis Jones than Dwight McNeil … Would lead me to believe el Ghazi could go. Jones and McKennie is my unrealistic dream end to the window 

After the start he's made to the season why on earth would we be wanting to sell El Ghazi??? Why are some of our fans so eager to get rid of him?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I think Smith playing Young in central midfield - who quite possibly has never played there before, a handful of times at most - over Nakamba probably says something about how happy he is with his options there*, even with the absentees. Don't think it's a coincidence we've been linked with so many midfielders.

* I know he said otherwise in a press conference but sometimes people tell white lies.

Agree with this.

We could have played either of Hourihane or Nakamba yesterday, but went with a 36-year old that hasn't really ever played their before, especially in the PL.

Not blaming Smith as he clearly thought it was best, and I'm sure having Young's experience and composure in there will have helped Chukwuemeka, but it's a bit of a strange one.

6 minutes ago, Indigo said:

spacer.png

Yep, and because Conor and Marv didn’t start or get a game yesterday it sends a clear message, especially to the players, of where they stand or how they are rated.

I would love another signing or two, would also give us a lift, and it could happen but we may also just be waiting for everyone to get fit and for Dean to finally get to select his strongest side.

Atm, Luiz is our only quality option in the DM position. Despite what many think of him, we don’t have a better or comparable option. Nor do we have any competition for him… I believe it’s an area we need to address and a stronger or different option would help…

He’s our best bet atm and we are a different side when he plays. I hope we bring in another option because relying on individuals so heavily is always a concern…

Houseem Aouar (CM)  from Lyon thats who i want us to sign, jump ahead of spurs and grab him , slap him in the middle of the pitch and watch us ooze quality, him bailey and buendia will be frightening. We would certainly be finishing top 8 if we made that happen

12 hours ago, MaVilla said:

this is a genuine question, considering our net spend is roughly zero, why do we think we are deciding not to go out and buy 1-2 more players to really push on with the squad?

Allowing the 5 new signings to settle?, does Deano actually think we dont need any new players?, are we storing up a war chest for Jan or next summer?, something else?

I genuinely think we had a list of midfield targets that we wanted, but none of them have come off. They've either stayed put and signed new contracts or they simply don't want to join us (a mid-table team with no European football). People talking about Koopmeiners and why we weren't interested.... he's going to a team in Italy in the Champions League. Far more glamourous. It actually makes our signing of Bailey a real coup.

I'd rather we didn't spend money out of desperation on players now and it makes sense to wait until January/next summer and re-evaluate. I know there is a clamour from some on here to spend but thats human nature isn't it? For some it's all about today and no thought of tomorrow. I'm sure the club is doing everything it can. They haven't let us down yet under this ownership and management have they?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RicRic said:

Houseem Aouar (CM)  from Lyon thats who i want us to sign, jump ahead of spurs and grab him , slap him in the middle of the pitch and watch us ooze quality, him bailey and buendia will be frightening. We would certainly be finishing top 8 if we made that happen

Him and a defensive midfielder would see us as a top 8 side. We still need a quality deep lying midfield option. I was actually impressed with Luiz yesterday. I can see him alongside another defensive minded midfielder in a double pivot should we sign that player. 

You’d then have McGinn/Sanson/Ramsey fighting it out as the no.8 or maybe even play Buendia as the 10 in games where we have more of the ball. 

I think that’s the most annoying thing about not having that strong, defensive midfield option - not being able to properly showcase our attacking talent for fear of being taken apart on the counter. 

Im really hoping we can move a couple on in the next few days and spend big on a quality defensive midfield option.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

FSG may well decide to cash in and would rather have Curtis Jones than Dwight McNeil … Would lead me to believe el Ghazi could go. Jones and McKennie is my unrealistic dream end to the window 

I think there is absolutely no chance of El Ghazi going.  He's getting game time and Smith seems to really like him.  I dont see why people have either an issue with him or think he's likely to go.  Obviously we feel that we should have better players starting but as a back up player and the way he can play especially yesterday, why the hell would you want him to go? No chance he's going in my opinion.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I've just seen a rumour that we're in for Curtis Jones, doesn't really make any sense to me....

Yeah it's been talked about all morning on here, I dont think anybody thinks its real despite a couple of sources saying it.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I think there is absolutely no chance of El Ghazi going.  He's getting game time and Smith seems to really like him.  I dont see why people have either an issue with him or think he's likely to go.  Obviously we feel that we should have better players starting but as a back up player and the way he can play especially yesterday, why the hell would you want him to go? No chance he's going in my opinion.

He obviously has a ceiling but right now I'd agree that there's no chance of him going.

• Like 1

Curtis jones has been playing deeper for Liverpool's first team but for their youth teams he played further forward as part of a front three similar to Elliott. It won't happen, but if we were to sign him it would be as an alternative to Smith Rowe, that versatile attacking midfielder that was being talked about a week or so back when we were being linked to Cantwell.

1 minute ago, useless said:

Curtis jones has been playing deeper for Liverpool's first team but for their youth teams he played further forward as part of a front three similar to Elliott. It won't happen, but if we were to sign him it would be as an alternative to Smith Rowe, that versatile attacking midfielder that was being talked about a week or so back when we were being linked to Cantwell.

He fits the profile. Young, British, knows the league, will only improve. Good attitude etc.