Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

Apparently in his post-match interview Smith has said that a couple of players might leave on loan.

Given the injury challenges we have, I’m not sure that’s such a good plan, unless it’s the likes of Lindley or Aaron Ramsey. If it’s Guilbert and Hourihane that could leave us a little light if we’re not bringing anyone else in.

I’m not sure it’s that bad.

Guilbert perhaps, but players like Hourihane, Ramsey should go out. McGinn, Ramsey and Sanson will be available next match, we’ll be have a much better looking team in a couple of weeks.

If a decent bid came in for El Ghazi and Nakamba, I’d still sell. 

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

ye, gotta agree with this, if our mate Martinez wants to go play for the argies, against the clubs wishes and miss numerous games, then we need to get a keeper to challenge him.

It’s an interesting conundrum for the club. We pay the man 50k a week or whatever, and he’s gonna be missing a third of the season. How do you manage it? It’s kind of unprecedented. Does a contract cover quarantine in a pandemic?

Its a bit of a mess. I don’t blame Martinez either, which is why it’s such a delicate situation. 

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

It’s an interesting conundrum for the club. We pay the man 50k a week or whatever, and he’s gonna be missing a third of the season. How do you manage it? It’s kind of unprecedented. Does a contract cover quarantine in a pandemic?

Its a bit of a mess. I don’t blame Martinez either, which is why it’s such a delicate situation. 

well, in "normal businesses" they wouldnt dare as it would lead to the sack probably, but in the football world that just isnt realistic ofc, i still think its terrible behaviour if they go against the clubs wishes, and after the PL said they werent releasing players.

I might even consider fining them a weeks wages for every week they dont play in the first team (ie: multiple weeks), but ironically they wont care, and it might just make them unhappy and serve us no benefit, however as fergie said......"if you break the rules, i dont care who you are, you will be punished".

I dunno...its a mess, they shouldnt be going against the clubs wishes if those wishes are reasonable imo, which they are.

If they do go they will really go down in my estimations, its not Villa's fault the restrictions are how they are, and all clubs have released a joint statement, they should honour the clubs "reasonable" wishes imo.

30 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

well, in "normal businesses" they wouldnt dare as it would lead to the sack probably, but in the football world that just isnt realistic ofc, i still think its terrible behaviour if they go against the clubs wishes, and after the PL said they werent releasing players.

I might even consider fining them a weeks wages for every week they dont play in the first team (ie: multiple weeks), but ironically they wont care, and it might just make them unhappy and serve us no benefit, however as fergie said......"if you break the rules, i dont care who you are, you will be punished".

I dunno...its a mess, they shouldnt be going against the clubs wishes if those wishes are reasonable imo, which they are.

If they do go they will really go down in my estimations, its not Villa's fault the restrictions are how they are, and all clubs have released a joint statement, they should honour the clubs "reasonable" wishes imo.

Such a mess, mate. I don’t even know what the right thing to do is, and I have an opinion on EVERYTHING. I tell you who’ll know.@DCJonah, what should the club/players do? 

Is Sinisalo any good? Could he start in place of Martinez or would Steer still be way ahead of him in that sense. If that’s the case then could we recall Kalinic? 
Really don’t want us to have to buy another keeper for crying out loud. 

Edited by Tayls

5 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Is Sinisalo any good? Could he start in place of Martinez or would Steer still be way ahead of him in that sense. If that’s the case then could we recall Kalinic? 

i think Sinisalo is a little bit green and lightweight currently for the PL.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tayls said:

We've been sniffing around GK's all summer anyway... been rejected by 2 already, allegedly. 

When the window opened, with Jack still at the club, I felt we needed a defensive midfielder and an attacking midfielder as first team additions. We may have been able to get away with just those two to have a very good season. 

When he left, I felt as though we then needed to buy a defensive midfielder, an attacking midfielder and a left sided midfielder as an absolute minimum.

Instead, we’ve signed a striker and two right sided attackers. All good players, don’t get me wrong. Ings is a fantastic striker and Bailey/Buendia are both very solid additions.

The problem we have is balance and that’s what concerns me the most. We can all speculate as to why we haven’t signed two players that play through the middle and a left winger - e.g. the right options didn’t come up, but ultimately, we’re now going into the season with a big imbalance in quality in certain positions. 

How do you get Watkins and Ings into the same team? How do you get Traore and Buendia into the same team? Where does Bailey fit in? You have to somehow try and figure all these questions out whilst playing with three central midfielders (Sanson, McGinn, Luiz, Nakamba) who individually aren’t as good just because we’ll get overrun otherwise. 

It’s a year to consolidate, to hopefully finish around 11th like we did last season, but to say this window has been a success just baffles me. Compare it to last seasons window and it’s chalk and cheese. We’ve signed good players in positions we probably didn’t need to strengthen!

Cue the ‘stop being so negative’ responses’.

#realtalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

It’s a bit crazy that we thought it best to play Young in CM instead of a dedicated midfielder like Nakamba or Hourihane. Don’t get me wrong, I thought Young did ok, and his experience probably helped Chukwuemeka, but it says quite a lot about where Nakamba is in the pecking order.

I think it says alot that El-Ghazi was our supporters man of the match and yet none of us want him to start for us EVER ! .. now thats concerning because hes meant to be our worst yet he was our best 😂... i like el-ghazi though however not enough for him to keep starting as we are trying to get to that next level now ... we need a CM desperately and im starting to think that Weston Mckennie isn’t the player we need and i dont think he will make as much difference i was all for it before ... wish i could find a 24 year old Yaya Toure somewhere and throw him in our squad 😊

14 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

When the window opened, with Jack still at the club, I felt we needed a defensive midfielder and an attacking midfielder as first team additions. We may have been able to get away with just those two to have a very good season. 

When he left, I felt as though we then needed to buy a defensive midfielder, an attacking midfielder and a left sided midfielder as an absolute minimum.

Instead, we’ve signed a striker and two right sided attackers. All good players, don’t get me wrong. Ings is a fantastic striker and Bailey/Buendia are both very solid additions.

The problem we have is balance and that’s what concerns me the most. We can all speculate as to why we haven’t signed two players that play through the middle and a left winger - e.g. the right options didn’t come up, but ultimately, we’re now going into the season with a big imbalance in quality in certain positions. 

How do you get Watkins and Ings into the same team? How do you get Traore and Buendia into the same team? Where does Bailey fit in? You have to somehow try and figure all these questions out whilst playing with three central midfielders (Sanson, McGinn, Luiz, Nakamba) who individually aren’t as good just because we’ll get overrun otherwise. 

It’s a year to consolidate, to hopefully finish around 11th like we did last season, but to say this window has been a success just baffles me. Compare it to last seasons window and it’s chalk and cheese. We’ve signed good players in positions we probably didn’t need to strengthen!

#realtalk

It seems our expectations have now lowered and slightly failed optimism... we as a club were aiming for top 6-8 but now were happy to end the season in 10th place more or less which would be a huge disappointment considering the position we are in due to better recruitment and able to bring in players when many other clubs cant spend and the money we received for Jack, we still have time to invest this money well and give us hope of finishing higher... id probably say based on the current squad we cant finish higher than 8th..but the squad is very imbalanced due to injuries and etc

Edited by RicRic

Is anyone else fed up of the phrase 'we're done', is there not another way of expressing the idea that you don't think we will make any more signings. Reminds me of reading reddit and everyone seems to talk in exactly the same style.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, RicRic said:

It seems our expectations have now lowered and slightly failed optimism... we as a club were aiming for top 6-8 but now were happy to end the season in 10th place more or less which would be a huge disappointment considering the position we are in due to better recruitment and able to bring in players when many other clubs cant spend and the money we received for Jack, we still have time to invest this money well and give us hope of finishing higher... id probably say based on the current squad we cant finish higher than 8th..but the squad is very imbalanced due to injuries and etc

10th would have been a huge dissapointment? 

A top half finish is progress. Yes we've spent money but other clubs are still improving and doing so from a position of strength we didn't have. 

22 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

#realtalk

I don’t see it as being negative at all but a few will. I agree, the window hasn’t been a success due to what you have said. Had Grealish stayed it would have looked very good, as we would’ve had more of a balanced squad. We still need a midfielder and maybe a left sided player. I’m all for playing the kids but we still need a little more depth. 

• Like 1