Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 hour ago, PerryBarrPet said:

Why on earth would we be interested in a 20 year old midfielder at Liverpool when we have the two Ramsey brothers and Carney C available now?

because imo we arent interested, it's just paper news.  Smith has said many times our business is over for incomings, we already have the three you have already said plus all the main midfielders.  It's just paper nonsense.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, thabucks said:

FSG may well decide to cash in and would rather have Curtis Jones than Dwight McNeil … Would lead me to believe el Ghazi could go. Jones and McKennie is my unrealistic dream end to the window 

Smith directly said in his interview yesterday El Ghazy is highly rated by us and not going anywhere. I know some fans don't rate him, but Smith clearly does. He's going nowhere.

• Like 3

£15m bid for Jones is like bidding £25m for Emile Smith Rowe, an ambitious waste of time.

Fine back in June on the off chance, but no time to be messing around with that now at the end of August.

(I will take this back and sing our praises if it comes off but it feels like a waste of time)

• Like 1

Just now, Tomaszk said:

I would imagine Liverpool would accept about £60m for Jones. Not much less.

Im sure they would at that price. Jones is exactly what Villa don’t need at the moment and he isn’t that good. Villa have better young mids coming through so why would they even be interested.

For me the stand out buys for Villa is Bissouma or Philips at Leeds. It would take at least half of the Grealish fee to get one of those but those are the type of players Villa need to go for if the owners are as ambitious as they say they are.

• Like 1

Just now, striker said:

Im sure they would at that price. Jones is exactly what Villa don’t need at the moment and he isn’t that good. Villa have better young mids coming through so why would they even be interested.

For me the stand out buys for Villa are Bissouma or Philips at Leeds. It would take at least half of the Grealish fee to get one of those but those are the type of players Villa need to go for if the owners are as ambitious as they say they are.

3 minutes ago, striker said:

For me the stand out buys for Villa is Bissouma or Philips at Leeds. It would take at least half of the Grealish fee to get one of those but those are the type of players Villa need to go for if the owners are as ambitious as they say they are.

To say we have better young mids is a bold statement considering how many games he’s played for them, our young lads haven’t displaced marv or Doug who many on here claim are dogshit. All that being said I get your point, blocks the path of our youngbloods

Edited by The Inspiration

24 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Maxwel Cornet signs for Burnley. Lyon fans celebrating like they did when Traore left. 

He said that he’s pleased to play against, and with, some of the greatest players in the world.

Going to be in for a bit of a shock when he keeps getting told to lump it up to Ashley Barnes at the earliest opportunity.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, striker said:

Neither would come. Two seasons ago, maybe, we've missed the boat on them both now. Maybe in two seasons time if they have a decline in form and their current clubs falter a bit.

But both will looking at United (Matic, Fred), Liverpool (Fabinho, Henderson), Chelsea (if no Rice; Kovacic), less likely but perhaps even City (Fernandinho) and thinking they can replace or upgrade on those and are targeting titles in the next few years.

❌E̶m̶i̶l̶e̶ ̶S̶m̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶R̶o̶w̶e̶ ̶

❌J̶a̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶W̶a̶r̶d̶-̶P̶r̶o̶w̶s̶e̶

❌P̶a̶p̶e̶ ̶M̶a̶t̶a̶r̶ ̶S̶a̶r̶r̶ ̶

❌A̶x̶e̶l̶ ̶W̶i̶t̶s̶e̶l̶

⏳Cheikh Doucourè

⏳Weston McKennie

Atleast they're trying. The names and talent is the right level, different styles, different levels of development. We'll get one eventually and whilst it's very disappointing so far, the issues in the squad have been identified (as in, midfield, even if we disagree on the style of MF needed)

2 minutes ago, striker said:

I agree, whether either of those would come to us is another matter but buying one of those would be almost a game changer for Villa because they are a major piece we are missing. 

Getting a quality player in there allows the rest of the team to play. 

I would love Philips and if we had to really splash some cash I think it would be a great investment even if we had to pay a premium because he's 25 years old and would be the heart of our midfield for years to come and it wouldnt hinder our youth because I'm racking my brains and I cant think of a youth player that does that job that is one of the ones we expect to progress....Ramsey's, Chuk's, JPB etc etc....none of them are that style of midfielder.

I dont think we are buying anymore players this summer which is a real shame because I think it could really make a massive difference just that one player...I would hope a Philips or Bissouma but know neither would like come to us, their club would say not for sale or would want more than the premium we would offer for them.  Maybe there is an overseas player like some others mention although I know nothing about them apart from the VENN diagrams people put up or some video clips.  I do get nervous on them when fans rave about a player and perfect for us to take us next level yet end up going for £14m and loaned back to France...doesnt suggest he's the player we need now or the expectation of the player was rightly set by some of our fans....rumours of 25-30m fees etc and we should pay seem like our fans were way off but maybe in a few years time he'll be the next Vieira or maybe he's the next Salifou!

I'd rather stick with players that we have evidence of performing at this level and paying that premium until we are established and can risk money of potential.  I also think this is such a key buy that could really help us over the next few years.  Sadly I feel our summer is over and we are going with what we have.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

He said that he’s pleased to play against, and with, some of the greatest players in the world.

Going to be in for a bit of a shock when he keeps getting told to lump it up to Ashley Barnes at the earliest opportunity.

He has no idea what he’s getting himself into 🤣

spacer.png

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

❌E̶m̶i̶l̶e̶ ̶S̶m̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶R̶o̶w̶e̶ ̶

❌J̶a̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶W̶a̶r̶d̶-̶P̶r̶o̶w̶s̶e̶

❌P̶a̶p̶e̶ ̶M̶a̶t̶a̶r̶ ̶S̶a̶r̶r̶ ̶

❌A̶x̶e̶l̶ ̶W̶i̶t̶s̶e̶l̶

⏳Cheikh Doucourè

⏳Weston McKennie

Atleast they're trying. The names and talent is the right level, different styles, different levels of development. We'll get one eventually and whilst it's very disappointing so far, the issues in the squad have been identified (as in, midfield, even if we disagree on the style of MF needed)

We enquired about Pape Matar Sarr but was it anymore than that?  I'm sure we enquire a lot about a lot of players, and a few conversations more on some than others but were we at the point of bidding?  As for Witsel, just seems like nonsense especially after their assistant manager on twitter so as shown on the other thread.  Even the other two that are open at the bottom, what is our interest really?

The ESR and JWP really still dont make sense to me.  If we were really serious about those players why were our bids so feeble?  What were we trying to achieve?  All we seem to have done is hardened those clubs to keep the player and didnt look serious buying them given our bids.  If we really wanted them, how come we didnt go in hard (Kenneth Williams gif to follow), how come our bids were so slow afterwards....it's almost as if we dipped our toe in the water and found it too hot.  Given our usual transfer activity it seemed so lethargic, scared and/or not that bothered if we didnt get the player.  Obviously we dont know what goes on behind the scenes but that was my impression based on public information.  We were wham, bam, thank you mam for Buendia, Bailey and Ings but the others were slower and as weak as my granny.

Strange!

• Like 1