Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

2 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

This is the first window since NSWE came in that we've not improved. I honestly think our first XI is worse than the start of last season.

We've improved our squad depth at ST, CB and LB,  replaced Barkley with Buendia (who naturally plays wide right) and taken a massive step-down at LW.

We've not spent a penny. Dean Smith can talk up the youngsters in our squad as much as he wants, but they are miles off being good enough to challenge the top 7.

I can't see anything but a mid-table finish for this team. Which is a shame, as it looked a real chance to kick on. 

Firstly, you've never seen Bailey play so you cannot judge how far a 'step down' we have made at LW. 

Secondly, if you see Buendia as a direct replacement for Barkley (personally I think J Ramsey has stepped into that role) then Buendia is a massive upgrade on Ross. 

Thirdly, you do the club a huge disservice by referring to Danny Ings (currently on 2 goals and 1 assist in 3 games) as squad depth. 

Clearly some would have liked to have seen 1 or 2 more statement signings to really go for it, but what you've written above is such a one sided its like watching Man City vs Arsenal the other day. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

This is the first window since NSWE came in that we've not improved. I honestly think our first XI is worse than the start of last season.

We've improved our squad depth at ST, CB and LB,  replaced Barkley with Buendia (who naturally plays wide right) and taken a massive step-down at LW.

We've not spent a penny. Dean Smith can talk up the youngsters in our squad as much as he wants, but they are miles off being good enough to challenge the top 7.

I can't see anything but a mid-table finish for this team. Which is a shame, as it looked a real chance to kick on. 

Your opinion and of course you're entitled to it, but not many Villa fans would agree with much of that

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣

9 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

Grim -  but I kinda agree.

Only needs the form of Martinez to dip and we struggle to pick up enough points for top half.

• Haha 1

Why haven’t we improved ? Why are we supposedly worse off ? Why will we be lucky to finish higher than last year ? We are developing as a club and squad and have amazing selection of youth potential within our ranks. They will have a roadmap for each one, that’s not to say all or any with make it, but you don’t develop and invest heavily in the youth system only to buy expensive players to block the route off ( unless you are Chelsea ) we may or may not have a better season … we just need a bit of patience and perspective. For me the glaring area we are short in is CB IMHO. We have enough central midfield combinations to get us by. 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I was so expecting pages full of the biggest Twitter rubbish, yet that’s even at a minimum. 

what a dull Transfer deadline day 

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886n54ii141bc5k312xhm

I'd settle for made up nonsense and current squad fitness updates at this point.

After this weeks we've got 2 weeks with zero action as well, no window or football. smh

16 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

I disagree, we've made headway squad wise. We've effectively sold one player that held us together but also confined us to an unbalanced strategy most games. We have replaced him all across our attack. We have upgraded Engels considerably, added Ash a versatile and experienced campaigner, we have promoted our better youth players and we have cleared our some none starting fringe players.

They haven't had time to gel and he have been hit by a ridiculous list. We could add another player or two, hopefully.  We are on the right track,  have faith Cizz.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

I think a lot of the frustration wouldn’t be here had Bailey, Watkins, Sanson, and Traore have been fit for the opening games. Without them we look clearly light.

added a few names to that. people need to remember how many of the first 11 we're missing. not squad players, but actual key players.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

I think a lot of the frustration wouldn’t be here had Bailey have been fit for the opening games. Without him we look clearly light.

And more importantly Watkins We've really missed him

• Like 1

Think 55 points was a massive total last season - we finished 10 Points from 6th place in 11th, 10 points clear of 12th! Repeating 11th will be a successful season for me. 

Edited by Amed
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, hippo said:

Grim -  but I kinda agree.

Only needs the form of Martinez to dip and we struggle to pick up enough points for top half.

So u agree that we have not improved and then say that we only need a dip in form from our GK and we will struggle to pick up enough points for top half. Top half would be an improvement on last season. So if we don't have a dip in form then we should finish top half? Isn't this an improvement on last year?

Everyone we have signed is attack minded, I think we know why Smith is happy,. A tough defensive midfielder is a neglected position, if Smith thinks he can do without one, fair play, an good luck to him, he'll need it.

Just seems a bit of a waste, when there's plenty of players about, who would fit that roll. Would have been nice not to burn McGinn out this season,. 2 midfield injuries and we are bare bones, with youth and Nakamba.

• Like 1