Match Thread: Villa v West Ham

limpid

'ey Deano, got your team talk for you:

InbetweenersDreadfulReaction.gif

Get Ghazi off, don't think he's had a decent touch of the ball yet, and it's not like he's making a nuisance of himself off the ball or getting back to support Cash in defence.

McGinn's not at the races either. The game seems to be something that's just happening to him (or around him), instead of him being involved in it.

Barkley is slightly better, though that's not saying much. I've noticed the last few games that he has an annoying habit of dawdling on the ball when he should be moving the ball on quickly, and speeding up when taking a second would be better.

Even Luiz seems to be lethargic today, except that great block.

Get Bert on for Ghazi, get Sanson on for McGinn and give Barkley a two-touch limit for the rest of the game.

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

I‘D be enjoying this match if Villa weren’t playing in it and coming off slightly worse. Great flowing football with quite a lot of skill on display. W Ham are creating more chances atm. So we need to get more penetration in front of their goal. And keep calmer when we do get a shot - we have missed a few sitters.

I think we are just losing the midfield battle a bit but if we can sort that we can penetrate more.

Just now, lapal_fan said:

El ghazi is probably shitting himself not to make mistakes, thus has no confidence to try things, knowing he'll lose his place.  It's making him nervous (and poor).

Plus, he's on the wrong side.

Can't really blame him.  Not much chemistry between him and Cash yet, either.

I agree with first bit but he has more career games with us on right than left though is attacking contributions are better on left

Just now, lapal_fan said:

El ghazi is probably shitting himself 

He definitely does this if he thinks a tackle is coming. The ball will be flicked away in any direction to stop him getting touched.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, smg said:

Part of the problem of playing well this season is that some expect us to be Barcelona every game, we are not we have had chances and are still level 

There are issues to be addressed, nothing to do with looking like Barcelona.

if we don't, we could easily lose another winnable game.....we are playing them in to the game too much, surrendering the initiative again in midfield.

just because we are having a good season, is no need to toss points away.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I’d be amazed if we don’t concede a goal through stupid play around our own 18 yard box. The amount of times we turn into trouble or play a daft pass into someone under pressure is mind boggling. Very similar to the way we played pre lockdown 1 actually. 

I’m probably overreacting a little but that half has really pissed me off. Basic, basic errors constantly. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

The issue is no support. We have been playing with 9 men. Mcginn and Barkley never show for the ball when we get it. Just terrible by them.

I noticed one passage of play where Cash had the ball and was just praying for someone to pass it to inside. Barkley was stood still. Cash ended up going back to Konsa then he went back to Emi. 

To me, Barkley looks knackered. Maybe he's played too much too soon after coming back and needs a break. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

I will die of shock if he changes it before 75 mins

The thing is that is what he is there for. When the team is underperforming he has players on the bench who he can bring on. He has to trust his squad more, inc the guy we’ve just spent £15m on. 

It’s about being proactive not reactive.

But hopefully the players come out for the 2nd half and are much better.

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

I think Grealish can win this for us - he tends to have a period in the middle of second halves where he takes advantage of tired defenders.

Coufal has a good handle on him so far to be fair. He's a good player.

• Like 1