Match Thread: Villa v West Ham

limpid

Looks to me like Moyes has basically come here and tried to stop us doing anything. 

Therefore, I'd stick Grealish at CAM, El Ghazi left, hook Barkley and get Traore on the right. 

This is playing into their hands, they are doubling up on Jack. 

AEG has been poor but I'd rather take Barkley off who has lost the ball a lot and seems to slow our play at times. 

Whatever we do, injecting a bit of life and tempo into this game wouldn't go amiss, it's been a bit of a chess game so far. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

Tough game so far, Anwar's been rubbish

And that’s being kind. 

Smith has to take him off. There’s being quite bad and there is having a half he’s just had. Dreadful. 

This is genuinely the first time this season where I think Smith needs to make changes at half time. Not after 55 mins, not after 60 mins, but now. I’d start with Traore for El Ghazi and then think about either Ramsey or Sanson for McGinn/Barkley (who have both been very poor). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

DS will actually have to make subs early if we continue to play like this, we’ve been really, really poor. 

Grt into them at HT, if no uplift in performance in first 10 he needs to start being proactive and looking to tweak things.

2 minutes ago, MackHaakon said:

Move Grealish away from Koufal and take off AEG. I expect Smith to show some sort of tactical creativity now.

I will die of shock if he changes it before 75 mins

I think we’ve looked poor since the Covid break. Did some great defending against Man City, had an average performance against an awful Newcastle, defensively poor against Burnley (tho some lovely stuff in the first half) then lucky v Southampton. We look a completely different team to the December one. 

• Like 2

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

And that’s being kind. 

Smith has to take him off. There’s being quite bad and there is having a half he’s just had. Dreadful. 

This is genuinely the first time this season where I think Smith needs to make changes at half time. Not after 55 mins, not after 60 mins, but now. I’d start with Traore for El Ghazi and then think about either Ramsey or Sanson for McGinn/Barkley (who have both been very poor). 

Barkley and mcginn were worse at southampton and played the whole game.  Not holding my breath

Barkley seems like a West Ham player with the amount of times his touches end up with them getting possession.

Is El Ghazi on the pitch? Simply not suited for these games, he's a flat track bully. 

West Ham looking good, Lingard has given them an extra dimension. We need to improve our build up play.

1 minute ago, Cosmik Debris said:

That’s hilarious... First successful pass by el Gaz and the whistle blows 🤣🤣

Just thought exactly this ^^

El Ghazi has been garbage in that half and given the ball away way too many times. I would definitely swap him for Bertie if he's fit. 

Why did it take until 40 minutes for Jack and El Ghazi to swap wings? They have clearly doubled up on Jack and he's had no joy down the left. El Ghazi has been playing well on the left in previous games so they should have switched much earlier. 

Barkley has also been guilty of giving the ball away far too much. There was one great through-ball from Jack that Watkins was running on to but Barkley intercepted it and lost it. He's had a poor half. 

For me, the best two Villa players have been Watkins and Martinez. Konsa, Luiz, Cash and Targett have each given the ball away in dangerous positions. McGinn had been quiet by his standards. 

Maybe this is a game for Trez and Bertie with Jack playing behind Watkins? 

Not a great half, but not a terrible half.  

They've had the better of it, but only 1 proper chance.   We’ve also had 1 proper chance. 

It feels like 1 moment of magic or 1 mistake will settle the match.

• Like 1