General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

32 minutes ago, markc said:

Be careful about criticizing the ref 😉😦

Jude Bellingham: Police investigate Borussia Dortmund midfielder's comments on referee Felix Zwayer after Bayern Munich loss

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11881/12488195/jude-bellingham-police-investigate-borussia-dortmund-midfielders-comments-on-referee-felix-zwayer-after-bayern-munich-loss

Madness 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markc said:

Be careful about criticizing the ref 😉😦

Jude Bellingham: Police investigate Borussia Dortmund midfielder's comments on referee Felix Zwayer after Bayern Munich loss

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11881/12488195/jude-bellingham-police-investigate-borussia-dortmund-midfielders-comments-on-referee-felix-zwayer-after-bayern-munich-loss

Ex small heath, no stranger to having his collar felt 😉

• Haha 1

I was curious about the reason for police involvement, as the world-class journalists at Sky Sports didn't even detail the alleged offence.

My initial thoughts were that it was outrageous for the police to be involved in any fashion, but that exposed a little bit of anglo-centrism. In the UK, it's absolutely not a police matter, but in Germany (and actually in most of Europe), defamation can be criminal whereas over here it is only ever a civil offence. I suspect young Jude wasn't too familiar with the differences between the UK and Germany legal systems' views on defamation before he gave his thoughts. 

Edited by Davkaus

9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I suspect young Jude wasn't too familiar with the differences between the UK and Germany legal systems' views on defamation before he gave his thoughts. 

He might think Bratwurst is a town in Austria, you never know how thick some of them are.

• Haha 1

I disagree that the monitor is a bit of theatre for a pre made decision.

We had that one (early this season or last season?) where the ref went over to the monitor but then stuck with his on field decision.

What they need to get away from is this clear and obvious nonsense.  That incident the other day, cant remember which but it was absolutely typical.  VAR couldn't override it because it was not a clear and obvious error but equally if he had given it VAR couldn't override that either because you could see why it would have gone either way and none was a clear and obvious error.

Take out completely the on field decision, it's an irrelevance.  The whole point of VAR is they have multiple angles and slow mo the ref on the field doesn't have.  Just say what you see and call it otherwise your more or less ignoring all of the advantages of the technology so what's the point?

A reffing mistake is a mistake whether it's clear and obvious or not.   It's an incredibly difficult job and they have a hard job to get things right in an instant in a 100 mph game.  It's no disgrace for a guy sitting away from the game with several angles, slow mo and replays will see something minor you didn't, in all truth probably couldn't spot.

Go all in or get rid I say.

• 2 weeks later...

Max Aarons faking a head injury to con the referee into stopping play is the lowest of the lows. If he's not given a ban tomorrow for bringing the game into disrepute, then what's to stop players from doing this in the future? What (de-)incentive do players have to stop faking injuries and diving?

On 14/12/2021 at 21:04, a-k said:

Max Aarons faking a head injury to con the referee into stopping play is the lowest of the lows. If he's not given a ban tomorrow for bringing the game into disrepute, then what's to stop players from doing this in the future? What (de-)incentive do players have to stop faking injuries and diving?

there is a rule where you get banned for essentially conning the ref but i think it only applies if said con results in a red card (like when bamford got el ghazi sent off)

that rule 100% should extend to any situation where the ref has had to get involed like tuesday night where he stopped the game for that fake head injury

• Like 1

Bin VAR. Make the refs accountable for their mistakes, make it like points on a driving license resulting in bans. Any bent decision affecting the outcome of a game to be reversed. Independent adjudicator to manage all this, their identity to be kept secret. 

• Like 1

On 06/12/2021 at 16:25, sidcow said:

I disagree that the monitor is a bit of theatre for a pre made decision.

We had that one (early this season or last season?) where the ref went over to the monitor but then stuck with his on field decision.

What they need to get away from is this clear and obvious nonsense.  That incident the other day, cant remember which but it was absolutely typical.  VAR couldn't override it because it was not a clear and obvious error but equally if he had given it VAR couldn't override that either because you could see why it would have gone either way and none was a clear and obvious error.

Take out completely the on field decision, it's an irrelevance.  The whole point of VAR is they have multiple angles and slow mo the ref on the field doesn't have.  Just say what you see and call it otherwise your more or less ignoring all of the advantages of the technology so what's the point?

A reffing mistake is a mistake whether it's clear and obvious or not.   It's an incredibly difficult job and they have a hard job to get things right in an instant in a 100 mph game.  It's no disgrace for a guy sitting away from the game with several angles, slow mo and replays will see something minor you didn't, in all truth probably couldn't spot.

Go all in or get rid I say.

I agree with most of this except the bit about the Monitor only being there for show.  Yes they have sometimes stuck with the on-field decision in the past but that seems to have now gone out of the window now that they supposedly only refer the ref to the monitor for "clear and obvious" errors.  The upshot of this, I believe,  is where there is any "unconscious bias" towards the bigger clubs, refs now know that if they award pens in their favour, it will only be overturned if it's a clear error.  The opposite applies for lesser clubs, where refs can freely ignore penalty claims knowing it won't upset any important people  or affect the title race and will only be overturned if clearly an error.  I had hoped VAR would eradicate this type of "unconscious bias" decision, instead it is just serving to justify it.

On the topic of the screen being for show, it's literally called out as a justification for its use in the rules. It isn't always, but not only have we heard the micced-up aussie ref talk about going over to "sell the decision" it's called out in the VAR protocol as a technique to be used to help manage the players 

On 14/12/2021 at 21:04, a-k said:

What (de-)incentive do players have to stop faking injuries and diving?

None. It's been happening for years and nothing has been done about it. Makes the sport a laughing stock in my eyes. 

34 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Makes the sport a laughing stock in my eyes. 

I agree.Watching the Arab cup and a player went down and the replay showed that his opponent only brushed past him slightly.

The way the players carry on these days,if I met one on the street I would be too afraid to shake his hand in case I hurt him .

Really want to see cynical fouls (when a team breaks) given red cards rather than yellows.  Absolutely zero intent to make a challenge or play the ball - just "take one for the team".

Case in point in the Boro vs Bournemouth game, Boro are breaking and Duncan Watmore has pushed the ball way beyond Gary Cahill.  He's running through on attack.  Cahill launches himself at Watmore with the ball a good 15 yards away.  It's ridiculous - should be a red.

• Like 2

Â