General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

Its bull. Penalty given after half time whistle should be 'completed' when the ball is touched again by anyone other than the goalkeeper. 

Goal shouldn't have stood, but ref made some lies up to add time on to not have to deal with it.

The half hadn’t ended. The ref blew his whistle to stop the game for the VAR check and not for halftime. Not quite sure why we played 2 minutes extra injury time but he didn’t blow for half time.

Wasn’t a penalty for me though.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

The half hadn’t ended. The ref blew his whistle to stop the game for the VAR check and not for halftime. Not quite sure why we played 2 minutes extra injury time but he didn’t blow for half time.

Wasn’t a penalty for me though.

Can the ref blow the whistle for a var check? I thought it had to be when the ball goes out , im pretty certain it must have been for half time

3 minutes ago, mattyvilla said:

Can the ref blow the whistle for a var check? I thought it had to be when the ball goes out , im pretty certain it must have been for half time

My understanding is and how it should be is that VAR check everything, he's watching the whole game, he reviews footage that we don't see, when he thinks he's seen something he radios in "you might want to check that" and then the ref goes and checks it

How VAR worked tonight imo was correct, I just don't agree with the decision 

And its not cleared up any grey area, it's still debatable so what's the point of it? There is no "correct" decision with that tackle and no consistency either, we don't win that penalty in front of the kop

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

My understanding is and how it should be is that VAR check everything, he's watching the whole game, he reviews footage that we don't see, when he thinks he's seen something he radios in "you might want to check that" and then the ref goes and checks it

How VAR worked tonight imo was correct, I just don't agree with the decision 

And its not cleared up any grey area, it's still debatable so what's the point of it? There is no "correct" decision with that tackle and no consistency either, we don't win that penalty in front of the kop

The ref mouthed "he won the ball" to the Arsenal player appealing immediately after the challenge. That was the refs take when right in front of the incident. He's then shown footage of the incident from an angle miles away and changes his mind.

7 minutes ago, turvontour said:

The ref mouthed "he won the ball" to the Arsenal player appealing immediately after the challenge. That was the refs take when right in front of the incident. He's then shown footage of the incident from an angle miles away and changes his mind.

The poor thing there then is still the fact that he did win the ball

And i don't think he kicked through him to get it either, I think he wrapped his toe around and got it

Still think that the way VAR was used was correct though 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's not clear and obvious, why is Michael Oliver getting involved?

Because "clear and obvious" is a wording that PGMOL wishes had never been uttered 

It should be filed alongside last man and won the ball 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The poor thing there then is still the fact that he did win the ball

And i don't think he kicked through him to get it either, I think he wrapped his toe around and got it

Still think that the way VAR was used was correct though 

It absolutely wasnt as clear cut as the commentary team were making out. I get that if you go through the back of a player then it's a pen. But if the players doing the splits you can obviously kick through to the ball. The arsenal player is clever and lunges towards Targett playing the ball. I suppose it's only what Grealish used to do for us. Annoying though that the refs take was that it was fine when 2 yards away from it. He wasnt shown anything different on the monitor to what he saw live.

• Like 1

If a defender goes to clear a ball and the attacker, who has no intention of playing the ball, purposely sticks his foot in the way of the defender so that he gets clipped, is it a foul?

1 hour ago, a-k said:

If a defender goes to clear a ball and the attacker, who has no intention of playing the ball, purposely sticks his foot in the way of the defender so that he gets clipped, is it a foul?

Yes... 

He can't kick through the other player

But that's not what I think target has done, I think he's got his foot around and his toe on the ball, the contact comes after not before so it shouldn't be a foul

I also think that if lacazette wants to stay up he can, he has the ability to plant either foot in the ground and stay up but he magically buckles instead, even tries to kick his left foot out to sell it, the fall does not correlate to the contact, its a dive 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yes... 

He can't kick through the other player

But that's not what I think target has done, I think he's got his foot around and his toe on the ball, the contact comes after not before so it shouldn't be a foul

I also think that if lacazette wants to stay up he can, he has the ability to plant either foot in the ground and stay up but he magically buckles instead, even tries to kick his left foot out to sell it, the fall does not correlate to the contact, its a dive 

Let me put it this way...if Aubameyang sticks his boot out and is hit by Emi on the follow through rather than just blocking the kick, is it a foul on Emi?

11 minutes ago, a-k said:

Let me put it this way...if Aubameyang sticks his boot out and is hit by Emi on the follow through rather than just blocking the kick, is it a foul on Emi?

On the follow through? No, not as long as there's enough contact on the ball to take it away from him, emi kicks the ball 1m away and then takes out the man stopping him getting it then it's a foul

If auba runs across him and emi kicks auba rather than the ball then of course it's a foul, regardless of whether or not auba ever touches the ball, same if emi kicks the ball through him, kicks the man first then it's a foul

The questions last night are did Targett get the ball? Did Targett take the man before he took the ball? The answers are no to both of them for me 

The inconsistency is if he takes the lot, the Burnley tackle, takes the man the ball his virginity cleans the lot out, that they're getting wrong imo and should be a foul

14 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's not clear and obvious, why is Michael Oliver getting involved?

He is a shit referee that is why. One of the worst about or he just hates Villa 

Ill give him the benefit of doubt and just say he is crap

5 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

Anthony Taylor imo is one of, if not the worst refs in the PL. Not saying that about the red card (because i think it was) 

Mike Dean says hi! 

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886uscc0hmbokvpn2g8w9

let’s face it, none of them are any good nowadays really… 

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

Anthony Taylor imo is one of, if not the worst refs in the PL. Not saying that about the red card (because i think it was) 

Taylor has some extra credit though with how well he handled the Eriksen situation

Â