General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

23 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Emi Martinez disagrees with you.

Emi will find a way.

The key for me is that we need to move the focus away from the penalty taker having to wait until everyone else is ready and move to a situation where once the penalty taker is ready the defensive team needs to have their shit together - the pressure goes on them to be prepared, not on him to wait until they are.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Which is already against the rules, they just need to consistently book each player. No warnings, just get the card out. Players ignore the rules because they know there's no downside

Here is the solution to 90% of the problems we are facing. Rules are in place, just card the **** and be done with it

• Like 3

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I tell you what I'd like to see on penalties.

The ref gives the penalty, allows a few seconds for everyone to realise the he has, then he recovers the ball and puts it on the spot - he blows his whistle to let people know the ball is now on the spot, gives everyone around ten seconds, then blows his whistle again - at that point, the penalty taker should be able to take it.

Goalkeeper off having a drink when it goes in? Tough shit.

Three players in the box when the penalty taker scores? Tough shit.

Penalty missed but two players still in the box - penalty taker gets to re-take it, players in the box booked if the ref thinks they're time-wasting.

Exactly the same rules we have now on what is and isn't an offence, but with the advantage given to the penalty taker - the defensive team can only really delay it by putting players between the ball and the goal and even then, the taker gets what becomes a free shot at getting it past them, knowing he'll get another go if they block it.

It'd stop all this gubbins we have at the moment in a heartbeat - if the penalty taker is ready he can take it, if it doesn't go in it gets re-taken if there is an offence (including the defensive team still having players in the box) they'd clear out of there sharp enough under those conditions.

Simple.

about 5 years ago when a load of FIFA rule changes were suggested by van basten or wenger along with orange cards, sin bins etc etc was the idea that like in a shoot out the ball is dead following a penalty, if the keeper saves it thats it the play is over, no rebounds

not a clue why it was accepted, it would be a great rule

as you describe above, after 10 seconds "you lot **** off to the half way line" so many problems are sorted

What was the referee doing in the first half last night when he stopped us attacking in the first half to have a talk to an Olympiacos player? I thought the player must have said something bad to the referee and was about to see a yellow or red card, but then nothing happened other than a drop ball and Olympiacos being able to reset themselves. Bizarre!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NeilS said:

What was the referee doing in the first half last night when he stopped us attacking in the first half to have a talk to an Olympiacos player? I thought the player must have said something bad to the referee and was about to see a yellow or red card, but then nothing happened other than a drop ball and Olympiacos being able to reset themselves. Bizarre!

podence ran in to luiz and then both players started peacocking

could have played on, didn't, no doubt ran over and screamed "I'm the ref" like he did on several other occasions 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

podence ran in to luiz and then both players started peacocking

could have played on, didn't, no doubt ran over and screamed "I'm the ref" like he did on several other occasions 

Luiz was running forward into the opponents half with the ball when he stopped the play, so it seemed very delayed by the referee unless he blew earlier and I hadn't noticed due to the crowd volume and being up in the North Stand Upper.

As I said in the week I like the idea of a penalty in play being like a penalty in a shoot out, it's one chance and then it's a dead ball, move all the other players to the half way line and stop all the encroachment nonsense but at the same time like we saw today, I get that a penalty is a "penalty" but the weight of the advantage so heavily favours the attacker that when the keeper does do incredibly well to pull off a save he's sat on his ass giving the striker an easy tap in 

That play should be killed off and it be a miss and a goal kick 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 03/05/2024 at 11:53, Tegis said:

Here is the solution to 90% of the problems we are facing. Rules are in place, just card the **** and be done with it

Joao Pedro made an embarrassing dive towards the end of the match today and didn't even get booked. The refs have the power to enforce but almost always do not.

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

As I said in the week I like the idea of a penalty in play being like a penalty in a shoot out, it's one chance and then it's a dead ball, move all the other players to the half way line and stop all the encroachment nonsense but at the same time like we saw today, I get that a penalty is a "penalty" but the weight of the advantage so heavily favours the attacker that when the keeper does do incredibly well to pull off a save he's sat on his ass giving the striker an easy tap in 

That play should be killed off and it be a miss and a goal kick 

Especially when a pen was given for not stopping a goal scoring chance in the first place

• Like 1

The head mounted device will provide evidence of how rat face and pals will berate him for 90 minutes until they get a decision they want while he ignores the tool he has to stop them from doing it 

• Like 2

"A special camera is attached to the referee's headset in order to film the match from his or her viewpoint. A sound link is also used to reproduce the referee's conversations on the pitch and provide viewers around the world with further insight into the job of a match official."

I'm not against the idea of this if the PL includes this.

Can't believe that offside decision, its cheating, as clear as day. The officials in Europe are hopeless,  its killing the game.

The answer is you **** off all this phase of play and interfering nonsense and just say when the pass is first made de ligt is off

With the rules that we have he's in the middle of 2 CBs holding a line, of course he's interfering, they're not playing one man but not the other, that's bollocks 

They've made a rod for their own back 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Can't believe that offside decision, its cheating, as clear as day. The officials in Europe are hopeless,  its killing the game.

Honest question, what was wrong with the decision in your opinion?

25 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The answer is you **** off all this phase of play and interfering nonsense and just say when the pass is first made de ligt is off

With the rules that we have he's in the middle of 2 CBs holding a line, of course he's interfering, they're not playing one man but not the other, that's bollocks 

They've made a rod for their own back 

Yeah offside should be offside. If you're on the pitch and not interfering with play or at least entering into the defender's thoughts then you're doing something wrong!

In this case, De Ligt was offside, clearly affecting the defenders, and then put the ball in the net. It should be offside, but in the current rules it shouldn't have been given as such (assuming that the other attacker was onside, as appears).

Even the winning goal, Joselu gains a massive advantage by being well offside until the final ball played into him. That should be offside as well!

• Like 1

Â