General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

If there is 5 minutes to go and the goalie has the ball in his area and they are set to build from the back but instead of kicking the ball to a defender,  he sits down in the 18 yard box and puts his hand on top of the ball.

The ball is in play (as it resulted in a free kick to them once it was kicked from under his hand)

As the ball is in play the 6 second rule does not apply ? 

If the goalie keeps his hand on the ball then he can just wait the 5 minutes as to move the ball is a free kick ? 

13 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I can't agree wiuth this. Sometimes a ref will only half see something, or they'll look at something and what they saw isn't the reality - humans are genuinely quite bad at perception and it's really easy for our brain to trick us when we're looking at something and not paying attention to something else. Having the video there and double checking is absolutely fine, in my book - I still think the dynamic of sending the ref over to see a screen as an act of authority theatre is absolutely ridiculous though. 

The biggest issue to come out of today, in my book, is showing still-frames or very slow motion, which we've known for years drastically changes the p[erception of what happened. Multiple angles, fine, but they should see it in real time. I can absolutely see how the ball seemed "under control" from a still image, but anybody who thinks that was under control in real time shouldn't be involved in the game.

Completely agree with this but they've backed themselves into a corner with VAR by refusing the let us hear the conversations between the VAR and Ref as they would in other sports. They want all the technology but without the accountability. They're terrified of any kind of scrutiny of "the why" in the decisions they make. Let's hear why they make/dont make some of these decisions so we can all have some clarity. The crap about "you'll hear lots of swearing on TV etc" is probably true but it would only be short term because I think it'll prompt a change in how the refs manage those situations...sending a couple of Neil Maupay's off for foul and abusive can only be a good thing. right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

If there is 5 minutes to go and the goalie has the ball in his area and they are set to build from the back but instead of kicking the ball to a defender,  he sits down in the 18 yard box and puts his hand on top of the ball.

The ball is in play (as it resulted in a free kick to them once it was kicked from under his hand)

If the goalie keeps his hand on the ball then he can just wait the 5 minutes as to move the ball is a free kick ? 

The 6 second rule refers to controlling the ball with their hands for more than 6 seconds, it'd be treated exactly the same way as a keeper holding the ball in their hands for 5 minutes

• Like 2

Just now, Davkaus said:

The 6 second rule refers to controlling the ball with their hands for more than 6 seconds, it'd be treated exactly the same way as a keeper holding the ball in their hands for 5 minutes

I know you are right but something is up with it all.  Does palm of hand count or finger tips and if so,  how many etc.

If that goal was at Anfield the goal stands.  I think that is just something we have to put up with.

10 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

by refusing the let us hear the conversations between the VAR and Ref

Imagine if we could hear VAR at Liverpool though, 

"I was in the loo, missed it,   Salah ?,  goal that was.  Go to the screen for a bit then give Liverpool a goal"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Imagine if we could hear VAR at Liverpool though, 

"I was in the loo, missed it,   Salah ?,  goal that was.  Go to the screen for a bit then give Liverpool a goal"

Or you'd hear them furiously flicking through the rule book to find some obscure 19th century rule to allow.

3 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

No. If it's under his control In his hand(s) he has to release it within 6 seconds, or be penalised with an indirect free kick.

• Like 1

The most ridiculous thing about the screen check is they seem to have gone from 3 minutes of watching incidents over and over from numerous angles to relying on a 5-10 second glance at a few frames of one angle chosen by the VAR ref.

4 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

The most ridiculous thing about the screen check is they seem to have gone from 3 minutes of watching incidents over and over from numerous angles to relying on a 5-10 second glance at a few frames of one angle chosen by the VAR ref.

Im sure the decision is already made before the ref checks. Its a show to indicate the on pitch ref has taken a look 

Video with the Aussie ref micced up its whar VAR told hin

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Im sure the decision is already made before the ref checks. Its a show to indicate the on pitch ref has taken a look 

Video with the Aussie ref micced up its whar VAR told hin

Yup, it's absolute theatre. How many times have they ever jogged over there and stuck to their guns? I remember once last season, and none at all this season

IIRC in the video you're talking about, the on field ref says something like "I best go over there to sell it"

Edited by Davkaus

15 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Tbh, as funny as it is, that's got to be a penalty. Can you imagine the reaction if he gave it though? Absolutely stupid from Mings

13 hours ago, Adman said:

Exactly, the fact that the c**** reviewing this stuff don't know the rules and can't appreciate the game as it is is bewildering.  Glad it didn't cost us

This is why something I think it is just sheer incompetence rather than something more sinister. The way the match was trending, you would think it was nailed on for a dubious late pen for this, or even the one with Luiz catching the foot), but somehow they didn't get one.

Agreed. In the heat of the moment I was very angry with yesterday's officiating. The yellow card count still stinks, but I think they're just not very good at a very challenging job.

I'd love to watch a group of officials watching back their own games, Gogglebox style

Edited by Davkaus

16 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I see the refereeing mafia are already lining up to defend the idiot officials and saying they  made the correct decision 

latest one mark Halsey  is saying it is open to interpretation whether Schmeichel has made a genuine save from Cash to justify overturning it saying it wasn't clear if the ball  had rebounded from the goalkeeper or the goalkeeper had made a save  ..

but I'm off to pray for Kasper and hope that his thumb doesn't need to be amputated after the damage it received from the non contact it received 

This is the worrying bit for the other 14, it's the get out of jail free card for the scum6 whenever they need results to go a particular way.

Interpretation = manipulation = corruption, it's happening in front of our eyes and can be justified as and when.

According to one of the commentators on AVTV.If the ball is on the ground and the GK has his hand on it,the GK has control of the ball.The commentator looked it up and read it out.Maybe its a new rule ?! 

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I see the refereeing mafia are already lining up to defend the idiot officials and saying they  made the correct decision 

latest one mark Halsey  is saying it is open to interpretation whether Schmeichel has made a genuine save from Cash to justify overturning it saying it wasn't clear if the ball  had rebounded from the goalkeeper or the goalkeeper had made a save  ..

but I'm off to pray for Kasper and hope that his thumb doesn't need to be amputated after the damage it received from the non contact it received 

That makes no sense, surely it doesn't matter either way if he has made a save or it rebounded?  I'd give them much more credit if they just owned up that in this case, none of them actually knew the finer details of the rules and cocked it up.

Â