General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

1 hour ago, May-Z said:

Luke Shaw could've had 4 yellows today. 

He blocked Cash twice, off the ball, as he went down the line. That thing is just an easy-as-you-like yellow in any game. 

Fernandez did one on Targett as well after he cleared. Again, easy yellow.

It's decisions like these, that are rife when playing the Manchester clubs, that just stop you building any pressure up and swing the game back to them.

If Shaw was on a yellow for that, he doesn't wipe out Ramsey when he pokes it past him at the edge of the box....or he does and sees red. 

Sure they would have probably booked Ramsey for diving 😂

• 2 weeks later...

The referee in the Brentford match made a balls of a red card decision today, and was saved by VAR, and then by the outcome of the free kick. Late challenge on a Brentford player, play continues and advantage is played because Brentford are on the attack, 2 seconds pass as Brentford bear down on goal, and the referee blows. Calls the tackle on the Brentford player a red card offence, so he stops the play and gives the red card. The tackle is late but not high or dangerous. VAR tells him to review it. He changes his mind to give a yellow, but Brentford have lost their promising attack.

Now Brentford did end up scoring from the free kick, but is that the rule to not play advantage if you're going to give a red card? What if a player is about to tap the ball into an empty net after the Goalkeeper has pulled down the striker outside the box. Does the referee stop the play, and award the free kick, send off the keeper and say that that was in the rules? Seems like a really bad refereeing decision and/or a very stupid rule.

• 3 weeks later...

I obviously see more Villa games then any other team but I'm left feeling the same after every game no matter who the ref is. Our players get kicked all over the park with little consequence, it was 45 minutes last night before a Leeds player was booked. We on the other hand seem to be a bit less tough in the tackle, in previous matches we seem to get booked for a minor infraction. We seem to approach games with this in mind.

I remember a game Vs ManU where it was outrageous and then finally either Pogba or Maguire got booked after about 80mins after kicking the shit out of our lads all match.

Just my observations but its pretty obvious to me that there is an agenda here somewhere.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I obviously see more Villa games then any other team but I'm left feeling the same after every game no matter who the ref is. Our players get kicked all over the park with little consequence, it was 45 minutes last night before a Leeds player was booked. We on the other hand seem to be a bit less tough in the tackle, in previous matches we seem to get booked for a minor infraction. We seem to approach games with this in mind.

I remember a game Vs ManU where it was outrageous and then finally either Pogba or Maguire got booked after about 80mins after kicking the shit out of our lads all match.

Just my observations but its pretty obvious to me that there is an agenda here somewhere.

everton got away with murder, im sure ramsey had at least 3 fouls after he had beat his man and was free to run and from memory only one of them was booked 

it is hard to tell but the use of yellow cards does seem all over the shop

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

everton got away with murder, im sure ramsey had at least 3 fouls after he had beat his man and was free to run and from memory only one of them was booked 

Your last sentence sums it up but (and I do not have stats to back this up) I bet it's slanted towards some more then others, could be corrupt, might not be but there is normally a money trail leading somewhere.

12 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Your last sentence sums it up but (and I do not have stats to back this up) I bet it's slanted towards some more then others, could be corrupt, might not be but there is normally a money trail leading somewhere.

i dunno, id like to think that the ref gets a feel for the game and the atmosphere and shapes his performance in a certain way but then you can end up with them losing it

again everton for example was good with some proper tasty but fair tackles and then it also wasnt, we had 2 shirts torn off players backs, mcginn makes a brilliant crunching tackle and that makes it ok to go full WWE at every set piece?

every game seems to be different for different reasons but the number of times we dont get the benefit of 2 yellow cards is definitely a weird unprovable thing, not just this season either, i have vague memories of brighton and bournemouth having to make early subs because someone had fouled grealish 5 more times after getting their first yellow

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

i dunno, id like to think that the ref gets a feel for the game and the atmosphere and shapes his performance in a certain way but then you can end up with them losing it

again everton for example was good with some proper tasty but fair tackles and then it also wasnt, we had 2 shirts torn off players backs, mcginn makes a brilliant crunching tackle and that makes it ok to go full WWE at every set piece?

every game seems to be different for different reasons but the number of times we dont get the benefit of 2 yellow cards is definitely a weird unprovable thing, not just this season either, i have vague memories of brighton and bournemouth having to make early subs because someone had fouled grealish 5 more times after getting their first yellow

I'm hoping you are right but loving in the UK with a government like ours I feel anything is possible and probable.

McGinn definitely likes a battle. 

2 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

We made more fouls last night than Leeds and they got more cards than us, same happened in the Everton game

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

We made more fouls last night than Leeds and they got more cards than us, same happened in the Everton game

how is that possible? they **** battered us, that's one of the most aggressive performances from a team I've seen in a long time

Just now, villa4europe said:

how is that possible? they **** battered us, that's one of the most aggressive performances from a team I've seen in a long time

Apparently we had 16 fouls to Everton 14 fouls and they got 5 yellow cards to our 4

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Earlier this season, can't remember against who (i think Man City and Leicester) and we had something like 30 fouls against us and 2 yellows.

This bollocks is worse than borderline VAR decisions and impacts the game far more.

54 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The number is irrelevant, Ben Mee wasn't deemed to be a foul on Wesley. That could be 14 leg breakers vs 16 50/50 balls that the refs rarely give our way. Don't defend the undefendable, the stats never tell the true story. 

9 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Another game where we're kicked off the park, absurd number of fouls, yet we end up with more bookings.

PGMOL hate us.

I thought our fouls were generally more cynical tbh (aside from the McGinn tackle of course).

Edit: by cynical I mean clear yellows

Edited by bobzy

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

I thought our fouls were generally more cynical tbh (aside from the McGinn tackle of course).

Edit: by cynical I mean clear yellows

I would say at least 15 of their fouls were cynical. The one on Bailey, for a player already on a yellow was the worst.

How can a team have 23 fouls and 3 yellows? Makes a mockery of the system.

And then the ones that weren't given, this lead to the goal

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 4

They’re ruining football matches. It’s THAT bad. Stick to one definition for a foul - we either play modern, non contact football or we play the firm but fair rules I grew up with in the 90s

now we have a brush of a hand on a shoulder being VAR checked as a penalty but tearing a shirt off the opposition isn’t even a foul.

Making me despise this game.

• Like 2

Â