Match Thread: Man City v Villa

limpid

I rekon/hope we will have warmed up and been encouraged by the fist half.

A few tweaks, better final decision making and a smash and grab could very well be on the cards.

Some of Citys play is like watching an advanced Fifa player though. Bloody hell.

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Everyone else looks off the pace, Luiz has reverted to the Luiz we saw for the first part of last season, the game just goes on around him

I keep wondering who's had covid symptoms. 

Foden looks really good and the most likely to do anything from either team, he's staying wide too whereas cash comes narrow, he has the time to pick out a midfielder running from deep, that looks like their goal, fortunately the blocking has been exceptional

Showing tonight that martinez having so many clean sheets isn't just him, all 4 defenders playing very well

Its a case of do we have a slip of concentration and concede or do we stop some of the poor decision making at the other end and score, Barkley on particular has had 2 or 3 where a better pass would be a chance 

• Like 3

I think we've done well, defended with real commitment and competed all over the place, but we're not quite sharp on the break, the last ball, the final idea, doesn't quite seem to be there.

City are terrifying, they move the ball, they move the defence, it's hard to believe they won't score in the second half and I think we might need to score two to get anything out of this one - but I'm quite pleased with how we've done so far, we just need that little bit of a click on the break.

What surprised me was that City are such a threat in the air from set pieces; they're really dangerous from corners and free kicks. 

• Like 4

This is an excellent performance so far.

If a couple of the sniffs had come to Jack instead of Barkley/Watkins we'd have scored.

Excellent structure around our box.

Edited by Tomaszk

3 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Barkley has a moment of magic bubbling under the service but isn’t up to match speed, but he does look dangerous and creative.

Dunno, seemed more wasteful than anything, trying too much fancy stuff

I’m actually encouraged by this. We’re not a million miles from matching them and honestly think we’d be ahead if we were fully match-sharp. A few of our guys just seem, understandably, a couple of percent off it but it’s not for lack of effort.