Morgan Sanson

Delphinho123

23 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Surprised nobody picked up on Greg Evans article this week in which he says Villa were so convinced Man City would take up the buy back option on Luiz they got Sanson in as a ready made replacement.  Then he was sort of surplus once Man City declined to buy Luiz back.

Even if that was true - there was multiple times we could have used both of them, so a load of rubbish IMO.

As to why Sanson didn't work out here, no idea, he's clearly a capable footballer. My take is probably:

Injured a lot of the time under Smith, hard to get into a proper rhythm and properly adjust to English football.

Under Gerrard - the clown had no idea how to set up a midfield and Sanson wasn't one of his favourites. Steven was also petty enough to hold that bottle kick against him.

Under Emery - by this point he was desperate for game time and probably low on confidence. Easy decision to loan him out and get him game time.

Edited by Tom13

• 2 months later...

If he’s done well and impressed… you’d think he’d have suitors from around Europe…

not sure he has, to that extent, so we’ll probably have to make do with a small fee and a move for him to French league…

He’s just not as good as many thought but seemed like a useful squad member… not sure he got a fair shake here either though but had injury issues also…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

He seemed to have all the attributes to do well, he’s also the kind of signing we’re asking for now when looking from afar. 

Unfortunately hasn’t worked out, could be the system, managers, attitude, doesn’t suit the league or we just got it wrong. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

If he’s done well and impressed… you’d think he’d have suitors from around Europe…

not sure he has, to that extent, so we’ll probably have to make do with a small fee and a move for him to French league…

He’s just not as good as many thought but seemed like a useful squad member… not sure he got a fair shake here either though but had injury issues also…

Yeah it’s a shame because he and Kamara formed one of the better Ligue 1 midfield pairings during their time together.

But hey, if we can manage to at least recoup our investment I’ll take that as a win.

1 hour ago, Nicho said:

He seemed to have all the attributes to do well, he’s also the kind of signing we’re asking for now when looking from afar. 

Unfortunately hasn’t worked out, could be the system, managers, attitude, doesn’t suit the league or we just got it wrong. 

I think his problem is that, he's just a good all round player, with no stand out attributes for the PL.

Obviously could be useful to many a squad still though.

I really like him and do think he is good enough for the prem.

What surprised me is that Unai bought him back into the fold initially but then shipped him back out again, almost as quick.

Now for Unai to bring him back - tells me that he knew that he could play - but what happened thereafter ? 

6 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think his problem is that, he's just a good all round player, with no stand out attributes for the PL.

Obviously could be useful to many a squad still though.

I'd always describe him from what I saw as neat and tidy. Kept ball o.k under pressure and then moved it on so if he'd had a run of 4-5 starts at any stage he could've kicked on.

The last two games he started for us in prem were Chelsea and Man. United at home in 21/22, McGinn was out for both so basically he was never going to figure much under Slippy. And then he gave up on Sanson when a sloppy pass gave away goal v Man. United.

He should've played a bit more under Smith imo especially when we had that run of defeats towards the end of his time here. I think he had a decent match at Chelsea in the cup so you'd have thought he'd had made some prem starts pretty soon after but it never happened.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Jas10 said:

His team are 2nd in the league and they have money. A lot of other clubs in Europe dont have that much money and pay Premier League wages

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Zatman said:

His team are 2nd in the league and they have money. A lot of other clubs in Europe dont have that much money and pay Premier League wages

Sounds good… hopefully they turn that move permanent then. Both Morgan and the club can move on and forwards…

54 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yes problems in last few seasons is we've loaned him to clubs who just didn't have the budget to sign him full time. Considering Nice have signed loads of top end prem players in last few years he should be well within their budget.

The 4 and a half year deal also an issue, still has 18 months left.

Â