Morgan Sanson

Delphinho123

9 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

We sign a lot of players, bin them off kill their value and loan them out until contract expiry.

Not a good business model.

Hopefully due to change under Monchi.

8 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

We sign a lot of players, bin them off kill their value and loan them out until contract expiry.

Like every other PL team. All teams have a large negative net spend that's the way the League works. 

Premier League five-year net spend table: Onana deal sees Man Utd close gap on Arsenal (football365.com)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I think there's often been a lack of cohesion with some of the signings. Good player, shit team. Shit player, ok team. Right player, wrong manager(s), etc.

The key thing is we have now is a truly elite management structure that understands exactly what they want in their team. This should mitigate some of the risk of new signings ending up in the Turkey / perennial loan bin.

People wonder how Man City get so much money for some of their fringe players. The knock-on effect of a player in the squad of a Guardiola team outweighs the currency of having played regularly for a Dean Smith team for example.

Hopefully we start to see some good fees for players that play a role for Don Unai, but may not have a longer term future as we become more successful.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

It also seems we sign players that our manager(s) don't want. Sanson never got a chance under Smith so it's safe to conclude he wasn't part of the decision to sign him. 

2 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Sanson never got a chance under Smith so it's safe to conclude he wasn't part of the decision to sign him. 

He got injured not long after signing and doubt he was match fit often. Chelsea cup game I was at, he broke down but was MOTM to that point. 

9 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

It's the only business model. When you sign 5 players, more than likely 1 or 2 won't work out.

It's like any other business. You can't make perfect hires every time. In football you can bench them or loan them - in another business you are stuck with Karen or Scott who are just not very good and can't be fired. 

A chance to loan them out is great because it cushions the cost of that player, and gives them another chance to market themselves for a possible sale.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, villa89 said:

It also seems we sign players that our manager(s) don't want. Sanson never got a chance under Smith so it's safe to conclude he wasn't part of the decision to sign him. 

At the time there were 3 people involved in signings, deano said so himself, they had a WhatsApp group where they would make suggestions on transfers. I imagine if 2 out of 3 said yes then it meant they would try and sign the player.

Now it will be just 2 who make the decisions and I imagine they would both have to agree ? 

2 hours ago, brummybloke said:

At the time there were 3 people involved in signings, deano said so himself, they had a WhatsApp group where they would make suggestions on transfers. I imagine if 2 out of 3 said yes then it meant they would try and sign the player.

Now it will be just 2 who make the decisions and I imagine they would both have to agree ? 

I don’t think it works entirely like that some players are offered by agents , some are presented by scouts. But for the most part the way Monchi works is the head coach identifies the profile of player needed then he and his team work towards finding a suitable target.

5 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Like every other PL team. All teams have a large negative net spend that's the way the League works. 

Premier League five-year net spend table: Onana deal sees Man Utd close gap on Arsenal (football365.com)

That's fine except all the teams above us on that list have champions league football and far far larger income than we do.

We can't afford under FFP to do this all the time.

Sanson 

Traore

Trezuguet

El Ghazi 

As examples off the top of my head where money  isburned with very little coming back in in way of resale value. 

I suppose the only point to that is most of those are players from our promotion season and now maybe we won't be in that position again once that initial group of players that are unwanted will move on.

7 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

I think there's often been a lack of cohesion with some of the signings. Good player, shit team. Shit player, ok team. Right player, wrong manager(s), etc.

The key thing is we have now is a truly elite management structure that understands exactly what they want in their team. This should mitigate some of the risk of new signings ending up in the Turkey / perennial loan bin.

People wonder how Man City get so much money for some of their fringe players. The knock-on effect of a player in the squad of a Guardiola team outweighs the currency of having played regularly for a Dean Smith team for example.

Hopefully we start to see some good fees for players that play a role for Don Unai, but may not have a longer term future as we become more successful.

Tifo did a good video yesterday about it. Apparently a study was done and only 53% of all Premier League transfers are successful

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mic09 said:

It's the only business model. When you sign 5 players, more than likely 1 or 2 won't work out.

It's like any other business. You can't make perfect hires every time. In football you can bench them or loan them - in another business you are stuck with Karen or Scott who are just not very good and can't be fired. 

A chance to loan them out is great because it cushions the cost of that player, and gives them another chance to market themselves for a possible sale.

Depends...

image.png.643c6553ea93a0cd466ed057925c8db4.png

4 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

That's fine except all the teams above us on that list have champions league football and far far larger income than we do.

We can't afford under FFP to do this all the time.

Sanson 

Traore

Trezuguet

El Ghazi 

As examples off the top of my head where money  isburned with very little coming back in in way of resale value. 

I suppose the only point to that is most of those are players from our promotion season and now maybe we won't be in that position again once that initial group of players that are unwanted will move on.

My point seems lost on you. You pay money for your asset to play football which earns you income. The price you buy or sell the asset is a secondary thing. All PL clubs lose money on transfers. The teams above and below us in that table. 

Furthermore there was a tifo video about why half of PL transfers are failures. Half, yes half. 

Edited by CVByrne

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Tifo did a good video yesterday about it. Apparently a study was done and only 53% of all Premier League transfers are successful

Thats the video I'm referring to yes 

9 hours ago, villa89 said:

Not true as has been proven a million times before on this thread. Sanson was injured under Smith a couple of months after joining during COVID. Smith was fired the next season just as Sanson came back to fitness. 

10 minutes ago, Ceemo said:

Nice have gave us €1m in a loan fee and have a €5 million option to buy included in the loan deal according to French media.

So €6m in total, what was the amount we could sell him for under FFP? Does it say how much of his salary they are covering?

Â