Morgan Sanson

Delphinho123

On 17/05/2022 at 14:27, Made In Aston said:

I'd lock this thread up, as he is a dead man walking and will be moved on in the summer. 

I think us signing Kamara might just give him a second chance… I might be wrong but I think with Nakamba and Douglas Luiz very possibly leaving, he might be kept around as a squad player next season to see if he can break into the team with his old Marseille teammate… and if nothing else to help him integrate. Or failing that maybe I am totally wrong and we will be selling him to Marseille since they have a gap…

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 4

Has good pedigree showed some great little moments the small time he did play. Looked composed with good balance and technique.

Stands to reason we didn't see him barely kick a ball whilst all our other midfielders were dying on their arses

if it's a choice between him and luiz it's no choice to be made. sanson any day of the week.

really hoping roma or someone come in with a silly offer for luiz that we cannot refuse that forces us to keep sanson

i think marv will be kept as a backup to kamara

• Like 2

My what if for yesterday is him coming on instead of Nakamba. Coutinho gave us a lot of composure on the ball, which disappeared completely without him. In Nakamba we put on pretty much Coutinho's opposite player. Sanson might have given us some fresh legs while maintaining some of that composure and quality. I'm pretty disappointed in how we've used him. It seems like a massive waste.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Rolta said:

My what if for yesterday is him coming on instead of Nakamba. Coutinho gave us a lot of composure on the ball, which disappeared completely without him. In Nakamba we put on pretty much Coutinho's opposite player. Sanson might have given us some fresh legs while maintaining some of that composure and quality. I'm pretty disappointed in how we've used him. It seems like a massive waste.

There's no scenario where Nakamba gives us more on the pitch than Sanson.

He'll be one of the great mysteries.

• Like 2

I hope the rumours of Palace being in for him are true. Would be real interesting to see him have a crack at another team in the Prem to see if any of us were right when calling for him to be picked.

• Like 2

I said I'd love him to go to a PL side and play just to see if he's as good as I'm sure he is. He's welcome to play well against everyone except us.

There's no way he's notably worse across a season than Luiz or McGinn.

I presume we should thank the lad as well for not putting us away when Kamara asked him about us. Surely absolutely no chance he didn't message to ask what it was like?

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

I said I'd love him to go to a PL side and play just to see if he's as good as I'm sure he is. He's welcome to play well against everyone except us.

There's no way he's notably worse across a season than Luiz or McGinn.

I presume we should thank the lad as well for not putting us away when Kamara asked him about us. Surely absolutely no chance he didn't message to ask what it was like?

It's frustrating because he made one mistake and that was it. Splinters in the arse from the bench from then on.

30 minutes ago, AV82 said:

I hope the rumours of Palace being in for him are true. Would be real interesting to see him have a crack at another team in the Prem to see if any of us were right when calling for him to be picked.

That's also a team that finished ahead of us asking about a guy who can hardly get a minute of playing time.

43 minutes ago, MrOM15 said:

I hope you do too! I don’t think we ever tried him at that spot. 😁 I don’t see why he would be put in that role. But I guess that you could always try things out. I mean we moved him out of a defensive role and moved him into the midfield.😅

Any thoughts and insight on Sanson?

Would like to keep him on.

Said it since his arrival I thought he'd eventually earn a place as a starter, and perhaps at the cost of players who I rate highly.

Can't really understand why we didn't see more of him, but perhaps it wasn't down to him being thought of as lacking in any area, and more that the manager wanted as much consistency as possible in midfield, so that he could deal with the conundrum of selecting who will play forward of them.

Bailey, Coutinho, Watkins, Ings, Buendia, Traore all good options to pick from.

Still wanted to see more of Sanson, and I hope we do yet 

• Like 1

Unfortunately it hasn't worked for Morgan here, long term injuries and the emergence of Ramsay has limited his play time. He has looked good in the rare appearances he has made but I think he'll be back in France for the new season.

On 18/05/2022 at 22:17, VillaChris said:

Well Smith's reign ended with Sanson chucking a water bottle at one of the staff by all accounts and then he was exiled for the next game v West Ham so I think it's too easy to say he would've been a regular starter if Dean had just stayed.

When we were losing 5 in a row Sanson wasn't starting. Neither was Ramsey.

Got to wonder, does he have a shit attitude?

Because everything I've seen on the pitch from him I like. So I'm not overly convinced it's necessarily an on the pitch issue?

It's just bizarre.

As @Steero113 said though, he could be the unfortunate Keinan type when it comes to us.

Injuries, illnesses and players stepping up in his place at the worst times.

44 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It’s all about getting as much money back as possible now on him. 

Don’t Think we will get a lot of money back though with his injury record for us. Needs an injury free spell and minutes to make it worth anything.

48 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It’s all about getting as much money back as possible now on him. 

Can't see us recouping much of the original fee.  £15m I think.  He'll be loaned back to France for small fees until his contract expires, isn't that the Villa way? :D 

• Like 1

Credit to him selling the club to Kamara despite not getting much playing time.

Sanson himself admitted quite shortly after he arrived that he struggled with the tempo and physicality of the Premier League. Some players who are great in other leagues struggle in the prem, for some it takes time to adapt. Sanson has had time to adapt and probably it's simply the case that he still struggles with the tempo and physicality. I think he has looked bright in some of his cameos, but he has also made a couple of mistakes, which often is a result of struggling to adapt to the tempo. He was said to be a tough tackler, but is quite thin and not that physical. One can say that he has been unlucky with injuries, but that is also a sign of him not having the physique required.

I dont think Gerrard has anything in particular against him, I don't think there is some kind of conspiracy or unonkw reason to why he doesn't play, it's probably as simple as the management team see him in training every day and see that he struggles a bit. Probably he realizes it himself as well, at least he doesn't seem to have anything against the club, if so he wouldn't have sold it to Kamara.

I think it's a talented player in there, I hope he can come over his injuries, come back strong after pre season, adapt to the tempo and be a player for us next season. Doens't look very likely though. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Credit to him selling the club to Kamara despite not getting much playing time.

Sanson himself admitted quite shortly after he arrived that he struggled with the tempo and physicality of the Premier League. Some players who are great in other leagues struggle in the prem, for some it takes time to adapt. Sanson has had time to adapt and probably it's simply the case that he still struggles with the tempo and physicality. I think he has looked bright in some of his cameos, but he has also made a couple of mistakes, which often is a result of struggling to adapt to the tempo. He was said to be a tough tackler, but is quite thin and not that physical. One can say that he has been unlucky with injuries, but that is also a sign of him not having the physique required.

I dont think Gerrard has anything in particular against him, I don't think there is some kind of conspiracy or unonkw reason to why he doesn't play, it's probably as simple as the management team see him in training every day and see that he struggles a bit. Probably he realizes it himself as well, at least he doesn't seem to have anything against the club, if so he wouldn't have sold it to Kamara.

I think it's a talented player in there, I hope he can come over his injuries, come back strong after pre season, adapt to the tempo and be a player for us next season. Doens't look very likely though. 

Good post, and read.

I personally think it's more likely that it was considered too risky to change the dynamics of the midfield to include Sanson. As much as we like to say otherwise, none of our midfield three in JJ, Dougie and McGinn are poor midfielders. I think its the composition added by the tactical approach that causes issues. If I'm honest as much as I rate Sanson from an IQ, vision, and technical pov, I'm not entirely convinced I see him improving the dynamic on what we opted for week in week out already. 

We won't know until we see it given a go.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Thanks 1

Â